P2264 has a new look

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
So after five years and almost 40,000 miles, I finally made some minor changes. I painted the wheel centers black, added the Raceline stencils to the Avons and added just a little color! Here are some photos I took on Sugar Mountain Raceway.

1044477_524664100934077_1364867982_n.jpg

Last edited:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Yes, they are, I got several colors, but I kind of like the deep red, I think it goes well with black.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Jim, I took your suggestion on the Avons, first experience I love them. I was just wondering this morning how to get the large lettering on them. I like what you've done there, can you inform me how to go about that so I may copy you? (the best form of flattery, eh?)

Stripes look good too btw.

Tim

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Tim,

Yes, really like the large lettering. I used the Raceline "Avon" Stencils. There are two sets one for the front and a slightly larger set for the rear.

As for paint, I really looked into this, the paint needs to be an off white, more of a cream and sort of fogged on. You don't want full coverage, leave it a little splotchy with the edges a little rough.

Last edited:
Looking good Jim......and you are one lucky guy having the ability/great weather to rack up 40,000mi...:thumbsup:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Tim,

The Raceline folks are in Canada, as far as I know, they only have one size, but you might make sure that you ask for the larger 15' AVON stencils. I asked them about paint, but they said shipping paint across the US border could be problematic.

The paint should be a satin finish, you don't want gloss. The paint I used was "Rust-oleum Painters touch, satin, Heirloom white".

I used that one because it is indoor/outdoor, bonds to plastic/rubber and I liked the creamy white shade.

Steve

Supporter
Jim,

Looks great. The stencil adds a certain "badassedness" and the stripes are a nice touch that breaks up the solid black.

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Steve,

Thanks, I must say that I love the AVON billboard look. The lettering really accentuates the curve of the sidewall that you really don't see without the lettering.

As for the stripes, I love the basic black look, but I thought just a subtle splash of color would add character. I really like how it came out!

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
As for the stripes, I love the basic black look, but I thought just a subtle splash of color would add character.

...and you were right...but it doesn't stop there. Darth Vader looks like a total wimp compared to your '40.

'Very impressive result, sir. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Here is another photo, taken in the sun. Another effect I noted, is that the stripes really show off the lovely subtle curves of the MK1 nose. Additionally, the black wheel centers really make the knock offs stand out, they were kind of lost against the original silver wheel centers.

971650_524664134267407_1922773566_n.jpg

Last edited:
So after five years and almost 40,000 miles, I finally made some minor changes. I painted the wheel centers black, added the Raceline stencils to the Avons and added just a little color! Here are some photos I took on Sugar Mountain Raceway.
Sugar Mountain Raceway, eh? What is the lap record? When is the next event? Looks like the safety features need to be upgraded a little, guardrails (never mind soft walls) seem, uh, non-existent :tongue2:

Looks hot rolling along Jim, gets much attention as it pops and crackles by the adoring masses at the C+C.

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Years ago on my Formula V I used Tippex of all things. ( snow pale, correction fluid)
Worked extremely well and even comes with it's own brush, and is easy to touch up!

Ian

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Hi Robbie!

Although I consider it Sugar Mountain Raceway, Frances insists on calling it our "driveway"...........She has little imagination!

Apparently when our home was originally built, the Cal Fire guys insisted that the driveway have not only thick asphalt and a loop at the end, but it needed to be wide enough for two fire trucks to pass each other.

Thats how we ended up with this long, very wide racetrack/driveway. The name Sugar Mountain came from the wonderful song our neighbor Neil Young wrote.

"Oh to live on Sugar Mountain, with the barkers and the colored balloons........."

Last edited:
Back