MSO date

I won't get into why I"m asking, but if any of you have delt with the state of California, you may already know.

Is there anyone who's MSO does NOT say the car is a "1966"? From speaking with various involved parties...I doubt there are many of you. In fact, I expect that every, or nearly every one says the same thing...unless specifically requested.

Remember, this is for Superformance cars only.

If you are wary, for some reason, feel free to reply by email or PM

Thanks.

Steve Wood (PANAVIA)

Lifetime Supporter
We talked about this with Irvine at length. I have advised the factory to make the change. It fell on deaf ears , I am working on documentation with some GT40 guys and old ford guys about the K' motors used in special performance vehicles at that time to get out of the thermactor air injection portion.

Yes it would be better if SPF dated them as 1965 cars for all sorts of reasons. Is Calif. at this point trying to require themactors?

There is plenty of documentation showing that 1966 "K" cars where build and sold new in Calif., like 1966 Shelby's without thermactors. I covered this in another post where I posted documentation that showed the state of Calif. allowed specialty cars (1967 427 Cobras, 1966 K cars in my case) as late as 1967 to be sold without therm.

I think part of the problem now is that the "Smog" designator that used to be on all Calif. registrations is no longer there, "0" for no thermactor and "1" if it needed one. Maybe they could somehow add that to the MSO or probably not, too bad.

Steve Wood (PANAVIA)

Lifetime Supporter
I need to add a update to my earlier posting.

Note: The posting above was not meant to F*** anyone over on the the internet.

They listened ( as opposed to Deaf-sorry ) and offered a solution ( so yes they have offered to help )

I have not heard back an answer on the MSO portion of the notes.

Reference ;

In the MITCHELL guides for 1966 Fords , which is where the BAR is basing their diagrams, shows a Thermactor ( AIR injection ) on all 4BBL V8 Cars.

As previously stated this was clinically incorrect as the SVO section of ford, sold 427SOs and 289 K Hipos over the shelf (OTC) and in special vehicles until MY 1968 when supply ran short. When a GT40 was sold to the public it would have NOT hat a thermactor. additionally MOST of the K Code 289 ( Mustang GT ) engines until almost 1967 did not have thermactor.

Ford had many mid year changes back in those days due to the sheer volume of engines and cars being produced out of their engine plants and car factories. Keep in mind on the Mustang Side of the fence they were producing cars at 3 plants across the country, and had to logistically feed all of them.

NOW _ my question is that; the cars are replicas , and are based on history , so if we go back to the build date of the lemans winning car - for 1966 race , when was THAT chassis minted in the UK >?

I dont have that info at my fingertips.

RANT > > > >

regardless - there were MAJOR changes to smog and safety for the 1966 MY , it would be my opinion that the MSO should reflect a politically and technically neutral year AKA 1965 as they do for other cars ( Daytona , Cobra , Etc ) . - no harm, no foul , we have evidence to support that they ( the GT40) existed and were being campaigned in 64-65, sold to people on the street, and equipped with 1965 technology.

POINT: a 1 digit change makes it soooooo much easier and clinically correct, my question would be why not. .....

With Best Regards for your Families , and happy Holidays ;

---Steve

( not trying to F** anyone over , just trying to make things better for all in the in the sunlight )

In the MITCHELL guides for 1966 Fords , which is where the BAR is basing their diagrams, shows a Thermactor ( AIR injection ) on all 4BBL V8 Cars.

As previously stated this was clinically incorrect as the SVO section of ford, sold 427SOs and 289 K Hipos over the shelf (OTC) and in special vehicles until MY 1968 when supply ran short. When a GT40 was sold to the public it would have NOT hat a thermactor. additionally MOST of the K Code 289 ( Mustang GT ) engines until almost 1967 did not have thermactor.

Steve...as you are aware, this is exactly what I'm trying to document. I just need the primary sources. The Mitchell guides are exactly what the BAR is looking at, and is definitely not infallible.

Steve Wood (PANAVIA)

Lifetime Supporter
Ron, as you and I have discussed on the phone, ....YUP. and you get the second copy when I am done, I will publish on the web as well.

I cant believe I got yelled at today for trying to sort this out.

( Sigh )

Steve

Steve,

You'll have to tell me sometime who was yelling, and why.

Perhaps that's fodder for a private discussion.

Thanks.

Back