SPF #2285 Born, But Still Coming To Life

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
To Jimbo, Jim Craik, Alan, other friends and interested souls,

Six months ago the components that would become SPF #2285 began the fabrication and assembly process. *See bottom of this post for more build details.

On 28 May it was placed on board for its journey to N.Y. Harbor. It arrived on 23 June, cleared customs on 26 June, and was placed on a rail car on 28 June. It arrived, and is on the ground in Los Angeles, and will be trucked to Superformance in Irvine, arriving most likely on Monday or Tuesday, 16 or 17 July.

I did decide to go with the RBT or ZF transaxle. I still wanted a sequential, but most are made overseas, and those made here are mostly for off-road vehicles, and basically, no one knows too much about the paddle wheel computer controlled shifting mechanisms. No one that is except the companies who cater to the million dollar racers who have $45k budgets for the sequential tranny, and another $35k for all the shifting mechanisms.

There are both decent sequential trannys and shift systems made for far less than the NASCAR ones, but no one mechanic (nearby) either knows how to join the system, or has ever installed one. I really don't understand these circumstances too much, but I just had to move on. And yes thank you, I know the demand for such is not high. However, there were many who expressed interest in such systems, along with me, but they too were wary.

I went with Roush Performance Engines, and they agreed in principle to build a custom engine that is expected to be north of their top of the line 576 H.P. GT40 crate engine. It will feature a solid roller with additional valve train girdling for added strength at 7k rpm. I had to accept the idea that it would take longer, cost more, and have a 90-day warranty instead of 2-years.

The extra build time will consist mostly of intake polishing and bench flow testing of the exotic, relatively new FI intake, which has its own pros and cons, and may cause traditionalist unintended pain and suffering. They also agreed to use a different ECU of my choice, which also really pleased me.

Since this ride has the wider of the two wide body clips, it required the custom build of the two rear 15" spinner wheels. At the moment, I can't remember if they will be 13.5" wide, or 15" wide, but should learn that soon, as I hope to be there in person when they remove my ride and three others from the 40' steel container. The cars are shipped without wheels and tires, but I’m certain the wheels are already at Superformance, who organized their making. I hope to take video and picts, provided Superformance gives me advance notice, which they have promised they would.

I suspect its months away from becoming registered and driveable, so I'll continue to grin and bear it.

*Following from 12 May:
You are correct Jim. Just yesterday I was notified it is tentatively scheduled to be shipped in two weeks, but one never knows. In addition, it will supposedly take six weeks to arrive at either the Long Beach or San Pedro harbor, left coast. They sent me a few picts as the body clips were just coming out of paint and being moved to final assembly, and that was three weeks ago, or so.

I guess the personality of this roller would consist of these elements: (going back six months from my significantly compromised memory remnants due primarily from the journey through the sixties): It's a MKI, Gulf livery (Special paint on Gulf orange is Lambo orange pearl [One can hardly discern the difference of color under diffused ambient lighting, but in direct sunlight the pearl alters the highlights from the normal Gulf orange to yellows and golds], it's the more extreme of the three body widths available and will require wider 15" wheels and tires, Gurney bubbles each side, leather upgrade, illuminated roundels, there is another upgrade to the interior with the door jam molding, carpeting, or some such components? Well, there may be other smaller items, but I can't grasp it just now.

Robert

Last edited by a moderator:

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Tires and Wheels

Greetings Alan,

Lance @ SPF volunteered to oversee both the rear tire and wheel choice/creations. I feel confident that the tires will be Avon, either 15 x 335, or perhaps 15 x 345. I'll know more on Mon or Tues when the car arrives.

I just this moment returned from Voss Performance (My engine/tranny installer), and Lance's son Ashton was there with his rad 2012 Mustang, having a lightweight drive shaft installed. Ashton believes my rear wheels will be 13" wide, but he is not certain. One of the many reasons I'm confused is that Lance once sent me photos of this custom wheel company's work, and one of the photos depicted a 15" spinner wheel that was widened to 15." Picture a 15 tall by 15 wide - amazing.

BTW, I continue to read a lot of threads and many posts you've replied to. I have a healthy appreciation of your vast GT40 knowledge and Engineer type of analytical analysis. And, your numerous projects are, well, famous now! Keep up the good works.

Thanks, Robert

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Robert,

Congratulations, I bet you just cant wait! I know you have posted this before, but tell me about P2285, MK1? Color?...........

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Greetings Jim,

I remain anxious on a number of levels, and definitely driving it is high on the list. Besides the engine/tranny install, there's many other details. Some are set and paid for, others are being contemplated and researched. The concrete stuff scheduled to be completed before the engine/trans are these: Hydraulic lifts all four wheels. Ride stance and all alignments elements will be set for the lower stance. The 2" lift will be employed when transitioning angled surfaces, speed bumps, or to avoid bodies of drivers of other cars I'm racing who have given up and leaped from their vehicles in sorrow :laugh:. Halon in cabin and engine room. Electric side view mirrors (I struggled with this more than most other items, likely because in breaks hard from tradition, is very subjective, and there are too many choices, and no personal experience). Sound and heat reduction of firewall, and center tunnel. I will personally change rear firewall glass to triple glazed tempered and laminated. We shall see if triple will fit, but may have to use double instead. Rear clip struts. Rear camera likely, but details still pending: most notably, location for LCD monitor and camera, and whether or not to include IR for night vision. I did secure a whale's fin background personal license plate of 69 GT40, and was pretty happy about it, too. Roundel number still alludes me no matter how much red wine I drink with dinner. It's supposed to be #6, but I may break from that tradition too, feeding the fodder even more for the traditionalists to hold their noses. I am trying to enjoy the journey, but while working full time, and for other reasons, this has been more difficult than I expected, but I realize it's good problems to have, as my friends often remind me. The car color and such is below. Cheers, Robert

I guess the personality of this roller would consist of these elements: (going back six months from my significantly compromised memory remnants due primarily from the journey through the sixties): It's a MKI, Gulf livery (Special paint on Gulf orange is Lambo orange pearl [One can hardly discern the difference of color under diffused ambient lighting, but in direct sunlight the pearl alters the highlights from the normal Gulf orange to yellows and golds], it's the more extreme of the three body widths available and will require wider 15" wheels and tires, Gurney bubbles each side, leather upgrade, illuminated roundels, there is another upgrade to the interior with the door jam molding, carpeting, or some such components? Well, there may be other smaller items, but I can't grasp it just now.

Robert

Robert,

Sounds like a neat car.

As for the wheels, the widest you typically see on Gulf cars is 13 inches...I believe they ran 14 inchers once. I don't think that there ever were 15 inch wheels on the originals, but if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.:)

Good luck with the motor, will you be able to run pump gas? I have a similar 351W (393ci) making 600BHP (solid roller, girdles etc), but I need to run 100 octane to be safe.

Love the wide body look!! (Already have a set of flares to go from medium to WIDE), but will have to wait for an excuse to make the switch in the future.

Keep us up to date, there are not a lot of these around, and few being built at the moment.

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Robert,

As for the wheels, the widest you typically see on Gulf cars is 13 inches...I believe they ran 14 inchers once. I don't think that there ever were 15 inch wheels on the originals, but if I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will correct me.:)

Hello Ron,

I've noticed your postings before and always wondered where Rocklin, California was. I see now that it's near Roseville. Bet you have some nice roads and scenic views to cruise and prowl up in that whole area. I never knew there was a Folsom Lake either. Yes I do live in a closet.

I'll defer to your knowledge on the wheels, as I did with Lance.

Good luck with the motor, will you be able to run pump gas? I have a similar 351W (393ci) making 600BHP (solid roller, girdles etc), but I need to run 100 octane to be safe.

It will take luck, that's for sure. There are some doubts about the intake being able to perform on the level of the heads and exhaust. If the bench flow test fails, there is a plan B, but only time will tell. I would say more about it, but since the outcome may vary, I'll hold off for a short while. Additionally, and we won't know 'til the intake is matched with the heads, the intake may need some porting adjustments. And, it is highly likely that the flange on the supplied bundle of snakes will also need porting to increase the stock area to match the exhaust ports on the heads. Anything custom is a pain, and there's many associated variables - and it makes sense once explained, but often boggles my simple mind.

This is not the race crate engine they have, which required 110 octane. We kept the compression low enough (Hopefully) to run on 92/93 octane without problems. And, I believe (But not sure) most of the H.P./TQ increase will originate from the induction, heads, and solid roller.

Love the wide body look!! (Already have a set of flares to go from medium to WIDE), but will have to wait for an excuse to make the switch in the future.

I loved the wide body look too. I did receive a mix of opinions on that subject, as I did on many other subjects. Some suggested the WB was great for the track, but much more difficult to operate on the street. I seem to remember that most of the concern centered around visibility and backing up. The flare concept sounds interesting! Let me know eventually how that works out.

Keep us up to date, there are not a lot of these around, and few being built at the moment.

Yes. I was surprised when Lance said that mine would be the only WB Gulf car in California. I do know that I purchased at the right time, because another WB, but not a Gulf, was sold several weeks subsequent to mine. However, I checked with Cole about the delivery of that car, and he said four more months! I'll keep the info coming as it happens.

Thanks for your note and encouragement, Robert

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter

Congrats, looking forward to seeing pictures as it comes together.

Greetings Michael,

I remember when you went up to pick-up your car, and how exciting it was for you. Doesn't seem that long ago, and I remember the photos of #4. I read your posts all the time on all the other sections of this forum.

Thanks, Robert

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
It's a great experience and I bet you can't wait to have it together. I'm almost in the same boat as I have had mine torn apart all winter making some changes and updates. I expected to be driving it back in May but one thing after another and a seriously bad case of OCD has drawn it out until now. I am taking tomorrow off to go round up what I hope are the last batch of parts that are at the fabricator, powdercoater, and painter. I expect to be very busy this weekend and if all goes well, be able to roll it out Sunday evening and fire it up. It's been a long trip but one that I hope will be worth it. Take lots of pictures early and often as you go through the build. Looking forward to seeing them!

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Just a thought on the car number: use stick-on vinyl letters so you don't have to torture yourself about your number choice. Besides, you may want a different number for a track event or whatever.

BTW, I think you're going to need every inch of that rear wheel width....

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Reply to roller 2285

Just a thought on the car number: use stick-on vinyl letters so you don't have to torture yourself about your number choice. Besides, you may want a different number for a track event or whatever.

Good thought Alan! Since you mentioned it, and just to prove how easily confused I become (Some may view as picking nits), I have noticed that the Gulf cars were/are not originally equipped with the black roundel outline border. I'm thinkin' it's another of those traditions I may have to set aside. Along the lines of using non permanent vinyl numbers as you suggested, perhaps a vinyl border could be a temporary solution for me, and yet could be changed back by a future owner.

Number styles/shapes are also an interesting study; all number styles were not created equally.

Tracking this car is not a topic I can seriously ponder yet, since my mind is full of other car related priorities due to add-on component install sequencing. If pressed, I would say at this juncture that this build would be mostly about entering shows, group sojourns, fun days on Sundays, and similarly related activities. I may just sit and stare at it - seriously. But, I do subscribe to the idea that only a fool never changes their mind, so anything is possible.

BTW, I think you're going to need every inch of that rear wheel width....

A notable observation. During the past year, the topic discussed the most when I pondered buying this car, that grew to become nearly a controversy, was the good ole horsepower rating. Before I settled in on SPF, nearly all other GT40 sales persons, mechanics, friends, and at first - even Roush, all vigorously proclaimed that with such a light car, etc., anything over 450 H.P. is grossly extreme and unnecessary. I agree fully if one limits their analysis to merely power, and the use thereof.

As for me, my understanding of the evolution of motor heads and performance cars in general is this: The long held magic H.P. number to covet, which was an unspoken benchmark of sorts, was 500 H.P. If one’s show car, street racer, or race car packed the 500, you be in the magic circle. With the arrival of highly perfected TT systems, and more sophisticated everything else performance enhancing, 650 to 900 H.P. is now the NEW acceptable wow factor. One must merely note that production Corvettes that weigh in at 3,150 pounds come stock from the factory with 638 H.P., and the new 2013 top model Mustangs come stock with 650 H.P., yet they weigh perhaps 800 pounds more than the Vetts do.

For me, the H.P. and rambunctious cam, and all of the real race car type additions are part of the show package, whether during a car show, or at the local gas pump, or just a show I enjoy looking at in my garage. In addition, I always wanted such in my life, but was only able to make such dreams reality when I hit 66, and I may not be able to drive this beast until I’m 67. So, to my well-intentioned friends, associates, and motor heads, I just thanked them with the utmost sincerity, grinned a little, and said to them: I’m going to make this happen because I wanted to, and because I could, and I’ll defer to my heirs to resolve it in the end.

I am fortunate to know firsthand how dangerous that power could be in this wonderful, but primitive GT40 vintage race car that I have come to love so much. And I say that respectfully and fondly.

In November of 2010, I took possession of a new 2011 Z06 with rare Z07 performance and carbon package. I have put on over 20k EXCITING miles on that ride in that short period of time. It’s a 7k rpm 427 with roller cam, 11:1 compression, 193 M.P.H., 0 — 60 in 3.6 second, 3,150 pound, luxury performance car with 515 H.P. and lots of TQ. But, it possesses a lot of computers to help drive it safely, and a 11 quart dry sump, extra cooling, and so on, not to mention air bags and other safety equipment. So, when I feel the need for speed, or desire to slam the throttle from time to time, I will revert back to this car, and will be very careful with the power of this new vintage race car.

All good things, always
Robert

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Look at Raceline Digital, Do More for Less for the numbers. Remember the Gulf cars raced other places than LeMans with numbers other than "6" and "9"!

You can do the black outlines in permanent vinyl and use the removeable numbers to allow you to "change-up" once in while. Hey, keep 'em guessing by showing up with different numbers at different shows!

Every Gulf car shows up as a 1969 LeMans unit with "6" so have some fun with the other events.

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Reply to roller 2285

Look at Raceline Digital, Do More for Less for the numbers. Remember the Gulf cars raced other places than LeMans with numbers other than "6" and "9"!

You can do the black outlines in permanent vinyl and use the removeable numbers to allow you to "change-up" once in while. Hey, keep 'em guessing by showing up with different numbers at different shows!

Every Gulf car shows up as a 1969 LeMans unit with "6" so have some fun with the other events.

Thanks Rick! That was music to my ears, to learn that not all are locked-in to micro traditions, and I think many GT40 enthusiasts enjoy some creative variations. I liked your idea about using both: permanent and removeable vinyl too. Please feel free to send me your product web site address. I may find a product there that I am seeking. Thanks too for all your efforts to share info and wisdom you've gathered through the years, and to keep this site tidy and efficient.

Cheers, Robert

Seymour Snerd

Lifetime Supporter
Re: Reply to roller 2285

Please feel free to send me your product web site address. I may find a product there that I am seeking.

A couple products of Rick's that I recommend: his glass rear window, and hist sealing kit that keeps hot air and water out of the cockpit.

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter

A couple products of Rick's that I recommend: his glass rear window, and hist sealing kit that keeps hot air and water out of the cockpit.

Thanks, but what I really need to know is either the magic password, handshake, or whatever. I've expressed interest in knowing what's behind the green door for months now. Have money will spend. Somebody PM me with the secret of it all, or not, as you wish.

Thanks, Robert :thumbsup:

MIDNIGHT,
ONE MORE NIGHT

WITHOUT SLEEPIN`.

WATCHIN`

TILL THE MORNING

COMES CREEPIN`.

GREEN DOOR,

WHAT`S THAT SECRET

YOU`RE KEEPIN`?

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter

MIDNIGHT,
ONE MORE NIGHT

WITHOUT SLEEPIN`.

WATCHIN`

TILL THE MORNING

COMES CREEPIN`.

GREEN DOOR,

WHAT`S THAT SECRET

YOU`RE KEEPIN`?

One of my favorite songs, remember it from when it was popular back in the early 60's!

I am a musician, it is in my song book!

...my apologies for the thread drift, you are only the second person I have found in the last 50 years who knows the song!

Cheers!

Doug

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Exhaust Notes and Music Go Together

One of my favorite songs, remember it from when it was popular back in the early 60's!

I am a musician, it is in my song book!

...my apologies for the thread drift, you are only the second person I have found in the last 50 years who knows the song!

Cheers!

Doug

I am merely a music lover. I can play the radio well, though. I was ten when Green Door arrived on scene in '56, but I loved the honky-tonk like piano, and the rather enigmatic lyrics. Yup, it's a gem of a tune.

Another jewel to wrap your ears around would be Soul Coaxing, a very amazing, more refined uplifting composition, well orchestrated instrumental, also from the sixties, which served as the impetus for my eMail address: soulcoaxing@ ....

Thanks for the note! Onward, Robert :thumbsup:

Back