1966 Replica/Kit Makes : Superformance GT40

that car is done the way I would love to build one, the proper motor and a great color. I am guessing the reserve is 130 or so and that may very well be low, but probably where the market is

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
Quote [I am guessing the reserve is 130 or so and that may very well be low, but probably where the market is]

Chuck, The Ebay auction is showing no reserve, but I bet it gets pulled prior to ending if bidding isn't high enough.

#224 if correct says that SPF is selling some of these (or at least building some). I have S/N 20 that was delivered less than one year ago.

Mike

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Mike,

This car is P2124 (the 24'th SPF GT40; 1'st FE install) and sister to my P2125 (2'nd and only other SPF FE install that I am aware of).....I know the original owner...Both his and my car were built up at Olthoff's in Q3/Q4 07....2124 is equipped with a side oiler, mine with a new Shelby block both built by Keith Craft...Both engines making over 550 HP/550 TQ and are RBT M1 ZF equipped...Jerry's car has had much spirited driving and even some track time without any problems (there is a U Tube clip of the car if you search under "Superformance GT40 auction"....My car has very few miles yet as I'm in the North East.....Pics of mine in the Superformance Forum area under thread "P2125 home"ect.

Steve

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
IMO, the price on this car took a hit because of the transaxle. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future when an SPF with a new ZFQ transaxle comes on the market.

Ron Earp

Admin
The recent MKII that sold at BJ, home of the over inflated prices, went for $105k. Might be a sign of things to come in the market.

IMO, the price on this car took a hit because of the transaxle. It will be interesting to see what happens in the future when an SPF with a new ZFQ transaxle comes on the market.

Why do you say that? ZFs still command a premium, especially for those who are looking
for as close to authenticity as possible. If anything, the price is indicative of a slipping
economy and a relative "glut" of options as far as replica GT40s go. With Superformance
in the game (who knows how many the build per month, but it sure seems like a lot),
CAV still going strong, Tornado pushing back into the US with a vengeance, RCR receiving
and fulfilling more and more orders, and ERA still chugging along with a long waiting list,
it only makes sense that prices are starting to drop. I don't think the ZF has anything to do
with it.

Ian

Ian

I agree. The RBT is a fine tranny and the correct T-44 would have been another $ 30-40K.
I suspect prices will be " soft " for high end replicas for a while...but even so, someone
got a very good deal. A similar turnkey from ERA would have been LOTS more than $ 90k.
A lovely car.

MikeD

Ron Earp

Admin
A similar turnkey from ERA would have been LOTS more than $ 90k.
A lovely car.

MikeD

Cost more or sold for more?

I can see where it would have cost more, but ERA sale prices have been no stronger. It was only a couple of years ago that a quite nice ERA, driving, went for $72k. Wish I'd had the money to buy it. Another sold local to me in the 3Q of 2007 with period correct everything for $86k.

It is interesting what some of the cars go for. One learned gentleman I spoke with last year pointed out that with the relative ease of acquiring a GT40 nowadays, simply writing a check, that it would lead to more used cars for sale and lower prices. The reason? People that have newly fallen in love with the GT40 once they saw the new Ford GT, or recently learned about the GT40, aren't ready to live with the day to day compromises. They would see the car, love it, buy it, and in a few months move on to another toy.

That type of behavior really wasn't possible up until the last few years due to the lack of a mature turnkey GT40 market. However, it is definitely possible now and I would reckon we'll see more used turnkey GT40s out for sale from time to time. Good for buyers I'd think.

Again, all speculation on my part but I seem to detect a bit of a trend in that direction.

R

Steve Briscoe

Lifetime Supporter
Why do you say that?

Ian

For all the reasons found in this forum's threads related to issues associated with the ZF. Also, due to personal experience with the ZF in my Pantera. There are very similar evaluations in other forums. No data to back it, but there seems to be a broad based opinion that a stronger and more reliable transaxle is needed to replace what's currently available. If potential buyers think the same, they will price repair or replacement into the purchase price. Components and reliability are important in any market and a questionable component will cause an easing market to drop like a rock.

Just my opinion-
Steve

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Response to Steve Brisco.

Steve,

See my post in Superfformance Forum today with link to Olthoff Dyno of a 550HP and TQ Roush through a ZF M1...No problem..Further Dennis has been tracking his car as well as the factory mule has lots of track time...Also P2124 with an FE like mine has seen many burnouts (not my idea of what to do but one hell of a test) as well as a fair ammount of track time without problems. Too Superformance owner Lance in Calif is not known to be easy on his car and no problems.
So although I agree that the new ZFQ is a more robust design I don't yet know of any qualified ZF M1 failures reported.

Steve P2125 with FE and M1

I agree with Steve C. Although admittedly being biased having chosen to go for a ZF myself, both Ron Mcall and Dean Lampe are putting well over 600 hp through their tannys and racing them without issue.

Back