Got Engine in... 3 more weeks until she is running.

Hi All,

Just wanted to post up some pic's of the engine. It just came in today. It dyno'd at 575 hp and 550 tq. just waiting on sound proofing and heat insulation. will have more as soon as she's running.

Dave

GT40 427R Engine 001.jpg

GT40 427R Engine 003.jpg

GT40 427R Engine 004.jpg

GT40 GULF #2.jpg

Looks good, Dave. Pay particular attention to pounding out enough clearance in the access panel in front of the alternator. They left it a little close on mine and the fan blades on the pulley would bite into the panel on hard upshifts. I had to take it apart and "massage" it a bit more.

Looks good, Dave. Pay particular attention to pounding out enough clearance in the access panel in front of the alternator. They left it a little close on mine and the fan blades on the pulley would bite into the panel on hard upshifts. I had to take it apart and "massage" it a bit more.

Thanks for the advise. I will pass that on to the installer.

Dave

Dave, sounds like it's going to be quit a ride. How long did it take to get your engine and who did you buy it from? I'm also looking at a Roush engine and was just wondering how long it takes. Was it a special order? If it was does that take a lot of extra time? Sorry for all the questions but it's time for me to get serious about getting my car running.

Richard,
I'm ordering my engine (402R with Webers) next week from Todd Andrews at Roush and he told me 4 weeks.

Am I assuming correctly they don’t allow there dealers to do any kind of discounts so you would get the same price directly from Roush.

Hey Richard, It took about 4 weeks...I purchased it through my installer and spoke with Todd Andrews as well at the same time. He was very helpful. It was a special order in a way that I wanted a solid roller rather than hydro to be able to get a bit higher up in the RPM + more HP. It really didn't take extra time for that. Good luck with your car.

I too had heard about the Roush system hitting the access panel. From what I understand Roush is also reluctant to sell just the serpitine a/c altenator system seperate. Since I built my own engine, I used this instead. Its similar but, uses the supplied a/c compressor, ford atlenator, doesn't hit the access panel and can be used on all three windsor style small block heights. It doesn't attach to the cylinder head. It attaches in the front using the front cover/water pump bolts and in the rear using the ground lug hole in the block. All the billet aluminum pieces on mine, shown here on a 302 mock-up block, have been black hard coated instead of polished. Presently, its installed on a 9.5 deck heighth windsor in my SPF car.

John

Attachments

• IMG_3112.JPG
    IMG_3112.JPG
    76.5 KB · Views: 299
  • IMG_3623.JPG
    IMG_3623.JPG
    102.8 KB · Views: 324
Last edited:
John, great looking setup did you make that? If not where did you get it and what did it cost? I really like the black look.

Nice pulley set up John. I bought a Roush 427SR and did the installation myself. Pleased with the Roush, but the pulleys did require mods to clear the firewall. I removed the small nose trim cone from the alternator pulley. Welded a bump out addition on the firewall to accommodate that pulley and had to hammer the water pump pulley area out more too. Recovered the firewall with new ultrasuede fabric and relieved the passenger seatback some.

Dave & Richard - Thanks for the compliments.

Dave - Yes, I did make it myself. I also made some sets that were not plated for Dennis Olthoff, 704-647-9924. I'm not sure if he has any left to sell. Last time I talked to him he had 1 or 2 but, that's been awhile. Also not sure how he's selling his, with respect to whats included. I am currently in the process of making some more sets, should be ready within a couple weeks. The price would be dependent on preferences, i.e. plated or not and what you might want included. Feel free to contact me with any other questions, I've included contact information below.

Thanks,
John
[email protected]
410-876-7721 (daytime work)
410-984-0716 (cell)

Hey Daryl,

After speaking to my installer, he said that he puts spacers to accomidate that issue. Thanks for the advise, and please let me know if there is anything else I should know... Thanks again...
Dave

On the Roush setup do you have to buy and different A/C compressor? OK that brings up a question. What do you get with a “stock” Roush motor, ie starter, alternator, A/C compressor? I would like to know before I call them to get a price.

Richard, Roush includes the starter,clutch, alternator, and A/C. It has an MSD distributor, but you have to buy the ignition box. A mechanical fuel pump is included, but most of us replace it with electric ones. The A/C has hose hookups under the compressor. That means you have to either get your SPF hoses shortened or 'wad' them up behind the passenger seat which is what I did. Water hose hookup is a little different than what SPF includes too. Overall the Roush is a fairly straightforward installation though. I don't know if you can get Roush dealers to discount the retail price or not.

Back