How many RHD SPF GT40s in the USA?

I was admiring some photos of UK-based SPF cars, when the thought suddenly struck me that the vast majority of US-market SPF GT40s are being built with left-hand drive.

Other than Jesus Pozo's beautiful Linden Green narrow-tail Mk 1 (has that car been relocated to Spain?), and the various Pathfinder GT40R track cars, I can't offhand think of any other RHD SPF GT40s?

If you have one of these rare (and in my view, infinitely more desirable) cars, sound off and share some photos! :thumbsup:

Mike,
I ordered mine 1 year ago and it looks like it shipped last week. As you can see, I did go RHD and can't wait. I listened to all the pros and cons and just decided for me, I wanted RHD. Not necessarily for originality, I went with a 351 based motor, but the feel of the direct linkage. To each their own I guess.
I did try and listen up on a few tips through all of the experienced owners here. My build will have a motor with more Hp than i will need with a flat torque curve, EFI that will let me hopefully control some of the power, dry sump, etc... Car is on its way to Olthoff for the install and some upgrades. Should be done in about 6-8 agonizing slow weeks and then I will post some pictures of the completed car.
Mike

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 486
I am new at posting pictures and not all of them came through so I will try again.
Mike

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    322.9 KB · Views: 450

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
There are several RHD SPF running around. John Schriver's MK I (Ford France livery, white with blue/red stripes) comes to mind. John drove his car from Maryland to Road America in 09 for the GT reunion. Of course most of the "R" cars are RHD but they generally don't see the street.

I don't know the total number of RHD SPFs in the US, but it should be over 10 and up to 20.

I am new at posting pictures and not all of them came through so I will try again.
Mike

Mike,
Maybe it's the angle of your engine photo, but the dry sump pump and crank pulleys look like an extremely close fit to the firewall? How will your A/C compressor fit in?

Dave,
I won't. It was moved to the other side to accommodate the serpentine setup for the AC pump and alt. good eye!
Mike

Apologies, slightly off topic...

Mike,

Curious what your chassis number is. Mine was ordered late December and schedule for a September/October build.

- Jeffrey

And then there is Brian's GULF MkI

Attachments

• Untitled-199.jpg
    Untitled-199.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 347
  • Untitled-200.jpg
    Untitled-200.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 370
  • Untitled-203.jpg
    Untitled-203.jpg
    217.2 KB · Views: 428

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
To each their own I suppose. I am having a hard time not taking it off mine. I expect when I am done driving it that I will be, hot & sweaty, deaf, and a little bit wore out. What's next, power steering and a cup holder? Wrong car!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Note also that John selected the Halibrands for his MK I as would be correct for the pre-Gulf cars. The BRMs didn't get used until the Mirage series.

I certainly like the look and will do the same for my MK I.

That's true too. I do prefer the Halibrands on the early MK I cars.

Rick I hope all is well, its been a long time. I hope to see you and Ross again soon.

Mike Trusty

GT40s Supporter
Lifetime Supporter
There is my Mark II that is RHD RHS. Mike you have ridden in this car.

Attachments

• IMG_9319.jpg
    IMG_9319.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 335

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I think there is a RHD still at Olthoff's for sale... Blue with white mustache but it is an R car.

The car is no longer ar Olthoff's. That is my customer's car and he has retreived it and completed the install (hot Webered 302 with a new RBT) but is still looking to divest himself of the car. It is still on MSO and available as a ready-to-go turnkey. $150,000.

Attachments

• frangt1.jpg
    frangt1.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 342
  • frangt4.jpg
    frangt4.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 339
Last edited:
There is my Mark II that is RHD RHS. Mike you have ridden in this car.

Oh yes, a ride I'll never forget! :shocked:

That is by far the most overpowered automobile I've ever been near, much less in. Twitch your ankle and it's spinning the tires and taking you into the ditch! But I bet it would be amazing on a track! :thumbsup:

Back