Rear Clip

My better half has voluteered to help me to remove the rear clip to start work on the car. Question is, how much does it weigh and we'll she be real surprised how heavy it is?

Thanx
Mark

Mark,
Just guessing I would say around 75-100lbs. I have no one to help me so I have to use redneck engineering to do all these sort of things. To get the clip off I use the engine hoist and cotton shipping straps(tie down straps). mounted through the wheel wells and lined up between the rear window and the top exhaust vent. You will find the median point where all is balanced. Just go slow and adjust the straps as the clip begins to lift. If you have enough straps, you can tie off the front/rear so that it doesn't tip so much. Pull the straps tight as you can. The straps will stretch some and you may have to pad your hoist to keep the rear from bumping as you pull away from the body over any protruding surfaces. I have rear coolers so that increases the height. I also have the car mounted on a jack stand to keep from having to bend over so much. You don't want to know the tricks I used to get the spider and frame so I could do horizontal TIG welding on vertical surfaces.:stunned:

P1010151A.jpg

Bill

Rear Clip and Cross Member

Thanx much for info. Got rear clip off this AM (with wife's help!).

Since I need to get cross-member to Dennis O for 427 FE mods,when I take the cross member off, do I need to store the car during the build off its wheels (ie, blocks under lift points) to keep the chassis/frame from having too much weight applied and warping without cross-member present, or can car sit forever with no problems having cross member off?

Thanx
Mark

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
One-man Clip Management

FWIW here's my electric-Redneck version of Bill's solution to solo R&R-ing the clips: two $80 Harbor Freight electric hoists sliding on an 18' long pipe so I can shuttle the clips forward and back (i.e. out of the way) as needed without taking up valuable floor space.

clip hoist.jpg

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Mutt, I have a SPF MK1, and the rear clip is very heavy, two fairly strong people can remove it but it is heavy. Putting it back on requires several very strong people, be careful.

Personally I would prefer a skyhook but lacking one of those I've removed and reinstalled the rear clip of my SPF MK1 by my self but it requires mechanical help. The first time I put the rear clip on by myself I used a moving pad and a two wheel dolly. Not a process I would recommend or ever do again.

With a little preparation an engine hoist works very well. I used some lifting straps from Harbor Freight threaded through the carburetor cold air intakes. It balances very well and is a straight lift to remove it from the car (don't forget to unplug the tail light wiring). If you have the room just leave it on the hoist with some padding, if you don't transfer it to a hook hung from the ceiling otherwise you have to deal with banging it into the legs of the hoist when you put it down and pick it back up. You can ask me how I know but then I would have to lie.

Mutt, you can R&R the front clip by yourself but it would be a piece of cake with two people, I lay out a moving pad in front of the car, remove the nostril, unhook the wiring, undo the two latches and wiggle it off, the rear part of the clip with the latches just make it over the top of the tires. You may have to pull out slightly in the area of the rear latches so they can be lifted past the chassis parts in that area. Just remember to go slow and easy. It's much easer with the front tires off but then you have to put the front of the car on blocks which is kind of a hassle. At some point it will slid off the car and on to the pad. Its a little heavy for one person to move around but it's doable.

I started a project some time ago like Alan's that will use a barn door rail system but like many other projects it's currently on hold because the car is now registered and the weather is just too nice. In fact it's time for a little road trip right now.

I found my build to be very rewarding, a few of use have done their own and know how hard it is at times. If you need information or just encouragement we're here, just don't ask for money because after my build I'm ready for the poor farm, but after you drive it the first time you'll know why you did it. Best of luck.

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Front clip with one person....-do-able, I have done it several times but there is some "pucker factor" involved as you can drop/whack/hit stuff that will bugger the paint and you will then do the "Why didn't I get help?" thing.

The rear clip is harder as there is no easy one person place to grab hold. I am building a roller cart that stores both front and rear clips while we do chassis work. This way, the clips are secured to the cart and can be rolled WAY out of the way to prevent the inevitible "OOPS" that we all do, but all regret!

No issue with the rear crossmember being off the chassis so long as there is no engine/transaxle installed. You will need to jack the chassis in the center of the lower crossmember to re-install most likely, not due to chassis bending out of shape but that the chassis naturally has some "spring" in it and the upper holds it where it needs to be.

Rick, the cart idea is a good one as long as you have room to store them. I used my living room to store mine. Not the best idea if you have women folk about. I can see the rear clip sliding off the back of the car and onto a cart just slick as you please, great idea. If you could share some pictures when they are all done that would be great.

Chet Zerlin

Supporter
"I am building a roller cart that stores both front and rear clips while we do chassis work..."

I realize this is a very old thread but I'm wondering if anyone has designed/built a roller cart like this? Or come up with a better method of lifting the front and rear clips off and on their car?

I am building my RCR40 by myself (with FaceTime encouragement from my son who lives a mere 1,285 miles away). So lifting heavy and awkward bodywork like the front and rear clips as well as having to move them to various places in my garage for storage is challenging .

Anyone come up with a better mousetrap?

Chet

Bill Kearley

Supporter
This is a very old thread but I can't resist. I can see NOTHING wrong with having GT40 body parts stored in my living room. Post # 9 Apr 25 2010

Chet Zerlin

Supporter
LOL! But Bill the key phrase in Richard's post was "Not the best idea if you have women folk around"....

Back years ago I kept the engine and transmission of a 356 Porsche in my living room while I worked on it. Yes as a matter of fact I was single at the time....

I have the doors for my body hanging on the wall in my study.
My rear body section is sitting in the mold frame. I can lift it up by myself at this point in time as It does not have any of the wheel housing plates or the front bulkhead or ducting in place. No paint, glass, lights or fittings.
yes it is heavy and awkward. I would think twice about it if it was a finished piece.

Morten

Mortified GT
Supporter
I’ve got the SGT Lee Dawson rears, just undo the quick release rear bolts for cotton reels, undo stays, tilt backwards, grab a hold in centre vent and lift off. To fit its the reverse. Doing this alone. Same as fitting engines and gearboxes. All doable singlehanded. No need to be two people.

Back