What Color And Why?

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
New guy here. I have a Superformance MKII on the way. I have just a few days left to e-mail my color choice. What color would you paint my car and why? Some cars have a color that shows all the lines and it withstands the test of time. The basic color choices I have can be found at Superformance Complete Replicars. Click on the cobra and then click on the small "paint shop" option. These colors can be greatly expanded at my request. What color would you choose? Whereas I have my opinion that I'm comfortable with, I've seen only a few 40s up close so I need a much broader perspective.

I'm glad to be here. There's a lot to learn and the knowledge level the members have is high.

For God's sake, anything but Gulf colors!!! :dead: ;)

I think that light colors will show flaws in panel alignment more than dark colors, while dark colors will show flaws in the finish more than light colors. Since SPF cars are supposed to be flawless, I guess you can't go wrong.

Obviously, color is a highly personal preference. I'm going for white (maybe a pearl) with blue stripes. I also think that Hertz Mustang colors would look great on a GT40 - black with metallic gold stripes. Do what you think is best!

A major part of many enthusiasts' enjoyment of these cars is researching and then replicating a historic GT as closely as they (we) can. My chosen model is the late silver P/1033 last known to have been in the stables of Scuderia Filipinetti of Geneva. The SPF GT is a very accurate replicar touted to have 90% of its parts interchangeable with the originals, so you wouldn't have too far to search and do. Ronnie Spain's book is a good start just to check out which Mk IIs were delivered or painted how. P/1049 with Metallic Diamond Blue with Silver sill stripes would be a very striking paint scheme.

Congratulations and have fun!

Now if we could just replicate those awesome Borani wheels...

My Superformance MKI (shipping today) is Titanium. I chose it as I think it's the best color for emphasizing all the compound curves and sculpted shapes that make the GT40 so attractive. With the non-metallic solid colors, that gets lost, since light doesn't reflect in the same way. On the other hand, stone chips are easy to fix with the solid colors. But hey, it's your car. Try going over to the Superformance dealer and looking at the Cobras he has in the different colors. If possible, check them out in sunlight. One thing is certain, your '40 will look spectacular in whatever color you choose!

Rick,
I actually know a Dayton dealer/distributor and can get pretty hefty discounts. He said the pin drive style can be done with these wires style. As a semi-custom order, he ball parked around $900 each. He would borrow a front and a rear wheel to copy the hub center and figure the offsets, I guess.
I wonder if this would make for a great group-buy...

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
JCoop said:
A major part of many enthusiasts' enjoyment of these cars is researching and then replicating a historic GT as closely as they (we) can.

I know the Amon car is historically significant. I have that color combination as an option. What others do you remember that would replicate succesful times for the GT40?

The silver and titanium colors are striking. The MKII that I test drove was titanium with black stripes.... cool.

Doc Watson

Lifetime Supporter
1966 Le Mans....... the car that should have won..... If I had a MkII this is what it would be...... (this month that is.........lol)

Andy

Attachments

• 1966Gurney.jpg
    1966Gurney.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 1,242
JCoop said:
I actually know a Dayton dealer/distributor and can get pretty hefty discounts. He said the pin drive style can be done with these wires style. As a semi-custom order, he ball parked around $900 each. He would borrow a front and a rear wheel to copy the hub center and figure the offsets, I guess.
I wonder if this would make for a great group-buy...

Count me out.........never liked cleaning the bbq grill so I can just imagine the price of nostalgia with these babies. Read a number stories about their failures causing retirements during the racing days too! Just my preference!

Hahaaa!:lol: Thanks for reminding me, Steve. I forgot that the reason I bought my first powerwasher was to clean the wires of a MGB I had. I may have sold it at the time since I could never get those suckers to balance either.:eek:

>>I know the Amon car is historically significant. I have that color combination as an option. What others do you remember that would replicate succesful times for the GT40?

The silver and titanium colors are striking. The MKII that I test drove was titanium with black stripes.... cool.<<
SideBySide.jpg

When I parked next to this Guardsman Blue original, I oggled it for at least an hour.

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
JCoop said:
>>I know the Amon car is historically significant. I have that color combination as an option. What others do you remember that would replicate succesful times for the GT40?

The silver and titanium colors are striking. The MKII that I test drove was titanium with black stripes.... cool.<<
SideBySide.jpg

When I parked next to this Guardsman Blue original, I oggled it for at least an hour.

Thanks for the picture. Blue is definitely a royal color. Good fit for the 40. Did it have metal flake or was it the traditional blue? Which would you go with?

If I remember correctly, this one had a fine silvery base making it a muted metallic. The Portofino Blue in SPF's color choices is also quite nice, but the darker Guardsman Blue sets off any shiny stuff that's on the body. Royal Blue is too dark for a 40, although beautiful on a Cobra. If it were me, I'd opt for no stripes and do street trim. Sandy in this forum has a few of those wings for the Djus fasteners, and Europaspares or Burton has the requisite badging. You can always add the stripes and numbers with static cling material later when you want to track the car. IF you have the option, go for the 3M clear bra, although Colorado may have cleaner roads than New York. Still, it shields aginst road rash quite well. Whichever route you take, I'm extremely jealous as the SPF is quite a car. My Cobra speaks for their high level of craftsmanship and attention to detail.
Are you going to fly to SA to watch it roll off the assy line?:pepper:

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
JCoop said:
If I remember correctly, this one had a fine silvery base making it a muted metallic. You can always add the stripes and numbers with static cling material later when you want to track the car. IF you have the option, go for the 3M clear bra, although Colorado may have cleaner roads than New York. Still, it shields aginst road rash quite well.
Are you going to fly to SA to watch it roll off the assy line?:pepper:
Going with metallic is a consistent recommendation of everyone I've asked off of this forum. Have you seen roundals stick without a problem that are the static cling type? I would like those for track days but an alternative to permanent roundals would be my preference. 3M will be added because Colorado has lots of sand and gravel left over after the snow melts and roads are driveable again. Going to Africa would be great but the schedule won't allow it.

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
<br /> <b>Parse error</b>: parse error, unexpected T_CASE in <b>/home/gt40s/public_html/forum/ajax.php(52) : eval()'d code</b> on line <b>26</b><br />
daryl adams said:
My Superformance MKI (shipping today)

Darly -
What was the lag time between order and shipping? I'm trying to get some idea, based on recent factory activity, what my shipping date is. The official word is the factory does four 40s per month but if demand has picked way up, they may accelerate the monthly production quota.

Steve,

From the time I placed the deposit to the shipping date was about 20 months. Another month for it to get to Dennis Olthoff's. Given the current transaxle shortage, that means it will probably be approaching two years by the time the drivetrain is installed, suspension dialed in, and the car is shipped to my garage. You have to remember, though, that when I ordered the car they had not even begun working on the MKI cars. I think they are now gearing up for significant production. Lance made a post here someplace about the current factory output. I think they are catching up now, so that your wait won't be anywhere near that long.

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
I chose Superformance Guardsman Blue with Wimbledon stripes. After viewing almost a hundred pictures and talking with a great variety of folks, I'm convinced all colors on the GT40 look good. The lines support just about any color combination. I think that's why there were so many different color iterations in the 60s. The colors I chose are very traditional and Superformance puts a slight metallic base in it. Thanks to everyone who had a recommendation.

Ron Earp

Admin
daryl adams said:
Steve,

From the time I placed the deposit to the shipping date was about 20 months. Another month for it to get to Dennis Olthoff's. Given the current transaxle shortage, that means it will probably be approaching two years by the time the drivetrain is installed, suspension dialed in, and the car is shipped to my garage. You have to remember, though, that when I ordered the car they had not even begun working on the MKI cars. I think they are now gearing up for significant production. Lance made a post here someplace about the current factory output. I think they are catching up now, so that your wait won't be anywhere near that long.

Hey Daryl,

do you know what the current time is for delivery? I've heard conlicting reports - some cite a few months, while others cite a wait time of > 1.5 years. It seems that there is a lot of misinformation out there on the delivery time. I've heard a backog of orders > than 90 units, and that a person could have a car by early Spring.

Also, how many folks on the forum have delivery of one, that is have one in their garage? I know that at least two people do, but they aren't frequent posters. Just interested to know how they are getting on and enjoying the car.

Ron

Back