What's With That Funky Shifter?

Hey folks! New to the Board and preparing for the delivery of my Mk I in June from Olthoff & Co. One of several issues I've discussed with Dennis Olthoff is the look of the shifter in both the SPF Mk I & II.

Am I alone, or are there others that also feel that it looks like something out of a Toyota only taller? And what's with the shift boot? A look at the interiors of original cars show a nice, what appears to be chrome, shifter with a wooden shift knob. Of course, there isn't a cloth or leather boot cover, and the base of the shifter has a nice rectangular trim ring.

I'm told that given the way the linkage works in the SPF, it's not possible to replicate the look of the original. That it happens to be installed in the center console is probably another problem. Dennis has promised to look into a fix. Not being knowledgeable about these things, I was wondering if anyone may have sorted this out and found a better looking alternative to what currently exists? Any leads on a correct-looking wood shift knob? Thanks!

Kim, As I cannot seem to post pictures here any more, please E mail me for pictures of my original design rod shifter install in SPF ( rhd ) Frank

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Frank,

There is nothing to keep you from posting pictures on the forum. You have the same rights and privledges as any other user. 640x480 is the maximum size, you might need to down-size your pictures to that resolution. I set my camera at that resolution to avoid that step.

Best,
Ron

Ron, I keep trying as this is the best way to show what we are doing and the latest ideas and developments, I used to be able to do it, just attach file, but now its too bloody complicated, cant you go back to the original settings for this function ? Frank

Ron Earp

Admin
Hi Frank,

The original settings were far more complicated than now.

All you need to do now is hit "Post Reply", type what you like, and before doing anything else click on the paper clip icon to attach files. A window will pop up and you simply upload them.

Paul has written a good tutorial here:

Posting Photos

But all you need to pay attention to is the last step of his post if the pictures are already sized. This is no different than the "old way".

Sorry for the hijack.

Kim,

SPF posted some info on the sill shifter that they have available some weeks ago. Comes with right hand drive cars of course, but, if you are worried about originality then you ought to have one of those anyhow! :) Naturally, I'm asserting my bias for right hand drive right hand shift GT40s here, so don't be offended please!

Best,
Ron

Ron:

"Bias? We don't need no stinkin' bias." Well, actually, I'm sympathetic to your views on RHD GT40s. I suppose that in my pursuit of originality, compromise has become an essential, if unfortunate, element in my design parameters.

Kim

Back