Wheels choice?

Hi guys,

I have noticed that while Superformance is offering the Mk II with Halibrand-style wheels, they seem to offer the Mk 1 only with the later BRM wheels. Those wheels didn't come into play until the 1968 season, and even then seemingly only on cars that were relatively new at the time (i.e. older cars continued to run with older wheels).

Has anybody here investigated the possibility of getting a Mk 1 car in 1965 or 1966 trim, i.e. equipped with Halibrand-style wheels? I would presume that Superformance would be rather flexible in that regard, and also that some (many?) owners might prefer the Halibrand wheels, thus it surprises me that so far I haven't seen any indication of any Superformance Mk 1 cars so-equipped....

I have polished Halibrands on my BEC GT40 Mk1 and like them...here's a picture.
GT40-10-04-06-176.gif

Hi Mike. You can get your MK1 with BRM or Halibrand style wheels, the choice is yours. The BRM style was earlier than the halibrands and is more correct for the MK1. Merry Xmas.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Lance,
I think they are referring to the early MK I "FIA" Halibrands rather than the MK II style of Halibrand. The BRMs were not used until the Gulf cars. The Shelby MK I cars used the FIA Halibrands similar to the FIA Cobra wheels. These were the first alloys used after Shelby abandoned the Borrani wires.

Best,
Rick

Mark IV said:
The Shelby MK I cars used the FIA Halibrands similar to the FIA Cobra wheels. These were the first alloys used after Shelby abandoned the Borrani wires.

Exactly.

Used to be that Cobra Restorers carried "Cobra" Halibrands and also "GT40" Halibrands in their catalog; that isn't the case anymore. I wasn't paying much attention back then, but I recall not really being able to tell the difference (the photographs were quite small).

So, when you say the GT40 wheels were 'similar to' the Cobra wheels, how similar is similar? Do you mean identical? If not, do you know a source for 'proper' GT40 Mk 1 wheels?

Thanks!

Hi Mike, about time that you considered a real car! Bob Lacy at Vintage Wheels(888-720-0459) makes Halibrands and I am sure that Superformance will give you either style.
Is your Pantera drivable yet? And will it be seen in Vegas this year?
Dave

Back