ZF won't go in third gear

I just got back from an afternoon cruise and for the first time my zf would not want to go in 3rd gear shifting from second.. I can downshift from 4th to 3rd and no problem... When I shift as normal it seems it just not want to go in.. I can double clutch and it goes in... and everything runs normal..I have a spf, 427 FE, with a ZF, 2500 miles and this is time it has done this.. any ideas or suggestions.. thanks

First off I will tell you I don't know my way around the inside of the ZF like others on this site, hopefully they will jump in. I will tell you that you should check the trans fluid level, then make sure there is nothing binding in the engagement while the car is running but not moving.

When you say double clutch do you mean one depression to disengage 2nd then another to engage 3rd or?

Might want to call RBT as well.

Last edited:

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Right hand drive or left hand? If its left hand drive you could just have a cable adjustment problem. If you have cables, check the backing nuts on the cable sheath where it connects to the transaxle mounts.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
Sounds like a clutch adjustment (release) problem to me.. Synchros for 1st and second gear get the greatest amount of wear so they would be naturally harder to select.

Julian

Lifetime Supporter
I agree with Randy most likely a clutch disengagement issue, first thing I would do is bleed the clutch line.

Do you have an external slave or a hydraulic throwout bearing?

Julian

Just wondering....if it were a clutch release problem, I would think that there would be some tactile hint. IE, you would probably feel less throw, and might even notice the drag on the disc at stop....the car would want to continue forward despite the pedal being pushed all the way in.

If you don't have much of a tactile sensation...
1. does "pumping" the clutch help?
2. have you checked to see if your fluid level is low, or if there is evidence of a fluid leak (esp out the bottom of the bellhousing (assuming in internal TO bearing))?

I just wonder about the clutch issue, as anytime I've had problems with my hydraulic TO, it didn't matter what gear I was in or trying to go to, it just didn't want to engage.

That said, I'd wonder about the (cable ?) shifter setup...loose or out of adjustment. Put your hands on the mechinism as see if it seems loose at all. If you're truely having problems with a particular exchange, I would think shift mechinism first, trany second. As I've said, in my experience, clutch problems usually manifest in all gears.

My $0.02, and not worth that much.

Thanks for all the suggestions about my problem and I have been standing on my head checking all the shift cables and found the backing nuts on the main sheath cable had worked loose about a quarter inch. (thanks Jack for that idea ) and now will check fluid level when my back stops hurting !!!! will go for a spin after the major rain storm we are having and see if I qualify for the "MR GOODRENCH" award....hope that fixed it !!!!

Back