A/C compressor problems

Was driving the GT a couple days ago and started to hear a pulley squeek. Farther along in the drive the A/C felt like it wasn't able to keep up. Next day I took alook underneath and found the A/C compressor is leaking the bright green stuff at the front of the housing. It doesn't seem to be leaking at a seal. Inspection of the pulley revealed that the belt is pretty chewed up. The teeth on the belt are pretty bad. It had also leaked down to only a pound of freon. A couple of Q's

1)Does anyone know what brand A/C compressor Superformance uses?
2)What is the length of the belt?
3)Has anyone removed theirs and what is the best way out?
4)Has anyone experienced the same problem?

Car only has roughly 1000 miles.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rich.

Last edited:
Sorry about the bad news Rich. The compressor is a Sandia. Depending on your motor there are a couple of different models/configurations. If you have the serpentine belt (Roush) the # is Gates KO50530. Your symptoms may indicate a seized compressor. I'm just finishining my SPF so no A/C experience yet.

Ron Earp

Admin
Sounds like a failed compressor. If it failed as spectacularly as my squash partner's van did a couple of weeks ago then you'll need to replace the condenser and probably orifice valve too as they'll have bits of metal in them. Just got done doing all that with him, real fun job.

Can you turn the compressor by hand with the belt off? Next step will be to remove it and disassemble it looking for compressor debris. If you find any then you might as well get on with replacing the condenser too and be sure to flush out the AC lines to remove chunks of the compressor from the lines.

With the failure so early in the service life of the compressor my guess is that it was not properly lubricated when installed - ask me how I know. Not all new pumps come filled with the proper level of compressor oil and the installer must do that. A tag that comes on the pump will tell you what type and how much oil must be put into the pump.

Good luck with it.

Ron

Dave,

Do you know where I can get info on the Sandia compressor. I googled it and didn't get much of anything.

Ron,

Thanks for the info. I hope it hasn't contaminated the lines or condensor either.

Anybody else have this problem?

Rich.

Ron Earp

Admin
Dave,

Do you know where I can get info on the Sandia compressor. I googled it and didn't get much of anything.

Rich.

As Chuck says, Sandin.

Instead of looking on Google I'd be calling the dealer that assembled it. Surely it has a warranty that would cover that little use.

Ron,

I absolutely agree however, my confidence with the builder isn't what it should be. I hope Dynamic, my dealer, does take care of the problem.

Again thanks
Rich.

Rich
I would agree with the other members about that compressor being a Sanden. its a very popular and usually reliable unit. The compressor will have numbers on it indicating displacement so make sure to match it with a correct replacement.
Also, check your receiver-drier, I would bet it has chunks in it if the compressor failed, and it is a good idea to replace it since they are relatively cheap, and I have seen them completely clogged which also can cause excessive head pressure and compressor failure.
Just about all of the aftermarket AC suppliers carry the Sanden unit, and they are reasonably priced.
Hope some of this helps
Cheers
Phil

Back