Seat Design

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
I just noticed the following sentence on the SPF GT40 page GT40 Specifications:

"The GT40 continuation will comfortably fit a 95 percentile driver (6'2" X 240 lbs) by removing the seat "trampoline" support."

What "trampoline" support? Has the SPF seat ever been anything but a cloth-covered piece of foam sitting on the sheet metal floor?

I think that is referring to removal of the trampoline support that was in the design of the original Ford GT40. I saw and rode in Lance's first SPF GT40 which was one of the first U.S. cars delivered and that already had the foam seat. I remember that and the cable shifter being two of my big disappointments since I had already ordered my car sight unseen when I saw Lance's. At the time, I mentioned both of the items to Lance and he didn't mention that there were any alternatives at the time, so I don't think there ever was a trampoline seat offered by the SPF factory. I'm surprised that I eventually got accustomed to both the seat and shifter design although I would have preferred a more original trampoline seat and a rod actuated shifter in the center shift cars. From my review of the ERA site, it looks like they have both of these features in their design. I'd like to see someone design these features for the Superformance cars. I know Dennis was able to design and install a center rod shifter, but it was so complicated and difficult that I don't think he is offering to do that anymore. It seems to me that the trampoline seat should not be so difficult.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I just noticed the following sentence on the SPF GT40 page GT40 Specifications:

"The GT40 continuation will comfortably fit a 95 percentile driver (6'2" X 240 lbs) by removing the seat "trampoline" support."

What "trampoline" support? Has the SPF seat ever been anything but a cloth-covered piece of foam sitting on the sheet metal floor?

Correct,

The SPF chassis do not use the "trampolene" seating. The upside is the drop-in foam seating allows easy modifcation for personal fitting. The belt web seat system may be ,but will require installation of the welded flanges that the webs attach to. Not a "bolt-in" but not rocket science either.

The "specification list" that has been published is a little off at best. It has listed a brake booster (none on a GT) and that roadster/T-Top versions are available (none are) so I suggest anyone considering a chassis talk with a dealer for the curent, correct specs.

Back