SPF GT vs GT 40

Steve Wood (PANAVIA)

Lifetime Supporter
Is there an online resource of how the SPF GT , then became recognized as a GT40 and at some point the Safir guys were happy >?

I am curious about the MKII SPF period, and any appreciable changes between that and a more recent MKII.

Example ; How many SPF GTs were made >? Were they all the MKII design >? how many made it to the USA >?

Steve

Good question Steve I am a newbee & have been wondering about this question also as I have purchased SP2127 and want to know where it falls...specifically chassis and suspension structural specs and differences-early vs. later. I have also wondered about the serial number differences...Sp21xx, SP22xx, SP23xx, and their apps. & differences..
Just trying to learn.. Thanks for the help out there!
R.Carr

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The very early cars were "SPF GTs". I can check the number of units that were shipped before the Safir licensing took effect.

There are minor differences in the cars as production took place. These are not related to the "GT40" license but rather to production changes and product improvements.

The chassis numbers started in the "20XX" series but moved to "21XX" and the "20XX" series became an option, i.e. "2075" to mirror "1075" if you wished to pay an extra fee.

Cars are now up to the high 2290s and will be into the 2300s shortly.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I have P/2264, its a MK1 and was shipped in July 2008.

And I had P2269/70/71 that shipped in May 2009. However the numbers are not assigned in strict numerical order and the "R" cars are different sequence. SPF has built over 225 GTs to date and currently there is a very full order book.

Just out of curiosity, does anyone know how much the "GT40" trademark owners (Safir) are paid by Superformance for use of the "GT40" mark? Is it a $amount per-car or some other pricing mechanism?

From the USPTO.gov site:

Word Mark GT 40
Goods and Services IC 012. US 019. G & S: AUTOMOBILES AND STRUCTURAL PARTS THEREFOR. FIRST USE: 19820000. FIRST USE IN COMMERCE: 19820000
Mark Drawing Code (1) TYPED DRAWING
Serial Number 73531071
Filing Date April 8, 1985
Current Basis 1A
Original Filing Basis 1A
Published for Opposition July 23, 1985
Registration Number 1363264
Registration Date October 1, 1985
Owner (REGISTRANT) SAFIR ENGINEERING LIMITED CORPORATION UNITED KINGDOM BROOKLANDS GARAGE, OYSTER LANE BYFLEET, WEYBRIDGE, SURREY ENGLAND
(LAST LISTED OWNER) SAFIR GT 40 SPARES, LIMITED LIMITED LIABILITY COMPANY OHIO 1410 ELM LANE TERRACE PARK OHIO 45174

Assignment Recorded ASSIGNMENT RECORDED
Attorney of Record EMORY L. GROFF, JR.
Disclaimer NO CLAIM IS MADE TO THE EXCLUSIVE RIGHT TO USE "GT" APART FROM THE MARK AS SHOWN
Type of Mark TRADEMARK
Register PRINCIPAL
Affidavit Text SECT 15. SECT 8 (6-YR). SECTION 8(10-YR) 20070222.
Renewal 1ST RENEWAL 20070222
Live/Dead Indicator LIVE

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Could someone buy a SPF GT, ranther than a GT40, and save some money?

Just askin' (stirring the pot).

No.

The license agreement precludes that. They can leave off the ID plate and give it a non "GT40p/XXXC VIN, but you will pay the same.

I like stirrin' a pot of Brunswick stew myself!

Back