At last!

Well, for those of you not familiar with my saga, I’ve finally received final sanction from the California Bureau of Automotive Repair, the institution that grants smog exemption to specially constructed vehicles in this state.

I appreciate all of the information and support given to me by members of this forum. It was a LONG and stressful process, 23 months since I first ventured into an inspection station. While I had accumulated lots of information, and thought long and hard about how to best make my case, I think that the real difference was finally dealing with a reasonable and perhaps somewhat sympathetic individual in the state bureaucracy.

I still have one more trip to the DMV to present the accumulated paperwork, but that should be a mere formality.

For those of you considering a Superformance, be very careful about how your MSO/COO is worded. Lance Stander and I had a discussion about this, so hopefully nobody in the future will run into the problems I did. If you have any questions, feel free to contact me.

See ya on the road!:thumbsup:

Glad to see you've finally got things in order. BTW how will the MSO change to make it easier for future buyers?

Steve, Richard,

Plates, not yet....the DMV sprang the "brake and lamp check" on me when I went to turn my paperwork in. My bad. The DMV had never mentioned it before, and didn't ask for it when I did my Cobra. Oh well. I'll get that done this week. I was assured that that was all I needed. I do have the BAR exemption sticker in place, though :).

As for the MSO, Lance Stander and I had a discussion very recently (the latest of several) about this. I won't go into too much detail, but the upshot is that the MSOs should have 1965 or earlier (if that is what the car replicates) rather than 1966, as mine did....unless you want to be forced to source a 1965 block or find a way to put a smog pump on your car. Of course, if a buyer WANTS the MSO to say 1966, they can, but in California that may not be a good idea. I asked that Lance impress this upon his dealers. Hopefully nobody else will get stuck not driving their car for 2 years.

I realize that lots of owners have been able to make it through the system with the MSO stating that the car is a replica of a 1966 model. However, even a superficial reading of the statute will show that there is a potential problem with this, depending on who is doing the interpreting. There is a reason that every other manufacturer uses the year 1965 on the MSO.

If you are a new or potential owner in california, I would suggest you make sure that your MSO is correctly labeled "1965." If not, ask Lance to issue a corrected one.

Ron,

Great to hear! I think because of all you issues, we have benefitted. My MSO states '65 and I had very little problems registering in Ca. Now that your legal, next time I'm up north with my car I will call and set up a drive through some of those scenic Sierra's you have in your backyard :thumbsup:

Murphy, I'm game!

Pat, Thanks. I hope you're doing well in Georga. Sorry to hear that the car is up for sale, but everything has it's time. Good luck, and keep checking in every once in a while, OK?

Ron

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Good news, glad you got this over with. How many of those temporary slips did you go through? :)

Not sure if you added a license plate light but a friend of mine who is a police depute told me it was one thing they look for to pull you over at night. At least here in Arkansas where revenues are down.:laugh:

Good news, glad you got this over with. How many of those temporary slips did you go through? :)

Not sure if you added a license plate light but a friend of mine who is a police depute told me it was one thing they look for to pull you over at night. At least here in Arkansas where revenues are down.:laugh:

Jack,

I lost track, but probably 5 or 6 30 day permits...which they apparently don't give out anymore...wonder if it's my fault? :lipsrsealed:

They'll only give me one day permits now. :laugh:

Steve Wood (PANAVIA)

Lifetime Supporter
For future reference ; Spoke with Lance this week, the MSO can be 1964,1965,1966,1967,1968, 1969. The years GT40s were made/raced.

As I understand, Choice is made when car is commissioned. Your dealer should be able to help you with this , if they seem confused , call Rick Muck , or Lance.

I know that a 1965 model year as a selection would be something I would do.

As for the lights...yes, and a functioning reverse light (that took a little creative fabrication).

Jack,

Thanks.

It turned out to be much more of an ordeal than I had expected...and I'd done this before.

It really hasn't sunk in yet...I'm so used to being stressed by the whole thing. It seems silly.

I'll probably go for a drive on some back-roads this evening...a little get-to-know-ya without having to look over my shoulder.

Back