Importance of "preflight" checklist

I decided to take the GT40 out for a little blast today. I had just finished doing my usual checks of oil level, tire pressures, knock-offs, etc. and was wiping off my hands when I got a phone call. I spent a couple minutes on the phone, all the time lamenting that the caller was cutting into my drive time. Finally I wrapped up the call, rolled the car out, fired it up, waited for the temps to get off the peg and set off. By the time I got to the newly re-surfaced highway near my house I was anxious to have a go and gave her the boot. Fortunately, as I did so I glanced in the rear view mirror and saw the rear clip just getting "weightless" and about ready to flip up. I had forgotten to button up the lynch pin and hatch latches! Thankfully there was nobody directly behind me as I hit the binders and pulled off the road. In all the time I've owned the car that's the first time I've done that, but it's just a reminder that these cars require attention. Get complacent and bad things can happen. Be careful out there!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Try a "Remove before Flight" type of reminder. Something like that over the keyhole will remind you to complete the "preflight" before you start the engine.

Mike Drew just pinged me with a good idea. He suggested hanging the ignition key from the lynch pin post so I can't start up without buttoning up the tail.

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Or a spring around the post so the clip sits high unless it's pinned.

That and a switch either to a dash lamp or in series with the ignition would be utterly foolproof.

Or if you don't like electricity a secondary hood latch from of any old American car.

Howard Jones

Supporter
You need these. They are nearly impossible to miss. And don't forget the nostril cover.

Attachments

• HPIM0115.JPG
    HPIM0115.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 328
  • HPIM0113a.JPG
    HPIM0113a.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 279
  • HPIM1085.jpg
    HPIM1085.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 277
  • HPIM1086.jpg
    HPIM1086.jpg
    197.5 KB · Views: 317
Last edited:
I had exactly the same thing happen to me but unfortunately my rear clip ended up acting as an air brake, luckily it did not break off and hit any traffic but that said it did make a bit of a mess of the rear clip. when I got it repair I make a couple of slam catch's and now if the rear clip is down and I have forgotten about the side latches at least the slam catches are locked, I have been told by a few people that this is quite common but if you make this mistake you will only do it once.

Whenever I take my car out now I religiously have a final walk around checking all lock wires on wheels and all catches are secure.

Back