P/2192 Delivered & On The Road w/ Photos!

Well guys, after a one-and-a-half year wait I took delivery of P/2192 on Thursday and, along with my brother, drove it from Olthoff Racing in Charlotte, NC to south Florida – about 1,100 miles. Great trip!

This is the car that Car & Driver tested about three weeks ago and is slated for a four-page article later this year. Dennis Olthoff prepped and delivered the car to the Chrysler Proving Grounds in Michigan. It has a Keith Craft 427W with TWM EFI and nostalgia velocity stacks topped with Max Flow s/s velocity stack filters [Bills-B-Racing: (586) 883.0942]. Dyno tests showed 509 hp at the rear wheels @ 5550 RPM; max torque was 530.2 @ 4550 RPM. The car weighs in at exactly 2,458 lbs.

Some of the modifications that I had done include:
  • Quaife ZFQ transmission
  • Gulf pattern paint w/ Shelby Le Mans Racing colors
  • Factory canard wings
  • AVON tires w/ large racing stenciled name
  • Black powder coated wheels
  • Anodized spinners (red/left; blue/right)
  • Racing Halon fire system
  • Driver's side fire extinguisher
  • Olthoff improved hinged windows
  • Aircraft-style pop-out side window vents
  • Aluminum door 'eyebrows'
  • Gurney Weslake valve covers w/ breather system
  • Racing electrical cut-off switch & remote battery posts
  • Le Mans roundel lights
  • Front small aluminum luggage box
  • Perspex Le Mans bug shield
  • 5-point racing seat belts
  • Aluminum shifter box w/ original wood shift knob
  • Sebring painted side mirrors
  • Lucas 608 rear view mirror (to be installed)
  • Aluminum flywheel
  • McLeod clutch
  • Various data plates from Lynn Miner
  • Historic decals from Chris Martino's RaceLine Digital
  • Permanently mounted V1 radar detector w/ remote controls

In the next few days I'll provide some insights on the purchasing experience, along with some thoughts on what works and where the jury is still out. In the meantime, below are some photos. By the way, I love the car!

Kim

Attachments

• Olthoff Final Prep.jpg
    Olthoff Final Prep.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 569
  • Olthoff Racing Garage.jpg
    Olthoff Racing Garage.jpg
    58.3 KB · Views: 560
  • Rt Frt 1:4 View.jpg
    Rt Frt 1:4 View.jpg
    57 KB · Views: 579
  • Lt Side 2192.jpg
    Lt Side 2192.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 506
  • Driver's Side Interior.jpg
    Driver's Side Interior.jpg
    41 KB · Views: 586
  • Pax Side Interior.jpg
    Pax Side Interior.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 483
  • Lt Ctr Interior.jpg
    Lt Ctr Interior.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 455
  • Rt Side Engine .jpg
    Rt Side Engine .jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 536
  • Frt Cmprt w:out Lid.jpg
    Frt Cmprt w:out Lid.jpg
    25.8 KB · Views: 480
Last edited:
Beautiful looking car and nice colour combination. Works quite well on this car. I'm impressed. Enjoy it.

John

Man that is sweet. All the goodies and the workmanship looks to be top notch. I for one will look forward to reading your comments on the ordering and building process for my own plans to build a car in the near future. Congratulations!
Garry

Kim,

What a Car! I love the old school shifter. One of the reasons I dislike LHD cars is because the center console looks too "kit" like. That set up makes it look great and still have LHD functionality for US roads. :thumbsup: Is your rear shell the standard width?

Dave

Kim,

You and your brother must have gotten the attention of a lot of folks driving that beauty home.

No cops stopped you just to check out the car?

Congratulations, you must be one happy hombre.
Howard

Looks great, Kim. I've been thinking about making up some kind of "gate" assembly for my shifter. Is yours a piece that Dennis made up? I especially like the reverse lock-out flipper!

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Kim,

Car looks GREAT (Dennis came through again).

Steve P2125

ps I really like the gated rod shift Dennis fabbed for me as well

Awesome car Kim! The wait is worth it in the end - isn't it?

What do you plan to use storage for - tools and spare parts? How much will it hold?

Regards,
Mike

Great looking car. I think you nailed it on the paint scheme. Olthoff did a great job preparing it from what I can tell. Congratulations.

What a Car! I love the old school shifter. One of the reasons I dislike LHD cars is because the center console looks too "kit" like. That set up makes it look great and still have LHD functionality for US roads. :thumbsup: Is your rear shell the standard width?

Dave

Dave:

Thanks for the kind remarks. I, too, hated the standard SPF shifter with its cloth boot. It was the first item I told Dennis Olthoff had to be changed. After a lot of thought and trial-and-error, he and his senior technician Paul came up with the shift base. I'm delighted, and with the reverse lock-out and engraved gear numbers (much like the original), coupled with the clean but industrial looking welding, I got the race-look I was after. And, yes, the rear shell is the standard MK I width.

Howard:

We left the Charlotte area around 18.00 and arrived at my brother's place at 03.30, the night before July 4th, so not a lot of police on the road. That said, many of the cars on the road had passengers hanging out of their windows snapping photos – including after midnight! The car definitely catches attention.

Mike:

The small aluminum storage box that had originally been intended to carry a few personal items during any trip (i.e., a tooth brush and underwear), has instead become a tool box. Roughly the size of a long shoe box, it stores a lead hammer for the spinners, a can of fix-a-flat, spare fuses, tape of various kinds, a screw-driver set, etc. Not much stuff, really. At this point it's pretty well filled up. That said, without this box, where else would I put that stuff? My next storage solution is to install some black, elastic cargo nets along the right and left bulkheads in the passenger footwell – which is very deep.

Thanks to all for the kind remarks! As Mike said, having the car in the garage makes one forget all of the waiting and small aggravations. Now I just have to find more time to drive it!

Kim

Back