SPF questions

the MK11 came in yesterday, any tricks to opening the front clamshell? Also, what are the size of the meatballs used on the sides and front /rear of the MK11's? Nice car bty , very quick,shifter is a little balky(cable operated), definitly smaller than my CAV inside. thanks

Congratulations on your new SPF. Wish mine had a trans. As to the front clamshell it takes some patience. Basically you tilt the back up just enough to clear the gas caps as you slide everything forward. Don't forget to disconnect the two wiring connectors by the radiator. You may hang up on the radiator itself sliding forward. On mine one of the pivot supports was loose and had rotated which threw off the alignment. You may need to adjust the pivots for smoother removal.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Chuck,

The clamshell doesn't open (like the originals it is removed; up little in back and foreward).

First disconnect the connectors for lights and fans...then release Hartwell clips....lift the clip from rear as you slide it foreward watching to make sure there is clearance for the fuel caps and the lower wiper arm (may need to remove wiper blade or at a minimum some tape over it so it doesn't scratch the clip)....There are rt and l bosses on the front frame that receive metal slotted brackets bolted to the clip for locating and securing (these are adjustable for proper clip fitting)

Clear?

Steve P2125

mk11002.jpg

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
The door roundels are 22" in diameter. The front and rear are 20".

racelinedigital.com

Makes great graphics. Attached is a picture of their graphics on my door.

Attachments

• DSCF3581.jpg
    DSCF3581.jpg
    54.9 KB · Views: 528
Thanks guys. Are those roundels static cling or adhesive? Also I notice how the lower stripes have ben contoured so the roundels fit, are those stripes vinyl or were they painted? thanks. chuck

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
The graphics on mine are adhesive backed. You can ask Chris at Raceline what he has available. He actually has complete strips and roundel kits for several of the MarkII that ran at LeMans '66.

The strips on mine are painted on. The "FORD" graphic is from Chris.

Chris is a long time member here and I would expect that he will comment on this thread.

Here is his email addrss:

[email protected]

The strips are not contoured to the roundel. The black outline on the roundel gives that illusion. The painted lines are below the roundel.

Last edited:
Chuck,

Congratulations!

The yellow really looks fantastic.Thanks for posting pictures.How about a CAV / SPF comparison as far as ride, handling,drivability,etc once you get settled down a bit.

Car looks great and looks like the two make U of M colors. Where did it come from??
Still don't have mine but soon.

I will definitly do a comparison of the two later. I got the car from the SPF dealer in Georgia, I did not need another project so I was looking for a finished car and this one fit the bill.

Gordo

Lifetime Supporter
Congratulations Chuck! Good luck with it. I would love to check it out. Maybe on a trip to the mountains this spring?

Gordo.

Hey Chuck ,
There are several types of adhesive backed graphics like "permanent" or "removable". You want the kind that are easy to get off but don't blow off like the static clingons.
I have driven your car when it was at the dealer and it is a beauty. It had a little stumble at 9400 rpm but that could have been the rev limiter wire wrapping up in the distributor cap. Don't worry, I washed it out so the the motor would stop leaking smoke.:)

I specifically asked if the car had been driven by anyone with a Lola fetish, and was told no. I supose there is no reason to baby it now.

Back