SPF Mk II FIA car?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
In another thread Rick Muck said "...other Superformance products including the brand new MK II "FIA" car."

OK, don't leave me hanging: what is it, when is it, where is it, how is it?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Seems to me it must be a 289 FIA Cobra replica, don't you think? There are many who use the "MK" type designations and I don't seem to see any consistency in their usage.

I like the 289 Cobras better than the 427 models, only have a 427 model b/c it was such a great bargain. Someday I'll own a 289 FIA Cobra, a Daytona, and a GT40, or die trying!!

Cheers from Doug!!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
My bad.

Yes, I meant the "Cobra" MK II FIA, our newest addition to the product line.

But we do make a GT40 MK II "R" car that is FIA accepted for many vintage events! Evryone should have one...................

Attachments

• 100_2805.jpg
    100_2805.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 314
  • 100_2806.jpg
    100_2806.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 311
Last edited:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
My bad.

Yes, I meant the "Cobra" MK II FIA, our newest addition to the product line.

But we do make a GT40 MK II "R" car that is FIA accepted for many vintage events!

Front engine, leaf springs, twin tube chassis.... how boring.... oops sorry.... how charming! :)

Yes in my little world there's only one kind of "Mk II".

But seriously, I thought the "FIA" GT40R was Mk I only (for some reason).

Does the MK II version differ other than in the usual Mk I vs. Mk. II ways? For example, is it required to have an FE motor? (I know, I know, by that logic it should have a T44 also).

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Front engine, leaf springs, twin tube chassis.... how boring.... oops sorry.... how charming! :)

Yes in my little world there's only one kind of "Mk II".

But seriously, I thought the "FIA" GT40R was Mk I only (for some reason).

Does the MK II version differ other than in the usual Mk I vs. Mk. II ways? For example, is it required to have an FE motor? (I know, I know, by that logic it should have a T44 also).

FE yes according to some sanctioning bodies, T44 not so much. The SPF MK II that won the Italian historic series was a ZF and at one point I am told was runing on 17" wheels!

The FIA HTP requirements are varied for the models. A MK I must run solid discs if it is replicating a 1965 or prior car. If you paint your MK I blue and orange, you may run vented discs! Yeah, I know, go figure. Also pre 65 configurations do not require a roll cage even though the Gulf cars (68-69) did not have a full cage.

I can only find the homologation papers for the 289 powered car HTP#224, where can I find more info on what is required to get a HTP for the FE powered Mk II? What appendix would a SPF Mk II run in? For where I live the FE was going to be a problem but it appears an aftermarket EFI system will get the emissions down to an acceptable level.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I can only find the homologation papers for the 289 powered car HTP#224, where can I find more info on what is required to get a HTP for the FE powered Mk II? What appendix would a SPF Mk II run in? For where I live the FE was going to be a problem but it appears an aftermarket EFI system will get the emissions down to an acceptable level.

I do not know if the FIA has issued an HTP for the big-block MK II. Here in the US, some of the historic groups (SVRA, HSR, etc.) have allowed "continuation" cars under the discrestionary powers they have. The very real problem of shrinking grids in many classes due to increasing car values has made this a "common sense" solution.

As I stated the configuration of the GT40 chassis will determine the requirements i.e. solid rotors on pre-1965 configured replicas.

Ok thanks Rick, last question. Does the documentation that comes from the factory for the SPF GT40 allow you to put the FE engine (that is installed post-factory) serial number with the car chassis number on the same documents. My local motor vehicle dept would like to know if the car will have the "original or first engine installed" with it's chassis. Basically they want an ex factory document that ties the chassis number to the engine number they are looking at in the vehicle. Any suggestions?

Ok thanks Rick, last question. Does the documentation that comes from the factory for the SPF GT40 allow you to put the FE engine (that is installed post-factory) serial number with the car chassis number on the same documents. My local motor vehicle dept would like to know if the car will have the "original or first engine installed" with it's chassis. Basically they want an ex factory document that ties the chassis number to the engine number they are looking at in the vehicle. Any suggestions?

David, emissions standards for cars like these in NZ are largely centered around the year of the installed engine going by my experience with the local Hot Rod certification guys. If you use a late model injected 302 for example from a 2000 XR8 then you would probably have to comply with emission standards from that particular car/year. So if you use a FE block the emission standards will apply to whatever that year between ~1961 thru 1974 I think, so as long as its going to be an FE you shouldnt have to jump too high in this regard. Then if at a later date ( like tomorrow:) ) you decide it needs a Genisis block to replace the original porous unit, your simply replacing it, not changing its emission requirements.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

For export (i.e. non USA sale) we can provide a "turn-key" unit and therefor provide an engine number with the paperwork. As you may use a "vintage" engine block with a 1960's casting number or a new block (some of which carry a 1965 casting number) you may be OK. That said, the factory does NOT provide any engine documentation, it is all done post factory by the dealer or sub installer.

Please let me me know if I can provide additional information.

Back