Putting cruise control on 427 FE

Has anybody put a cruise control on a Roush 427 FE and if so what brand did you use and did it require a lot of mods ?

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Marshall

The Roush is no different to any other motor as far as this is concerned.

I fitted a Command Control to my 5.4 Boss motor which was very straight forward.

The vaccuum actuator can be fitted to the throttle control at the motor or direct onto the accellerator pedal.

Switches need to be fitted to the clutch and brake pedals and a couple of magnets need to be fitted to one of the driveshafts for the speed sensor.

Wire all the components to the main module and apply power and it's done.

The Command system works really well as I have them fitted to not only my 40 but to about 5 other cars as well for family members and they all love it.

You can see the control on the dash on the right hand side in the attached photo of my 40.

Dimi

Attachments

• PICT0374.JPG
    PICT0374.JPG
    64.6 KB · Views: 257
Cruise control on 40? Guess I figured if you don't have a radio, dash computer, etc. you wouldn't consider that, but each to his own.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Dave

If you look closely at the dash layout in my photo you can see the radio fitted left of the steering wheel and just above the right eyeball vent is a bluetooth control for my phone.

When I built my 40 one of the prime requisites was that the cabin was well insulated against noise so that on long trips I could use the creature comforts and not have to listen to engine and road noise.

Maybe I am getting old but my 40 is used for long distance cruising and not racing.
I had enough of that in my earlier days.

Dimi

Without side-lining the original question, to put some perspective re Australian registered cars, we don't seem to be as fussy about exact replication (studs in the seats, RH gearshift, no rear rollbar, etc), we HAVE to comply with various emission rules, side impact protection, acoustic tests of exhaust, and similar. So as registered, the cars are part way towards a modern car. Then many I've seen, such as Dimi's and others, are deliberately built as usable long distance road cars. I've been in several which were not too noisy, had good insulation and effective air con, were rainproof, and had stereo, cruise control, central locking, electric mirrors, parking sensors or rear view camera, etc. Cruise control is vital due to the police radar units which police big divided highways quite savagely.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Cruise control on 40? Guess I figured if you don't have a radio, dash computer, etc. you wouldn't consider that, but each to his own.

Cruise control: couple of sensors, an actuator, an electronics box. Maybe a pound in weight.

Air conditioner: compressor the size of an alternator, equivalent brackets., extra belt, two refrigerant hoses 6 ft long. Big box over the footwell weighing what, 20 lbs? Three rotary switches on a separate panel. FREON fer chrissake.

So, no doubt you've yanked all that out of your SPF. :lipsrsealed:

Somehwhat analagous question, but not in some critical ways: how to fit traction control. I've almost talked myself into EFI just to get it for my FE. Somebody in the UK makes a box for NA cars that does it by spark kill, but I really get the whim-whams thinking about all that unburned fuel pouring into my bundle of snakes. Might look really good at night though.

Last edited:
Sorry if I offended people. It is a valid point if someone has a physical limitation. I was only looking at the issue from electronic gadget angle.

Dimi Terleckyj

Lifetime Supporter
Hi guys

One of the things that sometimes gets forgotten is that a lot of us actually build our cars and do not just get someone else to build us a turnkey.

When we are building we can decide exactly how and what we include in our cars to make them fit OUR needs and not what we think someone else would like or what others think the car should be.

It is called freedom of expression and is what makes each one of these cars so unique and enjoyable.

When I built my 40 I didn't follow any standards except what my needs and thoughts were.

Dimi.

Keith

Dave I'm with you on that one. I too suffer leg and body cramps due to an underlying health condition, and when driving, it's bloody dangerous because if it strikes (and it can without warning) the instant reaction is: straighten the leg and get a load or weight on it quick.

Can you imagine what could happen in the cramped footwell of a '40 and it was your right leg?

Trust me, it's happened to me and is a curse, so, very reasonable and important question. Cramp can strike anyone at anytime whether underlying health condition or not...

Because of this, I no longer drive manual cars.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I have considered it on long journeys and hundreds of miles of steady speed it would be nice to have. I put a unit from JC Whitney on my VW Vanagon, it works good so far and was only $90.

Back