$375K for a Superformance GT40...??!!

P/2287 is for sale at Exotic Classics in Syosset NY at an asking price of ...are you sitting down? ...$375,000 USD!! Holy cow!!

Superformance makes a fantastic GT40, but am I the only one who thinks this price is a bit steep...?? What's so special about this particular car that makes it worth this kind of price?

See listing here: 1966 Ford GT40 MK2A Continuation -

314_main_l.jpg

314_p4_l.jpg

314_p7_l.jpg

314_p31_l.jpg

314_p24_l.jpg

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
There is something odd with the knockoffs. Neither front or rear have any thread protruding from the hub.

Pat Buckley

GT40s Supporter
I haven't inspected the car so I guess it would be hard to make a critical comment.

Other than the fact that Mk II's didn't come in Gulf livery, It looks like a really nice car - and that big block grunt sure helps with the sale price.

The Shelby connection is not that deep, IMO. I that my car was made for Mr. Shelby's for his 80th birthday maybe I should take a cue from this and raise my price.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I haven't inspected the car so I guess it would be hard to make a critical comment.

Other than the fact that Mk II's didn't come in Gulf livery, It looks like a really nice car - and that big block grunt sure helps with the sale price.

The Shelby connection is not that deep, IMO. I that my car was made for Mr. Shelby's for his 80th birthday maybe I should take a cue from this and raise my price.

I put mine on Ebay yesterday morning and had 345 hits by this morning and 17 watchers, thats the most I've ever seen on my stuff for sale. Like most I will take less, but how much less is the question right? Some people throw a crazy price out there like above and hope for a lotto winner or some prince to buy it without turning a head but in my experience that car will be for sale forever.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
Thanks Pat, really it doesn't matter you only live once in my books, but if it doesn't sell I'm ok, just means more work to get it the way I like it. Jeff I'm sure you made a good investment, a few years from now you'll be grinning ear to ear.

Last edited:
The 375K car is a marketing try related to its period "authenticity". I would think someone with 375K to spend probably knows about SPF, but you never know, and it does cost to get the details right as here. Seems like this would be a good Barett Jackson car.

As to the investment value of a "regular" spf. The used cars depeding on spec and age seem to have deprciated 20-30% and then flattened at that level. That is paltry compared to the depreciation of say a ferrari or a porche.

A SPF is a bargain, look at what another "real" Gt40 costs from gelescoe of Holman. My guess is with time the price from Sa will continue to rise, and production in Sa will cease or move to a more expensive locale.

New rollers will continue to get more expensive and less will be sold, the cost of completing a car rises every year too. As a GT40 does not really change, its not like there is a new model comming out, lower production and higher roller and completion prices will have an effect on used prices, as these are just a comparison to new prices.

The day is apparoaching where a really Good SPf is going to cost 200k to complete. That means a used one is going to be 135-150K depending on spec, condition and to alesser extent age. What helps here as well is limited supply and a few dealers controlling inventory. Of course more cars built can mean saturation, but the numbers are still really small. There are far more Ford Gts about and their price rises.

Of course if SPF ceases production then you have an instant 300k car.

Even still in todays market right now buy a SPF use it for 10 years take a 25-30% hit, not a bad deal, and its not like they break the bank to keep running. A 10 year old ferrari is a 50% or more hit(in $ terms more than the cost of a spf), and the running costs are another 50k on top of that for 10 years, plus a 10 year old ferrari is obsolete, whereas a 10 year old SPF is still a classic and worth keeping, its appeal has lasted 50 years and grows..

Last edited:
Thanks Pat, really it doesn't matter you only live once in my books, but if it doesn't sell I'm ok, just means more work to get it the way I like it. Jeff I'm sure you made a good investment, a few years from now you'll be grinning ear to ear.

Jack

Have you considered pulling the motor and box, sending the box to texas for some different ratios and changing the crank on the motor. You will end up with the car you desire, no less fast just much more rewarding and driveable, plus its a fun and interesting project. In the end you will have the joy of a new car, and it will cost what 20K?. Hard to get a whole new car experience for 20k.

Considder that you are paving the way tot he ultimate desireable Gt40 spec.
Aluminum 351 for 302 like weight and 351 reliability, a revy motor with great hp and soft torque so its driveable, and gear ratios better suited to performance use.

if I did not think of racing my GT40 and thefore speniding crazy $$$ on an iron 302 to make it run like a 351 I would have gone for an under 400 Ci aluminum 351. Taht and your gears are way way too short, stock ratios with a 4.22 is a recipie for wheel spoin with almost any motor.

Jack Houpe

GT40s Supporter
I'm still on the fence but your correct those two changes will make a great all around car for track and for street.

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
There is something odd with the knockoffs. Neither front or rear have any thread protruding from the hub.

They are polished billet aluminum wheel caps. They have the registered GT40 name style carved in their face - no color though. I use them for some shows, but quickly remove them for fun-driving. They easily snap on and off because they were tightly machined and were fitted with a ring washer. I use them for some shows, but quickly remove them for fun-driving. Robert

wheelcaps.jpg

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
But do you remove them for fun driving? That's the question.

When I was much older I could in fact remove them for fun while driving. Now that I'm much younger, and know everything worthy of knowing, I only remove them when I'm driving for fun. All the while along the journey I'm imagining and anticipating escaping the bonds of earth to touch the face of God. It's a thing, and what a thing it tis.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I have caps on mine as well Robert. That is not what I am talking about. It appears that either the car has wheel spacers or the spinners or wheels are not the normal SPF setup. There is no thread protruding past the outside of the knockoff as there should be.

lf6.jpg

I have caps on mine as well Robert. That is not what I am talking about. It appears that either the car has wheel spacers or the spinners or wheels are not the normal SPF setup. There is no thread protruding past the outside of ]

Mike,
I think it's the difference between Mk II Hallibrands and Mk I BRM wheels. I have a set of both for my Mk II and the Hallibrands leave no threads outside the spinners while the BRM style wheels have maybe an inch of threads exposed.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Mike,
I think it's the difference between Mk II Hallibrands and Mk I BRM wheels. I have a set of both for my Mk II and the Hallibrands leave no threads outside the spinners while the BRM style wheels have maybe an inch of threads exposed.

Correct. And so long as all of the knock-off threads are engaged it is sufficient.

Back