Lower Rear A-Arm

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
In the quest to find a vibration\sound (on another thread "Odd Noise - Dry Sump Related?") I disassembled a few things. One thing I thought may be the culprit was the rear sway bar and it's close proximity to the header collector bolts. So I removed the sway bar and vertical adjusting rods. Turned out to be a dead end but in doing so I removed the bolt that secures the bottom rose joint of the vertical adjusting rod to the lower rear a-arm.

To my surprise this bolt not only secures the vertical rose joint but also threads into and secures the large rose joint connecting the rear upright to the lower a-arm. Obviously this allows for wheel alignment but I did not realize the large rose joint simply slides into a sleeve and is not secure until the small bolt is in place.

My first thought was why such a small bolt to secure a significant suspension point? Second thought was if the SPF design is similar to an original, are the originals set up this way? Third thought, if so then the drivers back in the day seize to amaze me the peril they faced!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 354
Tim,
Both Mk I and Mk II photos from Dave Friedman's Shelby GT40 book shows the rear A arm-sway bar bolt exactly as SPF. As an aside, are those stock Bilsteins or adjustables?

Last edited:

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Tim,
Both Mk I and Mk II photos from Dave Friedman's Shelby GT40 book shows the rear A arm-sway bar bolt exactly as SPF. ....
I'm gonna make this a safety wire item for sure.

Dave,

Bilsteins and adjustable

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 324
Back