P2161 Maintenance

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Car has ~4k miles so I serviced the wheel bearings and installed new dust shields. Used NLGI rated GC-LB grease with a 560f degree drop point. Some other items still to be wrapped up and hoping to have her road worthy by the end of April.

2014040600.jpg

2014040601.jpg

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I am so looking forward to firing her up and feeling that rumble! Oct was a long time ago...

YTChannelArt.jpg

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Ha $20k paint jobs are not something I intend on doing each year. Maybe every other lol...

Mike,
You have done all the other stuff yourself, So why not paint it??? I am doing mine just for that reason(the money that is). It only takes time and a "couple" of hundred bucks.

Bill

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
This is just my opinion of course but a good paint job is an art form. I am sure there are those out there with the skills, equipment, and facilities to do a good job. I just didn't feel that was something I wanted to take on knowing what my expectations were regarding the completed product.

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
This is just my opinion of course but a good paint job is an art form. I am sure there are those out there with the skills, equipment, and facilities to do a good job. I just didn't feel that was something I wanted to take on knowing what my expectations were regarding the completed product.

'Agree. Ditto upholstery IMHO.

Larry,I have to agree on the upholstery. That is a real art, that I could never duplicate or do,
P2020060.jpg

P2030068.jpg

but with paint there are just some parts of the job I don't like. Sanding for one, but once you enter the arena, it's just something that has to be done. It's a skill set you just have to learn. That's one of the reasons why I decided on building the 40. I would learn skills that I had never known or done. Then I can say there isn't one part of the build I didn't participate in. For upholstery, I picked it out, but he did the magic!! Now its my turn with the wand.

Bill

Mike,

Quite the resume' for that battery. Not cheap either but then again should save a wee bit on petrol consumption over time. :thumbsup:

Keith

Decided to replace the standard lead acid battery with a lithium battery from Braille. Fabricating a new battery box from aluminum. 6.6lbs vs 30 or 40lbs.

You're shaping up to be one of those "always talking about it but never finishing it" SPF kind of drivers you love so much Mike..

:rolleyes:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
You must have me confused with someone else? I do maintenance & work on my car each winter and drive it each summer. I'm reinstalling the half shafts tonight and hope to have it back on the ground by the end of the week. Just because it's clean enough to eat off of top to bottom doesn't mean I don't enjoy the heck out of it during the warm summer months in Colorado.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Mustard is attempting his hand at wit and referring to a gentleman who got his undies in a bunch and "quit". I predict here and now that said individual has been feverishly working in the garage to actually complete his car which by the way is the sister car to mine 2160 if I remember right. He will eventually make his triumphant return the this forum and show us all he really is capable of more than just twiddling but never finishing :)

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
You guys crack me up. BUT on a serious note, I bought my wife a twin needle walking foot sewing machine that just showed up today, it will do twin stitch on leather like a hot knife through butter. For some reason shes not very happy about it. :)

Bill your apostasy looks good.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
You guys crack me up. BUT on a serious note, I bought my wife a twin needle walking foot sewing machine that just showed up today, it will do twin stitch on leather like a hot knife through butter. For some reason shes not very happy about it. :)

Bill your apostasy looks good.

She could sew you new leather seats...How could she NOT be happy about that!!!!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Hubs are all done and half shafts re-installed this morning. Removed that pesky and ineffective e-brake setup. I don't find it to be necessary on this car. Wilwood supplied new rotor hat hardware so I could remove the drum. Will be fabbing up a new center console cover as one of the last things to be done. Heading out for a couple weeks but when I return it should be on the ground and ready to go with just an hour or two worth of work left. Can't wait to fire her up.

2014042700.jpg

2014042701.jpg

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Our state "safety" inspection requires the e-brake so we can't remove it. And speaking of the e-brake no original GT40 is legal in New York due to that fact. The state requires the "emergency" brake be independent of the service brake system and not hydraulic. GT40s had an e-brake system that used a cable and bellcrank to pull the brake pedal down and apply all four calipers. Very effective for the ACO regulations, New York State not so much.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I still have the e-brake and its come in handy a many times specially loading and unloading, but know a couple of the guys have removed them.

After reading my last post I wonder where spell check came up with the word apostasy, meant to say upholstery.

Back