SPF MKI & MKII at London Auto Show

So, have any of you folks in Britain had a chance to see the Superformance cars up close at the London show? I'm especially interested in your assessment of the MKI.

yes Daryl, some of us had a good look over it at the classic car show the other week.

It looks stunning. The only negative comments are with regard to left hand drive / central gear change.
Oh, and that the ZF transaxle was only mounted via the two ears on the top cover plate. This is a recipe for disaster with a powerful engine...

Anything in particular you want to know ?

Thanks John. You bring up an interesting point. I just finished re-installing the drive train in my Mangusta, which has the same mounting design you mention. The forward mounts, at the engine block, had failed due to header heat and uplift load from the engine under heavy accelleration in the lower gears. However, the mounts at the ZF/transaxle beam were in fine shape, with no deformation of the bushings, and no evidence of strain damage. Is there a better mount scheme? How were the original MKI's configured? I would think that, as long as the mounts at the engine block are sufficiently robust, the transaxle mounts make sense. Unless, that is, the "ears" have been shown to fail. They seem pretty stout to me.

Daryl, I have also inspected the two superformance cars in the UK, and can confirm Johns comments. The original cars had two additional mounting lugs on the lower edge of the bellhousing, which carried a large amount of the load of the gearbox without the need of extending the chassis further back along the gearbox, adding weight. The superformance appears to have the original holes in the chassis to pick up these mounts, and the factory are looking at modifying the bellhousing currently, new original pattern bellhousings are available in the UK. Also, RBT make a subframe mount to go under the belly of the gearbox, but I am not sure how this will work with this chassis. As John has said, and I agree, not having additional mounts could be a recipe for disaster. Frank

Back