rear disc brake actuator

john bach

GT40s Supporter
my SPF2116 spit out the eft rear parking brake actuator. the actuator resembles a brake wheel cylinder. i can only guess that a screw came adrift and got caught between rotating assemblies. the attaching end flanges (2) got broken off . these flanges were countersunk for flathead allen screws that held the actuator to the (screwed into) upright. i recovered the actuator and have been trying to obtain a new one from SPF in Irvine Ca. i guess the factory did not recognize the detailed drawing i sent ( i am a technical illustrator by trade) or the photos i sent because sure enough they sent the wrong part. so last night i started searching the net and found the GM makes a "AC Delco rear parking brake kit 179-2060" that sells on E-Bay for around $80 to $90.00. so this AM i called the local Chevy dealer and they will special order the kit for $163.66. the photos of the kit do not show enough detail to determine if the actuator shown is the one i need. so, i'm asking SPF owners whop might know about said actuator. dont know if Chevy special ordered actuator kit is returnable or if kit on E Bay is returnable. always use loctite?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
John,

Post the photo and we can check it. Plus there are some used pieces available from people who have removed the E brake setup.

john bach

GT40s Supporter
ok,gents, looked at all the pics and read all the blogs in he brake section mentioned. my "brake actuator cylinder" looks like all those shown except mine has the mtg holes in a direct line with center line of cylinder so it looks like same mfr. both ends broken off including holes. question is ... who is manufacturer?

john bach

GT40s Supporter
thanks for the input but no luck. drove to lcal Chevy dealer this am and the parts guy went thru his computer and found nada. except for a '95 C5 Vette actuator which i already got from SPF via So Africa. t looks to me like they may have machined the C5 part to get what i have, except there is not much room let for the countersunk mounting screw holes. and the parts guy pulled up an illustration exploded view of the C5 brake parts and everything is numbered and accounted for except the body of the actuator. must have spent 20 hours on the web looking for this part. i still have the right side working so i'll keep on iooking and maybe send this part back to SPF for a refund. one time So. Africa said the actuator may have been the same as they put on their MK111 Cobra. wish me luck and thanks.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
The SPF "Cobra" uses a Wilwood parking brake system integrated into the caliper so it is NOT the same as the GT40. I understand that the part is modified via machining at Hi Tech so an off the shelf piece won't do the job.

Contact MHNCO (Mike) here via PM as he removed the E-Brake from his car and should have the take-off parts.

john bach

GT40s Supporter
ok, fine and dandy, but who "is Hi- Tech' an how to contact? and who is "MNHCO" and "via pm" and how to contact them. Please spell out. thanks

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Mike is a member based in Colorado, and his user name is MHNCO. If you go to his profile page you can send him a private message. He has more than 1,400 posts on the forum, so he's not hard to find.

Hi-Tech is the manufacturer of Superformance in South Africa. If Mike isn't able to help you, I'd call Lance Stander at Hillbank Motorsports in Irvine. Hillbank is the US importer for Hi-Tech. Hillbank's number is 949-900-1960.

Back