Issues That Have Kept You Grounded

What issues have you had in the past, or that you have now, that has kept you car in the garage when you wanted to be out driving it?

What issues have left you stranded on the road?

How many miscellaneous issues do you have now that need to be tinkered with?

-John

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
John,

I think you will find the majority of of "on road" failures relate to the powertrain/install as opposed to the chassis. Granted early SPF GTs had some chassis electrical issues but these have been addressed and most all early cars should be "fettled" to the point where those failures are extremely rare.

Some of the most common issues relate to the cars with trick injection systems, ECUs that control fuel and spark, etc.

The mechanical side of the chassis is really fairly simple and so long as everything is screwed together correctly (and some early ones were not) and the chassis was properly prepped, there should not be anything that makes you whip out your Triple A card and cell phone.

I would not jump in a brand new car and take off cast to coast, but once it has been tested I would have no hesitation in long distance travel.

Rick-Muck is spot on.....powertrain issues. Most recently Water Pump failures (see my most recent post to "water-pump failures....again!) , before that rocker arms. Most of my issues have been caused by mechanics who took a few short cuts. DAMN THEM! Certainly the rocker arm issue and my current WP issue could be due to that type of mechanic. I wish I had Johann or Ian close by! My car was built by CAV in South Africa and then completed over here. It would be interesting to hear from thoe who built their own cars as to problem areas versus those that were "factory" built.

Underscoring Rick's comment, my only problem has been with a faulty high-pressure fuel pump on my Roush EFI, which Roush replaced under warranty. Apart from that my SPF has been trouble free. I would qualify this, however, by adding that I had my SPF roller delivered from the factory directly to Dennis Olthoff. I then bought what I felt were the best components in the Roush 8 Stack EFI smallblock and RBT transaxle, and had them shipped to Dennis to install for me. Dennis incorporated numerous upgrades like an improved cable shifter, better radiator fans, and lots of little things that he knows are needed to make these cars the best they can be. I've done a few little things myself, like installing Dennis' interior door latches, and I will be replacing the windshield wiper transmission this winter. (The wiper thing only applies to the very first batch of cars) I can't recommend Dennis highly enough. Other owners in my area who had local shops do their install have not had such a happy experience. Not because of the SPF product, but because of drivetrain parts or their installation.

You do realize, I hope, that you're not supposed to let them drive it.

Oh, absolutely Alan, despite what my wife says, I'm not as dumb as I look - they're only allowed to drive the Suburban and various bits of farm equipment presently...oh, and the ski boat... and the quads....and the lathe and milling machine....couple small caliber guns...left over 4th of July fireworks....you know, the usual stuff. There's no way they're getting their hands on the "40" until they're at least 12....or able to see over the dash....or reach the pedals.....

Back