Superformance GT40 questions... need help :)

Hi everyone,

We've been thinking about buying a Superformance GT40.
Here are some questions that we couldn't find answers to online:

1.) How much would it cost to have the car shipped (we live just north of Dallas)?

2.) Would we have to pay a gas guzzler tax? (Is the car qualified as a gas guzzler?)

3.) Would we have to pay sales tax on the car (seeing that there is no Superformance dealer in Texas)?

4.) Who would mount the engine and the transmission, and how much does it cost?

5.) Are there any dealers or anyone who sells a Superformance GT40 with engine and transmission already installed?

6.) Is there anyone who sells a Superformance GT40 (preferably a dealer), that is painted the Gulf colors, has stickers on it, has the side mirrors installed (preferably orange), has the gurney bubble, alcantera interior, engine, and transmission (the rest is factory basics, we don't want to modify it more than necessary)?

7.) Can side mirrors be installed on a model that wasn't manufactured with them on already?

8.) Can the Gurney bubble be installed on one that doesn't have it originally?

9.) Would we have to pay extra to have the stickshift mounted in the middle?

10.) How much does registration costs?

Last but not least...
Since the closest Superformance dealer is in Arizona (and they don't have a GT40 in stock now), are there ANYONE in the Dallas/Forth Worth area who has a Superformance GT40 that we could possibly take a look at?

My husband cannot travel, so unfortunately it's not an option for us to fly to California or Virginia (where they have 1 car in stock each) to just check out how the seating feels.

The feel of the seats is very important to us, for health reasons.

Thank you in advance for your help, I truly appreciate it!

P.S.: I probably forgot some questions we've been asking ourselves, if I suddenly remember, I will post so. :)

Hi everyone,

We've been thinking about buying a Superformance GT40.
Here are some questions that we couldn't find answers to online:

1.) How much would it cost to have the car shipped (we live just north of Dallas)? Depends on where the car is at.. Intercity lines has reasonable shipping

2.) Would we have to pay a gas guzzler tax? (Is the car qualified as a gas guzzler?)No since you end up buying the engine separate from chassis

3.) Would we have to pay sales tax on the car (seeing that there is no Superformance dealer in Texas)?Yes, you have to pay tax where ever you license the car

4.) Who would mount the engine and the transmission, and how much does it cost?Olthoff Racing can as can other installers. This is literally the most important part of the purchase if you are paying someone to do it.

5.) Are there any dealers or anyone who sells a Superformance GT40 with engine and transmission already installed? You can buy a car used

6.) Is there anyone who sells a Superformance GT40 (preferably a dealer), that is painted the Gulf colors, has stickers on it, has the side mirrors installed (preferably orange), has the gurney bubble, alcantera interior, engine, and transmission (the rest is factory basics, we don't want to modify it more than necessary)?Rick Muck is one of the dealers on this site, I believe he has one just as you like. Check out http://www.gt40s.com/forum/vendor-m...achines-motorsports-superformance-dealer.html

7.) Can side mirrors be installed on a model that wasn't manufactured with them on already? Yes

8.) Can the Gurney bubble be installed on one that doesn't have it originally? Yes

9.) Would we have to pay extra to have the stickshift mounted in the middle?Not if the car is already left hand drive

10.) How much does registration costs? Check out your DMV to understand the requirements

Last but not least...
Since the closest Superformance dealer is in Arizona (and they don't have a GT40 in stock now), are there ANYONE in the Dallas/Forth Worth area who has a Superformance GT40 that we could possibly take a look at?

My husband cannot travel, so unfortunately it's not an option for us to fly to California or Virginia (where they have 1 car in stock each) to just check out how the seating feels.

The feel of the seats is very important to us, for health reasons.They are only foam seats, you can adjust with more or less foam.

Thank you in advance for your help, I truly appreciate it!

P.S.: I probably forgot some questions we've been asking ourselves, if I suddenly remember, I will post so. :)

Kevin

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Kevin beat me to it!

He answered the quetsions very accurately. There is a "Gulf" MK I available and it can be finished to your engine specification. The cost of course is dependant upon your engine selection...how fast do you want to go? Speed costs money! That said, 350 HP in GT40 is very entertaining! And as much as the early factory race cars had!

We do recommend Olthoff Racing fot installs if the customer does not have someone in mind or is not doing the install thameselves as several purchasers have done.

As Kevin indicated, the sales tax is paid when you register the car, unlike "online" purchases where the state can't know what you bought from Amazon, a car needs to be registered and if you did not pay sales tax in the jurisdiction where purchased, you will pay when/where registered. We commonly deliver chassis out of New York State to avoid the 8.75% we have in our county. If we deliver the car to Olthoff for install or direct to you in Texas you do not pay NYS sales tax. If you pick it up here you do pay NYS tax, but get that as a credit in Texas.

Feel free to call with any questions. Even if you don't purchase from us, we are glad to help anyone become a GT40 owner.

Last edited:

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
There is a car very close to which you describe on ebay now. just search GT40 and search by highest price first.

K

Thank you so much for the informations, they are extremely helpful!

Could someone please elaborate on the tax issue?
Let's say we'd buy the one kcoffield suggested.
Since it's on ebay (sold by AutoHaus, a Superformance dealer in Virginia), it'd be an online purchase out of state, would we still pay taxes on it? (The tax rate in our county is 6.25%

Also, how does title and registration go?

The one on ebay says that it has an Olthoff Racing Engine... I thought Olthoff is just an installer?
Also, if something happened to the engine, to who would we take it to for repairs?

Thank you! ^_^

Thank you so much for the informations, they are extremely helpful!

Could someone please elaborate on the tax issue?
Let's say we'd buy the one kcoffield suggested.
Since it's on ebay (sold by AutoHaus, a Superformance dealer in Virginia), it'd be an online purchase out of state, would we still pay taxes on it? (The tax rate in our county is 6.25%

Also, how does title and registration go?

The one on ebay says that it has an Olthoff Racing Engine... I thought Olthoff is just an installer?
Also, if something happened to the engine, to who would we take it to for repairs?

Thank you! ^_^

Whenever you purchase a car you pay the tax on the amount of purchase price when you register it with your state DMV. There are exceptions, for example in GA when buying a used car from a private party there is no sales tax applied. Title and registration would be just like any other car you own in your county.

Unfortunately it's such a huge drawback that there is no Superformance dealer in North Texas... We simply don't know what we'd do or where to take the car if something happened to it, be it the chassis, wheels, engine, or any part of it. :(

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Unfortunately it's such a huge drawback that there is no Superformance dealer in North Texas... We simply don't know what we'd do or where to take the car if something happened to it, be it the chassis, wheels, engine, or any part of it. :(

As there a very limited number of Superformance dealers and odds are most customers are not near to one, we arrange a third party to handle warranty work. Any decent shop can do the work. A local hot rod/peformance car/import tuner, etc. can do the work and we will pay them directly the agreed costs. The car is not all that complex....it is a 1960s race car after all. If they can read wire diagrams and follow basic instructions, they can do the work. One does not need to be "GT40 certified" to properly work on the car. There really are few issues that could occur other than the engine. the most likely is electrical and electrical work is electrical work so to speak....same for an older Corvette as for a GT40.

There are some Superformance GT40s in the Dallas area. We can put you in touch with an owner to "see and sit" if you would like.

Since you mentioned no ability to travel, seats are a health concern, and the gas guzzler tax I infer there may be limited mobility in play and a GT40 is a little outside your normal realm of auto research. If that is not the case, then please disregard my notes below.

Otherwise, some words of transparency:
- A GT40 is not a luxury car no matter which way you cut it. Adding heat and sound insulation makes them quieter and cooler but they will not be quiet nor cool.
- The cars sit very low to the ground and are not easy to get in or out of; that is why the steering wheel comes off and the drivers in LeMans were limber.
-In many instances the cars are not water tight so you need to be careful driving in the rain or avoid it all together (may not be an issue in TX).
-It is a 60's racecar; it has "character" which is a nice way to say that sometimes it breaks

Overall they are wonderful cars and I really enjoy mine, simply know what you are getting into. To help, there are countless other stories on this site that describe owning one of these cars, two of my favorite were written by SpiderMike and KPeterson. I recommend searching for them and reading up; it will bring additional considerations to a potential purchase.

Kevin

Thank you guys, for the additional info!

Rick, that is very cool how the Superformance dealers work long distance with warranty and such...
We're still thinking about whether we want a GT40 or not... so many things to think about and consider. We don't make rash decisions. If my husband decides that he'd like to take a look at a car around here, I might take you up on your offer of help :) Thank you :)

Couple more questions:
What about extended warranty?
How do we get parts that a repair might require (and is covered under warranty)?
The car on ebay... This One (click)
It says it has a "FRESH OLTHOFF RACING 510HP (351W - 418ci) ENGINE!"
What kind of engine is that? Isn't Olthoff an engine installer?
How would we go about having an engine fixed? Does it have its own warranty?

@Kevin L: The health issues are a herniated disk in the lower spine (doing a LOT better now) and triple-bypass heart surgery almost 2 months ago.

My husband is 5'10", so I don't think the seat would be an issue, since he is not too tall or too short (I'm 5'8", perfect passenger size :D ).

EDIT: @Rich Roy: What are CAV & RCR buttons? o_O

Last edited:

Jim Rosenthal

Supporter
SPF are not the only builders of good quality GT40s. They ARE the only builders of cars endorsed by Safir, who are the holders of the rights to the name and the numbering rights to the cars (even if there is, how shall we say it, a certain amount of trespassing..) I have no dog in this hunt, I foolishly decided to have one built from scratch. If they had been around, I would have ordered an SPF car and probably have 10,000 miles on it by now...ERA also have a number of satisfied customers, as do Tornado. I don't mean to slight anyone by leaving them out.

I will, however, say something about Dennis Olthoff. He has been a huge help to me with the building of my car, with advice, parts at reasonable prices, and unfailing good cheer. And he can DRIVE, too. You would be fortunate to have a car he had put together and sorted out. That would be a plus in my book, that he had worked on it.

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Minami--here is a Roaring Forties "Gulf Livery" GT40 replica for sale right here in Texas:

http://www.gt40s.com/forum/gt40-cars-sale/32900-gulf-gt40-sale.html

Simon lives near Galveston.....man, I tell you, if I had the $$ I'd be all over this one. It's been featured at the annual "Keels and Wheels" event in Kemah...right alongside vintage cars of incredible value. IIRC it's even won trophies.

I wish you luck, and if you pass on this one you'll really need it.

Cheers from Doug!!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Thank you guys, for the additional info!

Rick, that is very cool how the Superformance dealers work long distance with warranty and such...
We're still thinking about whether we want a GT40 or not... so many things to think about and consider. We don't make rash decisions. If my husband decides that he'd like to take a look at a car around here, I might take you up on your offer of help :) Thank you :)

Couple more questions:
What about extended warranty?
How do we get parts that a repair might require (and is covered under warranty)?
The car on ebay... This One (click)
What kind of engine is that? Isn't Olthoff an engine installer?
How would we go about having an engine fixed? Does it have its own warranty?

@Kevin L: The health issues are a herniated disk in the lower spine (doing a LOT better now) and triple-bypass heart surgery almost 2 months ago.

My husband is 5'10", so I don't think the seat would be an issue, since he is not too tall or too short (I'm 5'8", perfect passenger size :D ).

I would be concerned with a disc problem and climbing into/out of/sitting in a GT40. This is a 1960s racing car that happens to be street legal. It does ride pretty well but it is no Lincoln.

There is no "extended warranty" available and run, don't walk fom anyone who tries to sell you one. The warranty covers the chassis, the engine and transaxle are covered (if at all) by the respective maufacturers/installers. Dennis Olthoff installs, but can also build engines. Dennis is racing his GT40 with an engine he built himself....and it goes like stink!

Not to cool your enthusiaism, but the warranty should probably be the least of your concerns at this point. The key issues are:

* Do you REALLY want a GT40?
* Can you live with the "quirks" of a car such as a GT40?
* Will you really drive and enjoy it? If not or if you are looking for an "investment" put your money in a CD and stare at the deposit certificate in lieu of staring at your car.
* Can your husband physically use and drive such a car? No power assits and a challenging entry and exit. If you like the looks, but not the reality, perhaps a 2005-6 Ford GT would be appropriate?

I am not trying to talk you out of a GT40, but I would rather you didn't buy one from me than have you turn around thirty days later and resell the car at a loss thus disappointing yourself and mudding up the market.

The surgery was 8 weeks ago, and right now he's working out an hour and 15 minutes 3 times a week doing aerodyne, weights and elliptical.

We also walk 1.5-2 miles 3 days a week, 3 of those days when he doesn't do the rehab.

He is not by any means close to being disabled or weak.
He is working hardcore at getting back to his job as a singer for an internationally touring band, which he has had to put on hold for a little while.

He enjoys driving cars, it makes him feel calm and excited at the same time.
Now he feels like that it would be the right time to experience his dream car from when he was a kid.
He had a Corvette C5, pretty well modified, 4 years ago.
He is presently driving the 40th Anniversary Edition Mazda RX-8 with some intake and exhaust modifications.

If there had been a Superformance dealer right here in Dallas, we would already have bought the car.

It's entirely meant for having an awesome time in the car and possibly experience some new stuff all because of the car (go to car shows, concourse, etc).
A Superformance GT40 would probably also hold its value better than for instance a modern Porsche Carrera or another similar modern car, which doesn't hurt but is not the main thing that we think about.

Couple more questions:
What about extended warranty?You don't... make friends with a mechanic and maybe you can get the labor for beer
How do we get parts that a repair might require (and is covered under warranty)?See warranty comment above, otherwise you can source it from Summit Racing, have a dealer ship something, Napa Auto Parts, your local racing shop, etc... Best bet, be friends with a mechanic

What kind of engine is that? Isn't Olthoff an engine installer?A Ford v8 that was probably put together by the shop, I am sure it is nice.
How would we go about having an engine fixed? Does it have its own warranty? Maybe but it is a long ways from NC to TX; see repair shop comments above

@Kevin L: The health issues are a herniated disk in the lower spine (doing a LOT better now) and triple-bypass heart surgery almost 2 months ago.Wait at least a year before he attempts to get in it... I am really not kidding, I broke two ribs surfing last month and it still hurts to try to get in the car (I am 31). Again, this is so much lower than any car you have ever sat in.

My husband is 5'10", so I don't think the seat would be an issue, since he is not too tall or too short (I'm 5'8", perfect passenger size :D ).height is fine, be aware they are quite narrow as well

Not to be abrupt but you should continue to research on this site for quite a while before you start to think about buying one of these cars. This is nothing like a modded C5 nor a RX8. I could attempt to pussyfoot around for a while but then you might end up spending a ton of money on something you would not enjoy. A Cobra replica could be more your style.

Rich Roy was commenting that CAV and RCR make very nice replica's as well and that if you are serious; you should look at them as well. If you still are convinced that the car is the one for your husband, take a look at the RF near you. Great price for a nice car and you can get a sense if you are interested in this type of replica.

Kevin

Back