Superformance GT40 Roller Prices?

Been thinking about selling my Cobra and either build another GT40 or find a used one and wondering what Superformance GT40 Mark I roller prices are these days?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Roller list is $98,900.00 currently.

PM me or email rick(AT)timemachinesauto.com and I will forward the full price/options list if you want.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Rick - I was at Olthoff Racing the other day and Dennis mentioned that Superformance just announced another price increase on their GT40 roller. I didn't ask Dennis what it was, but do you know if they've now gone above $98,900?

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
UPDATES Superformance GT40 Roller Prices?

As at 1 Dec 2013, the roller price on a Mark I is $103,900.

Thankfully (For Me), the roller price on a wide-body is now around $125K. That translates (To me) that it would cost $200K for a Mark I BUILD like mine.

I don't desire to say I told anyone so, but actually, there was a thread on this forum not too terribly long ago when I expressed my opinion that GT40s sold via this forum were always under priced (No fault of the Forum, or its staff). I was laughed at and ridiculed. Then, I had to attend numerous costly GT40 intervention meetings. Very Sad :laugh:

There were two USED Mark I's for sale recently via Hillbank for $150k and one has sold already.

The wait for a roller has increased to 18 mos. or longer.

There is a new, very rich market for used SPF GT40 cars, providing the subject car is marketed to an appropriate group, all of whom can afford such things.

There MAY soon be an announcement of yet another Hillbank Motorcar Corporation success story. The subject would be capturing the U.S. distribution rights for a renown British made race/sports car. Stay tuned. Regards, Robert

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Both the Mk I and the Mk II are $102,900 as of yesterday.

I have one build slot at the old price that can be had if someone acts quickly.

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Additional

Bryce, at Hillbank Motorcar, just confirmed this moment, that the new Dec 1 price list on both GT40 models is $103,900, plus preparation fee of $1,000, making the total $104,900, not including any factory options. Regards, Robert

Ordering the wide body adds 20K to the cost? Is there more to it than adding the flares? I believe ERA charged $2000 for the 1075 flares to be added to their kit.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The wide tail option is $4450 retail. I believe Robert was referring to all of the options and upgrades on his car when he stated what it would cost to replace his GT40.

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Ordering the wide body adds 20K to the cost? Is there more to it than adding the flares? I believe ERA charged $2000 for the 1075 flares to be added to their kit.

Mike,

I have a sense of the purpose of the subject of your inquiry. I have no idea what "flares" by others are though, and will have to guess. Installing flares could be separate fiberglass pieces that are subsequently molded to cleanly attach to a standard narrow body Mark I rear clamshell that results in making that clamshell appear at first blush like a medium wide, or extra wide rear clamshell. Alternatively, it could mean something else.

New and separate rear clamshell body molds were designed and created for the SPF Mark I GT40s. They have higher vertical humps that are molded smoothly into the side vents and the balance of the rear. They also make it possible for the installation of the wider (12" wide deep dished) rear wheels and (14.3" wide) tires that make the car appear exactly like the original '68/'69 wide body Mark I's.

At this moment, I'm not sure if the price quoted by Cole at Hillbank included the cost for wider wheels and tires, or not. I was told the price was for a wide body roller, so costs for tires and wheels would be added to the roller price. However, rear wheels on my wide body were $1,000k each and tires were around $750+ each. In addition, once you use wide tires on the rear, it would appear funny if the front wheels were too narrow, so wider wheels/tires in the front would cost more too.

I believe it's fair to conclude that there is more to the SPF wide body than there likely is with "flares", but that is just my personal thoughts, and not a known fact.

You can see a color photo comparison of a GT40 Mark I narrow body replica next to a SPF wide body Continuation car here on this page - scroll down a little from the top page: Click Here

Regards, Robert

Last edited:
Thank You, I didn't realize SPF has a separate mold for the wide body. That's awesome.... Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe on my ERA the flares were attached after the body came out of the mold.

In addition to the rear clip, the rocker panels (is that the right term?) are also widened to flare properly to the wider rear clip. In addition to the $4,450 for the Wide Tail, I paid an additional $$$$ for Widened BMR Style Wheels and Avon Tires all around. Mine should go into production very shortly....fortunately at the much lower 2012 price :)

Interestingly enough, the Narrow Tail option is also was $4,450. Not sure what would be needed in terms of different wheels/tires for the narrow.

- Jeffrey

Robert,

Interesting that the photo of p1074 does not seem to have the same flared wide tail rocker panel as what is clearly visible on the photo of your beautiful car.

- Jeffrey

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Keep in mind the Gulf cars changed over the 1967 to 1969 period and there are several different tail types used. For some reason people have been sold that all were the 1969 "wide tail" design, but that is not the case.

The "narrow tail" option uses the stacked four lamp design and the same wheels as the mid-width tail. We can offer as a special order the Borrani wires as the factory has the capability to spline the hubs that they needed to build the Shelby and Superformance 289 Cobra MK IIs with spline drive wires. While not cheap, the Borranis are outstanding in appearance and I do hope someone will order the option.

Thank You, I didn't realize SPF has a separate mold for the wide body. That's awesome.... Maybe someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe on my ERA the flares were attached after the body came out of the mold.

SPF may well have a separate mold for the wide body cars, but at least for the rear, grafting on the wider flairs would be the more accurate way to build a GULF car....thats what the teams did (making your ERA more accurate than the SPF in that respect :))

As Rick points out, there were several versions of the "wide" rear end, including 13 and 14 inch versions.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
SPF may well have a separate mold for the wide body cars, but at least for the rear, grafting on the wider flairs would be the more accurate way to build a GULF car....thats what the teams did (making your ERA more accurate than the SPF in that respect :))

As Rick points out, there were several versions of the "wide" rear end, including 13 and 14 inch versions.

Yes,

The "flares" on the Gulf team cars were added pieces that were bonded into the bodywork. The 1969 units were carbon fiber and generally thought to be the first use of CF on a race car!

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Rick do you think SPF will ever build a 1967 Mirage GT40? I've never seen one (maybe there is only one) but pictures really make it look interesting.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Rick do you think SPF will ever build a 1967 Mirage GT40? I've never seen one (maybe there is only one) but pictures really make it look interesting.

Not likely. The market is too small for the tooling investment. I had a guy a couple years back swear he was going to convert a GT40 into a Mirage and he called me for weeks telling his deposit was "on the way".......I'm still waiting. However if you want to modify your car I can get you a windscreen!

Back