trans question...

hey folks, ive developed a leak that appears to come from my zfq trans axle where the axles bolt into the trans.
i backed the bolts out and put some permatex on them because it looked like some fluid was bleeding through the threads, but now it looks like im getting a few drips from where the axle bolts up. in the pics you can also see some fluid bleed through one of the bolts on the trans.

advice?
thanks

Attachments

• DSC01288.jpg
    DSC01288.jpg
    37.5 KB · Views: 297
  • DSC01289.jpg
    DSC01289.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 288
looking at it again, i should probably check the trans fluid first.
does anyone know the check procedure for fluid level on the zfq?

after that, ill look at the axle seals i guess.

thx

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
does anyone know the check procedure for fluid level on the zfq?

From the thread

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/vendor-m.../20751-zfq-new-proposed-gt40-transaxle-4.html:

"The ZFQ takes 2.5 litres of Silkolene Syn 5 synthetic gear oil. Adjacent to the gear shift shaft on the casing are two cap head bolts (one above the other). Remove the top bolt and fill until oil exits the bolt hole, then replace the bolt."

There are also fastener torque specs a post or two above the one I quoted.

Steve C

Steve
GT40s Supporter
Hi Mike,
Part of install proceedure is to apply silicone sealant or "the right stuff" to the flange and around the bolts before install along with lock tight on the bolts (some say need to lock wire the bolts but I have been OK with blue locktight). Not easy to have the CV grease ,silicone and thread lock all going at the same time but, I can attest that it can be done if you are careful as I have no leaks.

Don't know who did your install but, lack of enough or proper installed sealant is probably the culprit.

Shouldn't be a real problem as only a small ammount of fluid will leak out but, I agree who wants a leak.

As Alan advises check your level to insure you are not overfilled.

When I change fluid (assuming correct ammount installed first) I measure what comes out and install the same.

Hope this helps, Steve P2125

PS: Olthoff recommends (and I use) Royal Purple synthetic gear oil

PPS: Some CV's come with a gasket but it is better to use silicon or RTV on the mating flanges.

Hi Mike,
Part of install proceedure is to apply silicone sealant or "the right stuff" to the flange and around the bolts before install along with lock tight on the bolts (some say need to lock wire the bolts but I have been OK with blue locktight). Not easy to have the CV grease ,silicone and thread lock all going at the same time but, I can attest that it can be done if you are careful as I have no leaks.

Don't know who did your install but, lack of enough or proper installed sealant is probably the culprit.

Shouldn't be a real problem as only a small ammount of fluid will leak out but, I agree who wants a leak.

As Alan advises check your level to insure you are not overfilled.

When I change fluid (assuming correct ammount installed first) I measure what comes out and install the same.

Hope this helps, Steve P2125

PS: Olthoff recommends (and I use) Royal Purple synthetic gear oil

PPS: Some CV's come with a gasket but it is better to use silicon or RTV on the mating flanges.

the cv's were installed correctly, its after i had to take them off and reinstall that im not so sure abt. ha.
im going to take them apart again and reinstall. i used permatex on the bolts, but for some reason i believe i forgot to permatex the flanges.
not too big a deal to do it over again i guess.

thx

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I have the CAD file for the gaskets which are missing on those CV joints. I cut a bunch of them out with my laser for myself and some buddies. If anyone wants the file just PM me with your email address and I will send you the file. You can go to AutoZone and buy a sheet of gasket material then go to a trophy shop and have them zip them out with a small laser. I also have the cad files for all the ZF gaskets.

I hate to say it but synthetic gear oil finds a way to leak quicker than anything I have ever seen.

Back