SPF '40 Wins at Watkins Glen

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I know the Petersens from Pathfinder will post here when they get to a computer, but as my ride home was only 2.5 hours I will relay the news that the new Superformance GT40"R" driven by Dennis Olthoff won it's class in both races today at the Watkins Glen vintage races.

Well driven by Dennis, the car overcame some oil return issues (nothing like having the overflow dump on your rear tires, makes for GREAT traction!!!) and finished amoungst the Lola T70s and Mclaren MK IIs, who by the way weigh 600-800 pounds LESS the the steel tubbed GT40.

All in all a very good weekend. We at Time Machines had great interest in the GT40 we displayed, several owners were in attendance such as John Schriver who has a MK I and makes a really nice system for mounting your A/CF compressor/alternator.

Looking forward to next year already.....................

Hi Rick

This is really good news for everyone concerned Great job Dennis, fantastic car Pathfinder, and another victory for the Superformance GT40R with superfinished ZFQ transaxle. This makes it all worth while guys.

regards

Chris.

Rick,

Good for SPF. I was wondering whose car that was. I did see it smoking on the back stretch where I was standing a bit. I saw you at the reception for Lyn St. James at the library, but by the time I worked my way over to your area, you were gone! I'll see you next year...

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Rick,

Good for SPF. I was wondering whose car that was. I did see it smoking on the back stretch where I was standing a bit. I saw you at the reception for Lyn St. James at the library, but by the time I worked my way over to your area, you were gone! I'll see you next year...

Nah,

We didn't leave till late, there was still food and wine!!!!

I was VERY impressed with the library, I will take a drive there one day to just read the books I always wanted. Ross Henry and I were talking about a chassis design book we both had as younger dudes, Costin and Phillips' "Modern Sports and Racing Car Chassis Design".....we both lent our copies out never to get them back, but there on the shelf was a copy!!!!

And better yet, we met up with Oscar Kovaleski and were inducted into the "PRDA"!!!!!!

It don't get no better................

Rick,

Dang Eric, did I see you there and not realize it was you ?

I got down to a 2:06.221 and had to work to get there. Those esses scare the crap out of me...especially in the drizzle.
Dennis did a great job driving a great car. Most important of all though is that it was fun.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ron Earp

Admin
You know what they say...if you ain't scairt you ain't going fast enough!

Saw you there in the Group 5 results, you were one of the fastest. Are there different classes in the Group 5 results as you placed pretty high. I want to race that track sometime as it is quite fun in iRacing and looks great on TV.

Ron

Dang Eric, did I see you there and not realize it was you ?

Johan,

I thought I would bump into you at some point, but we didn't connect. My friend Mike Harmuth blew his differential in his Triumph at Lime Rock, so I was just a spectator. Were you at the Seneca Lodge at all? The folks at Vintage Motorsport were there and were expecting to see you. (Those people know how to party :drunk:)

You looked good / sounded good out there on the track. I like that big grandstand on outside of the track just before the entry to the esses. I was surprised at the climb you guys go through there- it's pretty steep! You don't see that on TV...

Phil Harris who owns "True Choice" (they sell shocks and such) won the group 5 race overall in a screaming Cosworth powered Lola T290. Then there was Farrell Preston in his bad to the bone McLaren M6 (same red Mclaren that won at Road America). Then Bill Thummell in the ex-Penske T70 Spyder. Then John Monson (British chap) in a silver Mclaren M6. Then me in the Surtees Lola T70 Spyder. Then Jim Simpson in his McLaren M8c(Cosworth v8). We were all ASR or A Sports Racers.
Dennis won his class which was 5p or Prototype and if he had a bit more motor he would have been in the thick of it. He was very fast in the corners. Really a job well done.

Eric, I stayed at Seneca so I would imagine we were leaning on the same bar more than once.

Back