Haha - GT40 Critique

Keith

Re: Haha

But it's got body panels taken from the original moulds and it was licensed by Carroll Shelby, so it's special, and that's why it's expensive.

Yeah and someone who owns a "real" one said it looks correct.
I guess and SPF is licensed by the origional type holders so they are 400k then.

Looks like a fantastic car. It's a shame somebody went to all the time and trouble to make a really GOOD replica of a GT40 Mk 2, but then chose to paint it like a later Mk 1? That's just stupidity.

In general I would say that this particular car would be worth a notable price premium over a normal, LHD, Windsor-powered Mk 2, but the paint is a real detractor. If I was in a buying mood, I'd be factoring in the price of a paint job when making an offer.

And no, it wouldn't be anywhere near $350K, or even half that....:laugh4:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

Look at the FGT market. A small group of people decided it was time to hype and inflate the market and wala! FGTs are now selling for $250k with asking prices approaching $400k+. Let's all get together and put our cars on the market for $500k and create the same bubble. Just make sure you sell before the bubble bursts...

Mike Drew

You're spot on with your comment. This is a great looking car but the person who buys it (IMHO) is a bit of a poseur maybe more then a bit.

If someone is willing to part with the kind of money they're asking you would hope they have some knowledge of GT 40's and would not pay a HUGE premium for a car painted in colors that simply did not exist. POSEUR!

I can appreciate anyone who buys or makes a GT40 and then puts there own spin on it but to actually spend 2-3 times the going rate on a car that someone sells as a tribute to a fictitious car is a wee bit off. Personally I'd get tired of having to explain why I had MKII painted in Gulf Oil colors to those asking.

To each their own I guess.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter

A lot of you guys are down there in the Paddock talking politics. Hasn't anyone figured out that in the world we live in simply saying something means its true. Black is white and vice versa. I paint a MkII in Gulf livery and ask a million dollars for it... who are you to tell me I'm wrong? Are you a racist? Maybe you're a homophobe? Do you have MkII Gulf envy? Were you actually there in 66? How do you know there was not a Gulf MkII? It's a gov't conspiracy! Sounds like a hate crime to me!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter

Look at the FGT market. A small group of people decided it was time to hype and inflate the market and wala! FGTs are now selling for $250k with asking prices approaching $400k+. Let's all get together and put our cars on the market for $500k and create the same bubble. Just make sure you sell before the bubble bursts...

If it's on the internet.....[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rmx4twCK3_I]State Farm® - State of Disbelief (French Model) - YouTube[/ame]

I actually think the car is fine. Not what I would have done, but my car is not what others would do. Still pretty awesome. Advertising it as somehow more "original" is I think what's most bothersome. I do think the $350K price overly optimistic, but the "I want it now!" price could justifiably be $200K. I'll have north of $150K in mine, I would not take $180K for it any time soon. I sincerely hope no one offers me $200K in the short term - that would be tough dilemma. $350K and it's yours. Delivery included.

Mike does have a point about our being able to push the bubble a bit on resale values fairly easily. I'm glad the owner of this car is leading the charge. Certainly one of the reasons I chose SPF is their concerted efforts to preserve our resale values. I hope the bubble does indeed hit $250K+ some day :)

- Jeffrey

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter

Ok, mine is for sale $500k with a $350k rebate. :laugh:

Advertisement says, "with period correct decals".

I wonder what Mr Firestone would say about the AVON tyres decals on this Mk11 ?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I guess I will never understand why sellers always need to "embelish" a product. The "Carroll Shelby licensed" thing has nothing to do with a GT40. Shelby holds no rights to the GT40. Now there is a "Carroll Shelby 80th" special edition GT40 offered that is decorated with a bunch of Shelby engraved signatures, etc. and that is a "licensed" model, but any other GT40 has no connection to Shelby other than having been run by the team.

Of course if these types of hyperbole entice a buyer I would safely say said buyer is not a knowledgeable enthusiast and is getting what they deserve.

Back