SPF MRK I GT40R Kicks Azz At Track

Robert, exciting video. A couple of things noted: With the car being so much faster then others I wonder why it was so far down the grid.....and why do you think the driver pumps the brake just prior to going into turn 1? The video also shows how hard this car can be to drive quickly because the driver is working bloody hard.

Thanks for posting though.

Is it just an illusion, or were the braking distances really long in that video? I kept thinking "Stay on the throttle!" when he came into most turns... Or is it an artifact of trying to replicate original brakes that just don't keep up with modern standards?

Also, I know I am at least 3/10s faster a lap when I have the steering wheel on straight. :)

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
That car has the current Wilwood brake setup. A lot of drivers give the brakes a little "pump" before they REALLY need them as the pads tend to "knock-back" and cause a soft pedal on first application.

Those darn Audi rear view mirror housings! Should pull it off there and stick the 1964 FOMOCO one in place of it............................

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Too bad someone wasn't sitting up in the stands on the straight to catch that thing going by full tilt

Watch the speedo needle at the end of the video on the straight. It looks like he tops it out over 200.

Is the RHD shift linkage a rod or cable. Point being he seems to slam it pretty quick. Pretty impressive it it is gatted.

That guy has definately been around the block driving at speed.

very cool.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Watch the speedo needle at the end of the video on the straight. It looks like he tops it out over 200.

Is the RHD shift linkage a rod or cable. Point being he seems to slam it pretty quick. Pretty impressive it it is gatted.

That guy has definately been around the block driving at speed.

very cool.

It is a rod shift system on the RHD Superformance "R" version.

As this car has been exported to Japan the speedo may be in KPH so 200 is not quite so fast.

As this car has been exported to Japan the speedo may be in KPH so 200 is not quite so fast.

I would imagine the cars with KPH speedos would read to 300 kph, as that is the norm in other cars that I know?

There would be no need to pump the brakes if 2psi check valves were used....

Even though the speedo looks pegged on the main straight that didn't look 200mph to me. Speedo may not be standard U.S. one with 200mph. Considering the limited selection of speedo gears in the trans and whether it matches the speedo and/or final drive and tire size, speedo accuracy could be way off. He passed the Cobra, but not by a lot on main straight. Looks about 150mph to me.

Last edited:

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
Also, I know I am at least 3/10s faster a lap when I have the steering wheel on straight. :)

YES, TOO funny and so TRUE! I'm glad someone mentioned that! So, it isn't just me bothered by it. It was hard at first to keep my eyes off of it, wondering at first WTF, followed quickly by, what were they thinking, and concluding with, why weren't they thinking.

Lance mentioned on the phone that the Cobra ran a good race but added that they flatten out between 150 and 170 MPH with typical setup., while the GT40s with the standard 3.70 axel gear, 26.5" dia. tires, and 6.5K RPM can make 200 MPH and slightly beyond. He did not say specifically that the speedo was changed, but spoke instead referencing MPH. I've requested to learn the chassis number, and I'll inquire about the speedo.

Keep your wheel straight and your powder dry for the invasion, Robert

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
This is a legit 197mph. Big difference...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NEg5OB2CMQU

I am surprised to learn that you are an expert in the field of forensic film analysis of moving objects.

Both cameras were likely equipped with lens' of differing focal lengths. Because of that, the car objects were not the same size or scale comparatively as their image appeared on the screens, and their formats differed too. Each cameraman was moving their camera at different speeds attempting to maintain the image on the screen. Either or both could have operated their zoom lens slowly in either wide or telescopic direction either as the cars were coming or going. The surroundings were different as well: one was a more open field, while the other was close to solid fence.

I posted the video for other's entertainment and enjoyment.

I have no idea of the motive or purpose for your profound revelation concerning two cars that are traveling at very similar speeds. The exact speeds of either car cannot be proven scientifically, and even if they could, the results would render unremarkable useless information. Robert

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Just trying to keep it real Robert. Actually, the GT40 at BBOR was on radar at 197 so it can be proven. The one in your video might have been doing 130...

Looks like some fun and fast racing in Japan. The SPF is really kicking some butt.

I guess modern recreations can race with the vintage cars in Japan? Or is this just amateur track day or ??

Back