Notes re SPF Service Bulletin 0702GTB HVAC Blower Fan Relay Retrofit
I just finished implementing this bulletin which amounts to the installation of an assembly of two relays and fuses. The supplied instructions were not correct for my car (P2160) in several respects, as follows:
1. Although the third relay is indeed missing, my car did NOT have the 0601GTB run-on prevention diode.
2. The new Relay/Fuse assembly is not built onto a plate but rather uses the relay tabs as mounting points. Therefore the hole spacing is determined by the relay spacing, not the supplied template, and the relays and fuses face to the rear of the car rather than to the front. I located the assembly so the relays are directly forward of the blower switch. Thus, the assembly and the fuses are accessible by removing the switch panel rather than from the front underneath the dash.
3. Drilled 3/16” (5 mm) hole, not 7/64”, which is too small by a factor of two. They probably meant 7/32”, which is 5.5 mm.
4. What they describe and show as a double-red wire is actually two separate wires each with its own lug. Installed these using 3/8” hex driver.
5. There are two black/red wires on the blower switch. As can be seen from close examination of the bulletin figures 11 through 13, the one to be removed is on the “H” terminal of the switch. The other one goes to the “C” terminal and should be left alone.
6. Rather than drill a separate hole in the chassis and use a self-tapping screw for grounding the brown wire, I installed the brown wired onto a 6mm bolt nearby already being used to ground two other brown wires.
Last edited by awatkins; 3rd April 2010 at 08:37 PM.
Reason: spelling error