Side Mirrors?

What are you SPF owners using for side mirrors? I'm looking for something that (actually) works and looks vintage.

Thanks, Randy
SPF Gulf P/2207

I have period correct bullet mirrors on the outside and a cheap convex mirror inside on the window sill to cover the blind spots. They help a lot.

Randy,

I have a pair of Vitaloni metal chromed mirrors. One is a NOS and the other is re chromed and in as new condition. Not cheap but these are the real deal, as were manufactured in around 67/68 and used in many race cars (including GT 40´s) in period.
PM if you are interested

Last edited:
I have the Vitaloni mirrors. As long as you mount them close to the windscreen you can adjust them for zero blindspot. (There is plenty of period documentation to justify this location, including both of the Ford "Would you let your daughter marry a Ford owner" posters.) I left mine in black, as it goes with my color scheme and draws less attention to the mirrors.

Attachments

• gt40bays2.jpg
    gt40bays2.jpg
    37.6 KB · Views: 1,305

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
There are a few various sizes of original Sebring mirrors. The pair in the shot are the largest. (same as Victors)

Attachments

• Sebring XL.jpg
    Sebring XL.jpg
    263.6 KB · Views: 2,898
  • Original Sebring Mirrors.jpg
    Original Sebring Mirrors.jpg
    39.6 KB · Views: 1,777
I see Pegasus Racing Supplies sells them ($79 each). I was thinking of a flat lens for the drivers side and a convex one for the passenger side? Or should I go with flat lenses on both sides? In black of course.

~ Randy

JimmyMac

Lifetime Supporter
Randy,
I suspect the ones which you are looking at have the modern polycarbonate shells and not chrome plated mazac die-castings.

I am afraid I can't advise you on the convex mirror as I don't know anything about US driving laws.

My Lotus Europa has Sebrings with convex passenger side. I put straight mirrors on both sides of my GT40, but don't think it works as well.

For P/2192 I went with twin Vitaloni mirrors. They're made of some sort of high impact plastic and arrive in flat black. I elected to color match them to the Guardsman Blue body color, also with the intent of minimizing attention drawn to them.

If they used them at all, many race teams mounted their mirrors well forward on the fenders so they wouldn't interfere with the gas filler caps during fast pit lane refueling. I mounted mine close to the windshield to 1) decrease any blind spot; and, 2) not interfere with the clean lines of the hood. No problems with refueling, by the way.

I also ordered convex mirrors for both sides and am delighted with the result – definitely the way to go!

Kim

Attachments

• GT40P:2192 Rt Frt (Sebring).jpg
    GT40P:2192 Rt Frt (Sebring).jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 1,324
The Vitaloni Sebring mirrors are available in both flat black (plastic) and chrome finishes. The 'chrome' is actually flash-chromed plastic, but it looks just like the 1960s metal originals.

Particularly if they are mounted in the usual 1960s location, rather far forward on the fenders, convex mirrors on both sides would probably be very desirable.

The plastic Vitaloni/Sebring, the ones that Pegasus sells, have nothing to do with the period metal chromed ones. They look similar, but as they say in Spain, "they are as similar as an egg and a chesnut".

Any 60´s GT 40 period picture you check will show the metal Vitalonis (in the cars that had exterior mirrors, that were not many at that time, and usually in the late 60´s) I am not sure they manufactured the plastic ones at that time. Please correct me if I am wrong.

Attached a period picture

Last edited:
I put 1987 Mazda electric mirrors off of an RX7 on my CAV which I had painted to match the color of the car. Works very well and I think they are the best looking mirrors for a GT-40 bar none. They look like they were made for the car and they looked like they came from the factory IMHO.

JOSEPH

Last edited:
Sorry about the clarity of the picture, but I took a picture of a picture. Oh, if you don't have electric mirrors that you can adjust while sitting in the car it is a real bummer.

JOSEPH

Attachments

• gt-40.jpg
    gt-40.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 2,148
Last edited:
Check out these guys;

Talbot & Co. aardvark international Talbot mirror

They had a booth at Concurso Italiano in '07 selling mirrors to the high end guys. The website lists 'original' (metal??) Vitaloni Sebring mirrors as well as period 'Talbot' mirrors.

The Vitaloni Sebring mirrors are the same as those made in the 1960s (and still being made by Vitaloni), save for the fact that they are now made of plastic instead of metal. I spent quite a lot of time talking with the Talbot folks, and in fact since I was parked very close to their booth, they used my Pantera as a photo model for their Vitaloni California mirrors. :thumbsup:

Here are some more pictures of my mirrors. They cost me $50 including the inside control switch and wiring from the junk yard. $85 for painting and I installed everything myself. They work perfectly.

JOSEPH

PS: Jeff. Your mirrors are very similar to mine. They look very good also.

Found this in the search:

Thought you guys might like to see where I put my control switch for the "87 Mazda mirrors. I originally wanted to place it higher up and to the left, but the panel was to thick so I moved it down and over where it is only about 1/8" thick. I kept it low because I rest my left knee above it. As it turned out the position is very convient to use without having to take your eyes off the road to find it. It is located at about 8 o'clock just outside the steering wheel. What a convience not having to get in and out to make adjustments. Joe

Attachments

• 23122-sample03.jpg
    23122-sample03.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 960
  • 23143-sample02.jpg
    23143-sample02.jpg
    52.3 KB · Views: 1,131
  • 23144-sample01.jpg
    23144-sample01.jpg
    52.6 KB · Views: 921
  • mirror control.jpg
    mirror control.jpg
    30 KB · Views: 876
Last edited:
Joseph and Jeff, you're customs mirrors look great and functional! But I'm looking for something more vintage looking for my P1075 Gulf clone car. And nothing shiny.

I like Kim's set-up, it has that vintage style I'm looking for. (BTW beautiful car) Kim, you say you recommend the convex for both mirrors? That seems like it might be a little tricky to navigate in LA traffic. Does anyone else use the double convex mirror set-up?

~ Randy

Last edited:

Mark Charlton

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
Does anyone else use the double convex mirror set-up?

~ Randy

I have double fender-mounted convex mirrors and I can't say they are great (bad location on my car), but they do allow you to see what's beside you in blind spots, although stuff is rather small and you do need to actually really LOOK (don't ask).

When I repaint my car I plan to switch over to twin door-mounted mirrors like Joseph has. Damn the authenticity, I want effectiveness.

Attachments

• mirrors.jpg
    mirrors.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 1,337
Back