Mk I: Mirrors & fitting the driver

Thomas Hertzler

Lifetime Supporter
I was supposed to take delivery of my Mk I (#2228) on Thursday but it looks like the Roush 427IR is leaking oil. So I decided to go to the dealer and take a look for myself.

I won't go into the oil leak issue because that will be handled under warranty, but there were two other issues that left me puzzled and worried about the competence of my dealer.

I noticed that, although the car was supposedly ready for inspection by the DMV for road registration, it had no rear view mirrors. I am no expert in these things but I am pretty sure that you need rear-view mirrors if you want to drive a vehicle on the road. What have other SPF Mk I owner installed in their cars?

Then I decided to sit in the car for the first time (it had always been on a roller and the lift before) and found out that my shins were chafing the bottom edge of the dashboard. I was told that @ 5'11" I would not have a problem fitting into the car at all. I sat in a ERA and rode along in a SPF Mk II and had no space issues, so I had no reason to doubt the dealer's statement.

What options does the dealer have to fit me into the car (they test drove it without the seat cushions). Can the pedal box be moved? The cushions are very thin already and I don't want them to touch the sheet metal.

Also, I have seen SPFs with carpeted side sills - is that an option from the factory?

I apologize for all these questions that should have been answered by the dealer, but I am beginning to have a trust issue :)

Last edited:
Yes, the pedal box is adjustable. Your dealer should fit the box for you personally.

The sill mats come with the car. You dealer has them somewhere.

Many types of mirrors are bing fitted. While not period correct, I like these on my Mark II.

Mike

Attachments

• Mirrors.JPG
    Mirrors.JPG
    23.4 KB · Views: 510
SPF has a thin seat and here are my mirrors; though on my CAV. The interior mirror does work and these outside ones are also OK.
I believe you can see all three in this shot. The pedals should have adjustability if a new car.
Mort

tn

Thomas, you can buy some cheep mirrors that sit just inside the window in the corner from Autozone and decide later on permanent ones, they work pretty well actually and a friend here in town uses them exclusively. Your car can be adjusted to fit you better, I am 5-8 and had to have mine adjusted for just the opposite reason as you.

Thomas Hertzler

Lifetime Supporter
Guys,

Thanks for the speedy replies. I think I will try the inside mirrors. Will advise the dealer that he has to produce the sill mats. Hopefully we can get me fit without removing parts of my body :)

Not sure about other dealers, but I had to pay for the sill carpets as an option. As an aside where is RBT with trans deliveries now? I placed my order last July. No responses to phone calls or faxes.

Yes, the carpets are an extra. As to mirrors, I installed the Vitaloni "Sebring" style on my MKI as I thought it was the best looking of the period correct mirrors. They work well - no blind spot at all. The Vitaloni's came in black ABS plastic, which I had intended to paint to match the body color. After installing them though, I may just leave them black. It's a low-key look that goes well with the Titanium/black look of the car. Here's a pic. I'd welcome opinons.

Last edited:
The Vitaloni's came in black ABS plastic, which I had intended to paint to match the body color. After installing them though, I may just leave them black. It's a low-key look that goes well with the Titanium/black look of the car. Here's a pic. I'd welcome opinons.

Most period photos that I've seen show these mirrors mounted not where you have them, but rather right on the highest point on the wings, immediately above the front wheels. Here's some photos from the NVSAAC online gallery:

69lm68z%20Kelleners-Joest%20Ford%20GT40.jpg

69par06z%20Spice-Juncadella%20Ford%20GT40.JPG

69jarama42z%20Juncadella%20Ford%20GT40.JPG

69lm09z%20Gardner-Guthrie%20Ford%20GT40.jpg

Note that they were all chrome-colored....

For your car, in their current location, I would probably vote for body-colored though.

Most period photos that I've seen show these mirrors mounted not where you have them, but rather right on the highest point on the wings, immediately above the front wheels. Here's some photos from the NVSAAC online gallery:

One of the reasons the race cars had the mirrors placed farther out on the fenders was to get them out of the way during re-fueling. Road cars more often had them closer (see the famous "Would you let your daughter marry a Ford owner" posters) because the closer they are to your eye the wider the field of vision. Ultimately I also felt they would look too prominent way out there over the wheels. But...that's just me.

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
I vote for the black color mirror on your titanium car. But, I really like the glass topped table in the background with the aluminum block as the base.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Here are a couple picture of what I did, Mike and I seen these in Monterey last year on car 1083. I bought the same mirrors and after looking at the picture of 1083 again seen they had to cut the mirror to make it function, I just cut some 1 inch acrylic and milled it at an angle till you could have good vision on both sides. I will paint mirrors and mounts to match the car. The carbon fiber bracket will remain the same. Everyone has different taste that is what is great about owning one of these cars.

Attachments

• IMG_9178.jpg
    IMG_9178.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 636
  • IMG_9180.jpg
    IMG_9180.jpg
    24.6 KB · Views: 516
I vote for the black color mirror on your titanium car. But, I really like the glass topped table in the background with the aluminum block as the base.

Thanks Mike. The table is an old Lamborghini V12 block that I intend to bead blast and buff up. The glass top just sits on the head studs. I also have to build the doors for the utility closet, then the barn will be about done.

Thomas Hertzler

Lifetime Supporter
As to mirrors, I installed the Vitaloni "Sebring" style on my MKI as I thought it was the best looking of the period correct mirrors. They work well - no blind spot at all. The Vitaloni's came in black ABS plastic, which I had intended to paint to match the body color. After installing them though, I may just leave them black. It's a low-key look that goes well with the Titanium/black look of the car. Here's a pic. I'd welcome opinons.

Daryl,

I noticed today that if we install the mirror on the passenger side parallel with the centerline of the car, I can't see much of the road behind me. I did get a good look of the dachshund on the sidewalk though :) Did you tilt the mirror inwards or did you mount it straight?

The driver side mirror works perfect. Great suggestion!

Here is an recent picture of the car - no mirrors yet.
Stickers-on-car.jpg

These common mirrors work better when raised up a bit.

Attachments

• Picture 327.jpg
    Picture 327.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 820
  • Picture 325.jpg
    Picture 325.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 1,002
Back