GT40s.com
MK-I  MK-II  MK-III  MK-IV  GULF  MIRAGE  J-CAR  LOLA
GT40s.com
Home Forum Gallery Support GT40s.com  
Register FAQ Advertisers Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   GT40s.com > GT40 Replica Manufacturers' Corner > Superformance GT40s

Superformance GT40s Sponsored by Superformance.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 19th November 2006, 10:52 AM   #1 (permalink)
Paul Champlin
Rookie
United States

Registration ????'s

Since it is delivered as a roller, would you still have to go through SB 100 (I'm in California) to get it registered or can it get around that to get a VIN #?
TIA,
Paul
Old 19th November 2006, 10:58 AM   #2 (permalink)
Bill D
I Have No Life
United States

Re: Registration ????'s

Paul-
If you want to avoid having to load the car with current yer smog equipment, you will have to go through the SB100 route. I received a roller from RCR and plan to be in line Jan 2nd for my SB100 #

BTW - I had an FFR Cobra too
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 19th November 2006, 11:03 AM   #3 (permalink)
Paul Champlin
Rookie
United States

Hey Bill,
Yeah I've tracked your progress on the other forum. You're doing a great job in your build. I suspected I'd need to still do the SB 100 thing, but wasn't sure if receiving a roller, changed any of those requirements.
Thanks,
Paul
Old 19th November 2006, 11:33 AM   #4 (permalink)
David Briggs
Bronze Supporter
United States

GT40: SPF MKI #2214
Cool Re: Registration ????'s

Your car needs to be running, CHP has to verify Vin #, Referee Station has to run a smog check on the car to Issue exemption, you need a Brake and Lamp certification. Immediately contact DMV to get the necessary forms and get a Temporary operating permit. If you are standing in line on the 1st business day of the year you will probably not get a certificate, you need someone in the DMV on the phone to Sacramento to give you the best chance.
SPF MKI #2214, 65 R model clone, 67 Al Craft Indy Car, 10 Genesis Track Coupe, 02 Lightning
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 19th November 2006, 02:02 PM   #5 (permalink)
huntsen
8 Tenths
United Kingdom

GT40: Factory-blt GTD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 561234
Your car needs to be running, CHP has to verify Vin #, Referee Station has to run a smog check on the car to Issue exemption, you need a Brake and Lamp certification. Immediately contact DMV to get the necessary forms and get a Temporary operating permit. If you are standing in line on the 1st business day of the year you will probably not get a certificate, you need someone in the DMV on the phone to Sacramento to give you the best chance.
I thought the UK SVA was bad enough, but this is bureaucracy gone mad!
Old 19th November 2006, 02:24 PM   #6 (permalink)
Ron Earp
Administrator
United States

GT40: None.

Paul, as far as I'm aware from reading the Cobra boards for a long time, and hearing about people here, it really makes no difference if the car is a roller or a box of parts. To the DMV it isn't a "production" car and in about all states follow the speciality construction car rules, i.e., kit car registration.

The reason Superformance, CAV, and others import the cars into the US and installs the drivetrain here is that by doing so they avoid all the red tape with importing an automobile. A rolling chassis doesn't fall under those restrictions that an automobile would.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 19th November 2006, 04:04 PM   #7 (permalink)
car guy
A Tenth
United States

GT40: Bailey Edwards

Paul,
Saw your post and thought I should contact you. I too live in San Diego (Carmel Valley), also have a FFR Cobra and just registered my GT40...so I could give you some hints to guide you through the process. I'd love to talk cars with you. Please give me a call. Thanks.
Larry Lessie
858-481-1586
858-705-1912, cell

LinkBacks (?)
LinkBack to this Thread: http://www.gt40s.com/forum/superformance-gt40s/19884-registration-s.html
Posted By For Type Date
GT40s.com This thread Refback 19th November 2006 10:57 AM