'Car & Driver' Magazine Test of P/2192

Some of you may have heard that Dennis Olthoff delivered my Superformance Mk. I to Car & Driver magazine for a road test. Olthoff Racing did a superb job preparing the car – fantastic attention to detail, in keeping with their reputation.

[For background, they installed my Keith Craft all-aluminum 427w with a TWM 'nostalgia' injection system, along with the new Quaife ZFQ transmission. Olthoff's dyno numbers showed 510 hp at the rear wheels. The car has the standard width BRM wheels and AVON 295/215 tires rear/front.]

We just received the following results from Dennis, who is en route back:

CAR & DRIVER TEST RESULTS (UNOFFICIAL)
  • 0-60 mph: 3.8 seconds
  • 1/4 mile: 11.8 seconds
  • Skid Pad: 1g+ (I haven't heard the final result)
Unfortunately, given that the test was performed at the Chrysler Testing Grounds, they don't allow pictures, so we'll have to wait until the article comes out. However, they say it might be a four-page spread – which would be pretty cool!

When Dennis returns I should have more to report, so stay tuned.

Kim

Last edited:
Kim,

Great news. I was wondering when a major magazine would get around to testing an SPF. Seems long overdue ... I'm looking forward to the article and congratulations to you . You must be really pumped!!

Congratulations! I look forward to seeing the article.
If it's a positive article, it benefits all SPF GT40 owners. I would be especially interested in what they have to say about the Quaife transaxle. As time goes by, I am quite happy wih the RBT tranaxle.:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mike

Update on 'Car & Driver' Magazine Test of P/2192

Dennis Olthoff has returned from Michigan and has provided me with an update on the test results:

CAR & DRIVER TEST RESULTS (OFFICIAL)
0-60 mph: 3.8 seconds
1/4 mile: 11.7 seconds at 126 mph
Skid Pad: 1.01g

Interestingly, there was also a Lotus Exige with a supercharged engine being tested at the same time. Here are its performance numbers:

0-60 mph: 4.0 seconds
1/4 mile: 13 seconds
Skid Pad: 0.98g

On the one-mile strait at the Chrysler Testing Grounds, Dennis says that the GT40 easily reached 150 mph, which is the upper limit allowed at that facility. Once at 150, they immediately shut down the run. The Lotus, on the other hand, was only able to reach 142 before it ran out of track.

Hey, for a 40-odd year old design with sub-optimal tires, the SPF did all right! I'll let you know anything else I hear.

Kim

So the Quaife ZF transaxles are in production and available. Could you quote the price that you paid for yours and the importation source?

Enjoy your new GT40. It isn't everybody's car that appears in one of the world's top car magazines. :thumbsup:

So the Quaife ZF transaxles are in production and available. Could you quote the price that you paid for yours and the importation source?

Enjoy your new GT40. It isn't everybody's car that appears in one of the world's top car magazines. :thumbsup:

Alan

Contact Chris Melia or Martin Gough. They are the people behind the ZFQ.
I know the sold a lot of boxes to Olthoff Racing ,but i suppose they are all spoken for. So best is to contact them directly via the forum

TOM

Alan:

Still waiting to get the final price on the Quaife (I haven't picked up the car yet). I should know in a couple of days and will follow-up with you.

Kim

Kim, I've driven the 430 and been lucky enough to have a friend let me drive a 427 Roush powered SPF. The SPF is a heck of a lot more fun, and definitely a half-notch faster in a straight line provided your shifter linkage and transaxle is functioning smoothly. The SPF makes my 302 powered CAV feel slow.

One thing I'll say is that the 430 will break away pretty progressively and give you lots of warning - you probably know this well. And, there will be lots of electronic traction control gizmos helping to manage the situation - these are conspicuously absent in the SPF so best to be on your toes when you're in that 100mph+ decreasing radius bend...

I will second that on the 427 powered SPF. Mine has the brutal acceleration of an FE powered cobra, except predictable and not tail happy.

I have been seriously thinking about buying a Superformance MK 1 GT40. Even with the many delays that many of you have endured during the roller to driver build process the end results speak for themselves. I have read the many positive things being said of Olthoff Racing and his staff, and hope that when the car finally delivered to you that this sentiment will be echoed (and if not why), as he would be my 1st choice to undertake this project . And after all is said and done and you have added up the purchase price and the final bill for the installation/mods and the waiting........would you do it again ?

Last edited:
I have read the many positive things being said of Olthoff Racing and his staff, and hope that when the car finally delivered to you that this sentiment will be echoed (and if not why), as he would be my 1st choice to undertake this project . And after all is said and done and you have added up the purchase price and the final bill for the installation/mods and the waiting........would you do it again ?

I'm actually going to pick up the car later this week! (Of course, I've thought that before ...) The experience with Olthoff has been great so far, and now it's just a matter of settling up and driving my car from North Carolina to Florida – should be a great trip.

There are still some questions about the Quaife transmission, not least of which are the final costs. Information has not always been as timely as I'd like. As soon as I know more I'll let you know.

Kim

Charlie Farley

Supporter
Kim,

On that long drive home, i'll be happy thinking of you looking behind you, in that original rearview mirror ! By the way, what did you use to fix it to the windscreen ?
Have a fun and safe journey.

Regards.

Andy.

There are still some questions about the Quaife transmission, not least of which are the final costs. Information has not always been as timely as I'd like. As soon as I know more I'll let you know.

Kim

That sort of comment creates more questions than answers!

Kim,

On that long drive home, i'll be happy thinking of you looking behind you, in that original rearview mirror ! By the way, what did you use to fix it to the windscreen ?
Have a fun and safe journey.

Regards.

Andy.

Andy:

I still have that perfect and original Lucas 608 rear view mirror you found for me! I decided to wait until I picked up the car to have it installed, and then only by a company that specializes in car windows/mirrors. I don't trust myself to do the job right, and I don't want my long-sought mirror crashing onto the shifter!

Thanks again for providing such great service. I hope the guys on the forum are aware of the plethora of original parts you've managed to scrounge. Anyone looking for authentic GT40 components would do well to contact you.

Kim

Kim,
Is that your GT40 in your avatar? If so, can you tell me the color...looks like Guardsman blue with a white gulf stripe. Reason I ask is that is likely what I will go with whenever I get around to getting mine.

Hi Kim

Hope you received the pictures and video on disc from the two days at the Virginia Raceway, sent them about ten days ago.

Regards Martin.

ps Hope you enjoy your drive to Florida.

Back