Olthoff Shift Linkage Upgrade - Nice!

Just wanted to follow up on a question I posed to the forum a few months back. Partially under the recommendation from this forum (thank you!) I went ahead and ordered the Olthoff shift linkage upgrade for P2304. When it arrived in the box I was completely underwhelmed. Visually not much to it for the price charged. My skepticism rose.

Just got the car back from having the linkage upgrade installed. What a tremendous difference! It went from feeling like long vague throws with special twists and angles needed to get into the right gear to something that actually has some slotted predictability to it. Tighter shifting, well defined slots for each gear, and not as finicky finding the right gear. On a very mildly spirited 20 mile drive home from the shop, not a single missed upshift or downshift. Really an amazing improvement and well worth every penny.

I was just starting to get used to the stock shift linkage and was beginning to think I could actually live with it. Glad I ordered the upgrade back when I could barely find a gear :)

I'm actually glad I experienced the stock linkage first. It helps me better understand the huge difference the Olthoff linkage upgrade is making. The result is however no where close to a modern sports car - so I advise those expectations be set appropriately. It's still a bit of a challenge, it's still a bit clunky, but at least now it is very predictable and easier to navigate. It has entered the realm of a fun challenge instead of a PITA. You will not for a second forget you are driving 60's technology.

A very nice upgrade!

Also installed the rear clam strut kit. I simply do not know how anyone could live without this upgrade. At least now I can raise the clip single handed to attend to an adjustment if needed. Works very well.

Some cladding has been added to keep rocks from spraying up inside the front clip - saving me rock grind damage on the door hinge paint, and saving me from a rock collection forming near the filler caps.

P2304 is entering the fully sorted phase...just in time for winter :) A few more fall drives are on the docket including a first evening cruise tonight.

- Jeff

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
...the huge difference the Olthoff linkage upgrade is making. The result is however no where close to a modern sports car - so I advise those expectations be set appropriately.

...just like one's expectations should be reset in a number of other areas as well when dealing with what, in reality, is a 50-year-old race car. :D

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Glad to here things are going well, Jeff. Most of us who've had the upgraded linkage installed did it before we drove our cars, so it's nice for you to have that perspective. And the rear clam strut kit is fantastic. You'll never have to worry about a windy day at a car show.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Dennis' knowledge and help makes owning the cars a more enjoyable experience.

Totally agree with you on the shift linkage upgrade. On a related matter anyone else find 1st gear stiff to engage at a full stop? No problem if rolling even a little.

anyone else find 1st gear stiff to engage at a full stop? No problem if rolling even a little.

Yes. Impossible while standing still. Relatively smooth with even the slightest roll. Getting used to shifting it in before coming to a complete stop.

- Jeff

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
Yes. Impossible while standing still. Relatively smooth with even the slightest roll. Getting used to shifting it in before coming to a complete stop.

- Jeff

Ingenuity at it's finest! Well done, sir!!! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Totally agree with you on the shift linkage upgrade. On a related matter anyone else find 1st gear stiff to engage at a full stop? No problem if rolling even a little.
Mine can be hard to get into 1st some of the time. I don't fight it and just slide it into 2nd and let out just enough to start to move and then go back down into 1st. Most of the time it goes into 1st just fine.

Dave Hood

Lifetime Supporter
Same issue with mine, and I follow the same process as Mike. It's only an issue if I'm at a stoplight going uphill. That's always when the guy behind you pulls right up to your tailpipe to take a picture.

Doing a little reading on the ZFs and going into first. One thing I've read is that momentarily sliding it into 2nd will line things up to allow it to shift into first. I don't think that works for my car, but I will try today.

- Jeff

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I am so used to selecting first while rolling to a stop that I do it in other manual cars!

And yes, grab second and give just a little clutch and it will drop right into first!

Now reverse is a whole 'nother ball of snakes..........

Thanks for the advice. Was worried maybe I had damaged the synchros. Funny 2nd selects easier than 1st from a stop.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
My technique for reverse is simple. Slide the shifter into position and apply very light pressure up. At idle begin to release the clutch slowly and it will slide right into gear. I have no problems getting into reverse.

HaHa,

I thought I was the only one.

Well, reading this makes me realize that I don't need to set aside a future weekend devoted solely to adjusting my car's linkage.

My Renault is hard to get into First I do the into second up to first trick as well. Most people when they try my car start in third . It takes time to learn any shifter unless they are really tight.

To funny! Here I've been sweating with adjusting linkage to get it to shift into fifth! First and reverse are relatively smooth...Have been wondering about the Olthoff shift linkage upgrade, after reading the reports here...Got to get one!
Thanks!

Dick Carr, P2127

Steve

Supporter
Dennis is a huge asset to SPF owners. No BS, great advice, great products....and know he doesn't give me a kickback:thumbsup:

Some have asked me to post a photo of the new linkage. Maybe someone else can post a photo of the original linkage?

The biggest visual differences that I can see are as follows. The original linkage has a triangular base plate that bolts to the transaxle in addition to the linkage arms. The upper vertical arm on the original is tapered in steps, where the replacement linkage has a straight continuous taper from base to upper part where the linkage attaches.

- Jeff

Attachments

• IMG_1860.jpg
    IMG_1860.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 557
Here are some shots of the first car done P2125.

Attachments

• rodshifter2.jpg
    rodshifter2.jpg
    59.9 KB · Views: 551
  • rluggageframe.jpg
    rluggageframe.jpg
    76.1 KB · Views: 564
  • steve16.jpg
    steve16.jpg
    64.1 KB · Views: 501

Robert S.

GT40s Supporter
I too had the shift kit installed prior to driving my GT40 or any other one.

Dennis did a great job with this design.

Last year, I drove my car over to RBT in Anaheim and spoke with Lloyd the owner. I was having a slight grind when I attempted to enter second gear. I was concerned. He said it was the linkage and in two minutes he had it fixed.

As he sat in my car and shifted, he was stunned, in a good way, by how short the shift throw was. He also showed me his Pantera that also has a RBT ZF trans. He had me get in and shift, and it was a very long shift, but it was smoother. It's hard to describe correctly because smoother makes it sound light the shift kit is rougher. It's just that with the original linkage, there is more leverage, with the kit the leverage is less. But, for me, it's a good trade off and I like my shift kit.

BTW, he designed and markets a rod shifting system that replaces the GT40 cable shifting system.

I purchased a lot of other components from Dennis, and all was correct and on time.

Robert

Back