Coyote Motor fit in a S GT40PF

Oops, should say SPF GT40. Seems to be smaller than the modular 5.4 but bigger than a smallblock, so any ideas if it will fit?

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
It will work if the chassis is ordered for it. The Modular motor has been done in the SPF GT40, the factory builds the chassis with revised mounting bosses and of course the exhaust is totally different.

The 5.0 "Coyote" is under development for the SPF line, both the GT40 and the MK III S/C and Roadster. The chassis must be ordered to accomodate the engine and the exhausts and factory install kits will be unique to the application. Ford is a little behind in the availablity of the "stand alone" electronics package required to make this work without a Masters in Electronic Engineering, but it will be along shortly.

Also the chassis will come set up to support the fuel injection plumbing required for such install.

The 5.0 mounting is the same as the 4.6/5.4 Mods, so the exhaust and other fittings are what is being developed.

By a rough measurement using a tape, the Coyote is about 3" narrower than a DOHC 4.6L and almost 5" shorter in height. Length is within a 1/2" overall. Your results may vary.

Still pretty big, but more manageable.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
That height difference will be helpful in a 40 build.....

I was at a movie Friday night and a new black Mustang passed me in the parking lot...it was obvious from the exhaust note that the engine was not a normal Mustang engine. After he passed me, I lost sight of him, but could hear him for blocks as the driver gave it hell. I seemed to rev incredibly quickly as he rowed through the gears.

I think this engine shows quite a bit of promise--how freely will Ford be using them, will they become the defacto engine for the Mustang GT or will it be a "Shelbyized" type of Ford product?

Cheers from Doug!!

Ron Earp

Admin
I think this engine shows quite a bit of promise--how freely will Ford be using them, will they become the defacto engine for the Mustang GT or will it be a "Shelbyized" type of Ford product?

Cheers from Doug!!

Freely. It is the new engine for the FoMoCo standard run of the mill Mustang GT. Looks to be a great motor and it is getting fantastic reviews in the car rags. Finally, Ford does something good with the DOHC V8 platform.

R

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Freely. It is the new engine for the FoMoCo standard run of the mill Mustang GT. Looks to be a great motor and it is getting fantastic reviews in the car rags. Finally, Ford does something good with the DOHC V8 platform.

R

The 5.0 ""Coyote"" will be used in the 2011 F150 pickups with different cams and cam timing as well as other future Ford products. It will be a "staple" in products that use a a North/South engine configuration. The 2011 F150 will also use the new 6.2L V8, the 3.7L V6 and an Ecoboost engine to come on line during the model year.

The new 2012 Mustang Boss 302 has a 430 HP version that has eight individual intake stackes in a plenum like the race vesion od the OTHER 5.0 mod DOHC has. A little confusing but when you see the motors you together you will not have a hard time telling them apart. It really does not share anything with the Mod motors other than bore spacing so it could be machined on the existing line and tooling.

And remember, we have a member here (Adam C.) who was instrumental in the design and development of this new engine. He has been featured in several magazine articles about this engine.

Ron Earp

Admin
That is a big motor!

I passed by some Hot rod show on TV a few weeks ago where the two hosts were going on and on about how small and compact the Ford Coyote 5L was. What?!?!?! I suppose neither one had ever seen an old school 302 or a new LS motor. Probably the same guys who think a Ford 302 won't fit into a '32 while a Chevy 350 fits perfectly.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Notice that Lance sets off someones car alarm? I have a friend who used to love to drive his 351C powered "Cobra" through parking garages and set off all of the Mercedes alarms....

BTW, that car does have the standard side pipe mufflers, it does not have a full emissions legal cat system, etc. Ford is still developing an "E Rod" type setup for the 5.0 Coyote.

And yes, it wil go in a in SPF GT40. The exhaust system is under delvelopment, however to date no one has ordered a chassis for the Coyote.

The GT Falcon in Australia has come out with a 335 kw (450hp) 570nm (420ftlb) version of the Coyote engine.
I believe they fit in the RF very well. But I think a 302 is a much better option. They Look good (old school) and sound fan bloody tastic!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Boss 302 crate motors now available from Ford Racing - StangNet

In the 2012 Mustang Boss 302 you can get a race key that will recalibrate many of the engine parameters to more aggressive settings for the track. Is there any additional cost to SPF GT40 in ordering a car set up to accept this engine?

No,

We can supply the chassis and install set (headers, mounts, etc.) for the "Coyote" when ordered.

The Boss 302 5.0 in a GT40 will make a crackin' fine setup.....power and civility! I don't know if Ford has the "track key" system for the crate motor athough I would bet they have a way.....

Back