Show me your emergency / hand brake calipers

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter
Posting in "Chassis,Brakes,Tires,&Wheels" was for whatever reason not possible!!?? Please move if possible.

Hello folks,

The topic above was quite often discussed on the forum.

Never the less I’m trying to get some more information.

I’m not impressed with the hand brake solution in my SPF 40 (drum brake) and had already some problems with it.

My plan is to convert to a mechanical brake caliper. Criteria for the conversion are:

- Directions of caliper actuation
- Overall design and functionality
- Price
- Availability
- Applicable disc size (thickness)
- Mounting of caliper

In the posts below I will display information, which I retrieved so far about the various calipers I found.

Please comment my posts or add additional calipers.

Currently I tend to the Brembo’s but I do not have a “good” source….

The overall result of this thread could be a complete overview of mechanical calipers.

Thank in advance for all the participation.

Regards,

Markus

P.S. I hope nobody is mad with me for posting pictures from other builds / threads / posts. Thanks for displaying this information.

Markus

SPRF40
Lifetime Supporter

Attachments

• Brembo.jpg
    Brembo.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 5,257

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Keep in mind that a mechanical parking brake on a disc caliper requires a LOT of force to actuate. The SPF system may not be capable of the leverage needed to work. The drum system SPF uses seems simple enough and I have not heard of any issues with it.

Also consider that you will need to fabricate a bracket to hold the park brake cable and the orientation must be correct to activate the e-brake. Some of the calipers you show will work but are they the correct piston size for brake balance and will the "pull" of the parking brake line up with the cables on your SPF?

Jim Pearson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Markus,

I have the Brembo units on my car - bought from Gardner Douglas (www.gdcars.com) as their part number T70BHC (AP part number CP4186).

Cost for a pair was approx £230 back in 2006.

My contact was Andy Burrows.

Let me know if you need any photos or measurements.

Regards,

Jim

Jim Pearson

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Markus,

Here are a few shots of the Brembo handbrake calipers as per your PM. Hope they're of assistance.

If you need any more detail then just let me know.

Regards,

Jim

Attachments

• 001 (Medium).jpg
    001 (Medium).jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 12,632
  • 002 (Medium).jpg
    002 (Medium).jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 2,264
  • 003 (Medium).jpg
    003 (Medium).jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 2,012
  • 004 (Medium).jpg
    004 (Medium).jpg
    25.2 KB · Views: 2,062

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
The simplest solution is a "PARK LOCK" used on cars to lock the front wheels for burn outs or just a parking brake. I use one on my Ferrari after going with Brembos. $12 from JC Whitney if I can remember. You can put in line with the front or rear brakes, step on the brake, press the button and hold, release the brake and the pressure stays on till you press on them again and the knob releases.

Attachments

• parklock.jpg
    parklock.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 1,476
Jack,
The problem is that certainly here in the UK (and I suspect Germany as well) that is not considered legal, as it works on the hydraulics. The parking brake has to be able to operate through mechanical means that are independent of the normal foot brake.

Brett

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Jack,
The problem is that certainly here in the UK (and I suspect Germany as well) that is not considered legal, as it works on the hydraulics. The parking brake has to be able to operate through mechanical means that are independent of the normal foot brake.

Brett
I guess it was too easy to be true. :)

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Jack,

I use something similar to this on my Pantera. Have had it for years... and need to change it.

Problem #1 is that if the inspection boys are thorough, they frown on this as it is not legal.

Problem #2 is that it works fine for awhile. Personal experience... Did a session at Pocono, came in, backed into the parking place in the pit lane, hit the brakes, turned the valve and went away for a drink. Came back a half hour later with everyone telling me that my car started rolling away and they had to push it back and put it in gear.
What happened? Hot brake fluid cools off and 'releases' the brakes.

So, at the most, a temporary brake, not to be used for long term parking.

I am interested in why the drum brake setup on the SPF's is a problem though... mine has worked well so far and holds very well. I know Mike removed his for weight savings...

Kirby

The simplest solution is a "PARK LOCK" used on cars to lock the front wheels for burn outs or just a parking brake. I use one on my Ferrari after going with Brembos. $12 from JC Whitney if I can remember. You can put in line with the front or rear brakes, step on the brake, press the button and hold, release the brake and the pressure stays on till you press on them again and the knob releases.

I had the same "hot brake fluid" problem years ago with a "Line Lock" and my car rolled down the driveway and into a shallow ditch across the street. Luckily, only a tail light lens was broken.

I have first-hand experience with the IPS caliper. It's currently being marketed by two different Pantera vendors, and the bolt-on kit works reasonably well, with the caveat that it has a limited range of motion, so the setup is critical--the brake pads have to just barely touch the rotor when it's released. If they are even slightly off the disc, there won't be sufficient travel to ensure proper holding/stopping power when engaged. And on the other hand, if the clearance isn't adequate, they will drag.

I installed a setup on a car in London, and had to get after the brake pads with an angle grinder to get the appropriate clearance. Once that was done, it worked great.

Having said all that, I'd question why you aren't looking more closely at the stock SPF setup. As others have mentioned above, when properly adjusted it seems to work just fine? I'd suggest you concentrate your efforts in that direction if at all possible.

Back