Mk I vs Mk II

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Why are there so many Mk II's on the market at fire sale prices and so few Mk I's period? Other than appearance what is driving this?

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Why are there so many Mk II's on the market at fire sale prices and so few Mk I's period? Other than appearance what is driving this?

Hmmm. I didn't know there were. I would have thought the opposite from my informal monitoring of ebay, etc., but maybe I'm missing something. There's the infamous 1200 bhp twin turbo that's going to be for sale forever as is slides in price at $500/week. And there's Dennis Peck's yellow SPF roller, but what else are you seeing?

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Michael,

As far as SPF goes, I think when they first brought out the GT40, the show cars and most of the first cars shipped to dealers were Mk IIs.

According to the Shelby registry of the first 150 cars, only 39 were MkIs.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
I believe SPF started only making the Mk2
After a while 6 - 9 months from memory the Mk1 variants started to appear.

Taking this out the early cars may now me leaving the first owners, whereas the later Mk1 are still "cherished"

Just my opinion

Ian

Another thing--SPF has a unique niche in the marketplace, as they are, for all practical purposes, the only company making a Mk 2 replica. They focused their initial production in that direction to capitalize upon that. In the meantime, there were (and are) plenty of competing companies producing Mk 1 replicas with varying degrees of authenticity.

Although arguably the Mk 2 was the first GT40 variant that achieved the main design goal, which was winning Le Mans (in 1966), few will argue that they are aesthetically as pleasing as the original Mk 1 version (including the later Gulf version). From behind the wheel, a SPF Mk 1 and Mk 2 probably drive and feel exactly the same. But the aesthetics of the Mk 2 seem to be less popular, and that, combined with a greater supply, seems to be driving the price of used examples downwards.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Boy, I like the looks of both. They are distinctive in their appearance with the Mk I being more sleek looking and the Mk II being more muscle car looking. Just seems there are a lot of Mk IIs on the market for a long time and few if any SPF Mk Is showing up.

A good friend just purchased a used (1,600 mile) MKII. Not as many SPF GT40s on the market as there used to be. More are getting into the hands of true enthusiasts that will keep them for awhile.

Brian

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
... there are a lot of Mk IIs on the market for a long time ...

After a little research I'm aware of:
  1. Infamous LS twin-turbo on ebay that was wrecked, now at $80K. Not relevant to establishing any patterns.
  2. Dennis Peck's new yellow roller on ebay opening bid $65K reserve not met, since yesterday or so.
  3. Black FE in GA asking $125K since July on Cobra Country.
  4. I assume the titanium one at Hillbank is still sitting. Don't recall asking price now but when I heard it I rolled my eyes.
  5. Jeff Boulais' bouncing betty now at $130K since July.
  6. Red one at D&M for $120K since Jan.
The first one doesn't count, the second one has no listed price, and the third one has been on the market for three months. That is not a long time for selling a GT40. You could argue the fourth and sixth have been there for a long time.

Except for #1, and maybe #4, all the completed ones are asking the same or more than what it costs to build a new one.

So where's the fire sale?

Also, AFAIK, Fran Kress' Mk I R is still for sale. (?)

Last edited:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Not a great choice of words on my part. Did not mean that in a derogatory way. There is a silver one at D&M that could be had for a decent discount. Maybe as has been suggested the sheer number means there are always going to be a bigger supply of Mk IIs on the market.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Another thing--SPF has a unique niche in the marketplace, as they are, for all practical purposes, the only company making a Mk 2 replica. They focused their initial production in that direction to capitalize upon that. In the meantime, there were (and are) plenty of competing companies producing Mk 1 replicas with varying degrees of authenticity.

Although arguably the Mk 2 was the first GT40 variant that achieved the main design goal, which was winning Le Mans (in 1966), few will argue that they are aesthetically as pleasing as the original Mk 1 version (including the later Gulf version). From behind the wheel, a SPF Mk 1 and Mk 2 probably drive and feel exactly the same. But the aesthetics of the Mk 2 seem to be less popular, and that, combined with a greater supply, seems to be driving the price of used examples downwards.
I think you hit the nail on the head Mike.

I like them both, however I chose the MKII because of car runs cooler (427 FE). I guess because of the larger air intake area. My reference is Dennis O.
Currently the car is down as I need to replace a split inboard CV boot. Always next weekend.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
A quick side bar... Grady, I live about 9000 feet up in the Colorado Rockies. It's a beautiful place. I was not expecting too much traveling through the Smokies. I have to say I really fell in love with the place. Asheville is a very nice location. That, and it puts you within a couple hours of Dennis in case you need some work done too. I'm a little jealous.

Kirby Schrader

They're mostly silver
Lifetime Supporter
Sort of drifting here... I have been asked many times... 'Why did you get a MkII instead of a MkI?'

I've refined my answer to this....

The MkI is beautiful car.

The MkII has a downright aggressive, mean and brutal look to it and I really like the 'gunship' look it has when seen head on.

:thumbsup:

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Asheville is a very nice location. That, and it puts you within a couple hours of Dennis in case you need some work done too. I'm a little jealous.

Don't be jealous; move there. That's what I'm doing. It's also a couple hours from Holman.

Alan,
If you truly are heading east that will add to the numbers in the area. I say that we need to plan a get together in the spring. There are many places that can be used for a central location. Maybe work something out with one of the local Corvette or Porsche clubs!!?? I now have mine on the road. Goes for the big tune and dyno session on Wednesday. Sorry for the drift.

Bill

Kelly

Lifetime Supporter
Sort of drifting here... I have been asked many times... 'Why did you get a MkII instead of a MkI?'

I've refined my answer to this....

The MkI is beautiful car.

The MkII has a downright aggressive, mean and brutal look to it and I really like the 'gunship' look it has when seen head on.

:thumbsup:

Kirb, I think your car looks great and you have impevcable taste ;)

Back