Price increase

My local Superformance dealer said yesterday that there is going to be a $10,000 (yes, that's $10,000) price increase in the SPF GT roller for 2007, as of January.

Fran Hall RCR

GT40s Sponsor
Steve K...
...RF dropped the price 10k and then went bankrupt.....check back on the forum as there were some upset RF customers....

It could be a lot of things. I don't think the dollar has devalued against foreign currencies nearly that much since the time that they priced them at $70,000. I suspect that either their production costs are greater than they anticipated and that they are passing the additional cost to the purchaser, or they are starting to charge "whatever the market will bear."

They just charge more as they probably have a pretty long queue.
+ they probably set a low(ish) price to begin with as it was a new product.
t.

Ron Earp

Admin
Johan said:
Or the value of the transmission...

Except the transmission price isn't included in there. $10k increase is just for the roller, so the roller rises to basically $70 in base form. The transaxle price is rising on its own too though due to demand.

R

Remember when everybody was holding their breath because it was supposed to cost less than $50,000? No doubt SPF has an awesome product, but their use of a shill to dribble out misinformation about unrealistically low pricing years ahead of an actual product launch was, I believe, unethical.

Mark Worthington said:
Remember when everybody was holding their breath because it was supposed to cost less than $50,000? No doubt SPF has an awesome product, but their use of a shill to dribble out misinformation about unrealistically low pricing years ahead of an actual product launch was, I believe, unethical.

Maybe I am wrong here; but I do not recall anything from SPF or HiTech stating a price. In fact I do not recall seeing any postings from them at all. I recall a lot of conjecture from forum members saying they talked to "such and such" and the price was under 50K; nothing official. Therefore I really do not think they were unethical. To the other point of information, again I do not recall HiTech or SPF stating much at all; other people with no connection to the company, just passerbys, brought up info. I think that SPF and HiTech did the right thing of keep their mouth shut until a product was out, far better than what normally occurs on the forum of a company releasing information well before the product was released.

Ian Clark

Supporter
Hi Kevin,

As a manufacturers rep I'm as sensitive to pricing and competitve products as any customer. Also I believe all manufacturers endevour to produce the best product they can. The costs are what they are and if a decent profit can't be made the product goes away.

You are correct in saying that Hi-Tech or Superformance did not directly state anything about price. However many folks took the eloquence with which Andre wrote many interesting things here as reliable in nature. So you can see where Mark is coming from. http://www.gt40s.com/forum/all-gt40/14493-cav-hi-tech-automotive-superformance-auto-futura.html

Fortunately, the demand for GT40 replicas continues to show strength and manufacturers will offer different price points and levels of product to hopefully satisfy the demand.

Anyways, that's my 2c worth on the topic. As always, take care and have a great day.

Cheers

I guess I am glad I bought in early.

If I hadn't been a puss and gone SPF (still building my plane and didn't need another project), I think I would have gone RCR and built it.

Mike

Ron Earp

Admin
Canuk40 said:
You are correct in saying that Hi-Tech or Superformance did not directly state anything about price. However many folks took the eloquence with which Andre wrote many interesting things here as reliable in nature. So you can see where Mark is coming from. http://www.gt40s.com/forum/all-gt40/14493-cav-hi-tech-automotive-superformance-auto-futura.html
That is a long thread, no doubt! The part about the pricing I'm not passing judgement on, just clairifying for those reading, is here. Certainly an optimistic price, but that was way before production began so an estimate.

Andre40 said:
With regard to the $50,000 price tag for the coming Hi-Tech Automotive/Superformance GT40 MK11 with monocoque I certainly didn't intend stirring up a hornet's nest with the announcement in January this year and apologise if I upset some people. The reason was that several people had either e-mailed or phoned me to ask for the anticipated price. Also costs and prices of cars and components have often been mentioned on this website. I then phoned Jimmy to ask him and he gave me permission to post the Coupe and GT40 expected prices. He recently reminded me that I should have said in 'the low 50,000s' and not spot on $50,000.

Canuk40 said:
Hi Kevin,

Cheers

Understand, and you are right. Maybe I am more insensitive to this than others since I have heard time and time again a price on forums that tends to be orders of magnitude off. I know where Mark was coming from just thought unethical was too strong of a word. I put zero faith in anything on a forum when it comes to price, I have been dissappointed way too often (not on this forum but others).

For those who want a RCR but don't want to build it I believe there is an option of having a builder do it for and it would still be more than $10K ($20K with next year pricing) less than the SPF turnkey minus pricing. I'm sure Fran can elaborate if he has some builders ready to work or not. I don't see why I would get the SPF when a car that I feel is just as good can be built for less. To each his own but thats how I feel.

Theon

Back