Weak South African Rand - car prices

Hi all

I just read a report that the South African Rand is at a 5 year low against the dollar and pound and wondered how this might effect prices of cars like Superformance GT40s?

With Superformance do you have to buy from the dealer in your country or can you go directly to the factory in South Africa and what is the difference in cost between buying a new SPF GT40 in the USA vs South Africa vs UK?

I am guessing that with the currency rates at the moment it would be cheaper to buy a car from South Africa and import yourself.

Trev

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The factory does not sell direct. Hi Tech Automotive is the factory and they are a "contract" manufacturer, i.e. they build to the order of their customers, in this case the customer is Superformance (the distributor/brand) for their dealers.

Hi Tech also builds for other brands but all are sold/distributed by another entity.

The Dollar/Pound/Rand exchange IS a factor, however as the factory has kept its price artificially low over the last few years to help keep sales demand going during the economic collapse don't expect the price to go down. Hi Tech has in fact raised prices (and thus Superformance) to recover some of the costs they have been eating over the last couple of years. Plus outside materials and components have had substantial increases that can no longer be absorbed.

Purchasing in the UK is a different deal as the cars are sold running with IVA certification. The pricing in the UK reflects this and cannot be directly compared to the US pricing. Yes, you can purchase from me and export the roller to the UK, do your own completion and go for IVA if you have the time and money to do so. But you can't go to South Africa and purchase/export yourself.

Thanks for the reply Mark, very useful.

As you state buying the car from a different country outside the UK does make the purchase price cheaper but you can't buy from the factory in South Africa. However don't Superformance have a South African distributor as the Superformance website lists Future Classics.

What I am trying to work out is where is the cheapest place in the world to buy a SPF 40 right now based on currency rates.

Back