Shops in the Thousand Oaks / Ventura County Area?

I have a friend considering the purchase of a GT40 who is looking for a shop that could support the issues that come up with a GT40. He is moving to the Thousand Oaks/Ventura County area. Taking the car all the way to Voss or V's would be a bit of a distance challenge, so wondering if any of you forum members can recommend shops in that area you trust to work on your Superformance GT40s.

Thanks! - Jeff

Hind sight I would've spent the $$$ and shipped the car to Olthoff. Panavia is up in northern Cal and could do the job as well.

My friend is considering a used GT40, so the install will be done. Just looking for shop recommendations that can handle the little stuff that comes up.

- Jeff

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I would say if one needs a shop for the little things then GT40 is not the right car for them. They are reliable cars but you will need to tinker to some degree pretty often to keep them in top shape.

A "car guy" friend is what you need! A friend of mine lives about 1 mile from me with 2 cars. A mid '60's sports coupe and a 1914 open roadster. He does not posess the ability to even replace a wiper blade on his daily driver Expedition! Once he tried removing the wheel on the 1914 and did over $300.00 dollars damage to the wooden spokes on the wheel before giving up. When I arrived after his summonds, I showed him the large nut under the center cap that loostens to remove the wheel (like my GT40 knock off) . He knows simply to call now and we get little and moderate things done on both his cars, saving hundreds of dollars in the process. Although some times it requires tight schedualing to get some things done. I learned how to make spot appearences just to get things done and off I go to get back on my own projects. As mentioned above, a GT40 likely will need some tinkering and adjustment from time to time to keeps thing on the straight nad narrow. I need help at times also. With just over 1,400 miles I found the ZF transaxle leaking at the right side out-put seal and felt squimish about dismantling the suspension parts to access the seal by my self. With help from a friend with far more hands on experence than me, we got it done. Also with his assistance and experence he found the out-put shaft bearing a bit growley when it was in his hand cleaning it. I'am sure I may have missed this. It was the cause of the seal leaking as it was turning out of round enough to allow some leakage, even with just 1,400 miles on it. The point is you just have to reach out for help at times and will be suprised at what occures. especialy with a GT40!

Last edited:
Superformance is in Irvine So Cal, you might want to talk to them. If they can't help I'm sure they will know someone that can.

I certainly understand the little challenges that come with the GT40, but some of us just simply do not have the extra time to wrench on our own cars. I'm sure I could have eventually figured out how to fix the few issues that came up with mine, but it would have taken a few weekends to find the free time needed to figure it out. A quick trip to the shop and a few days later the car is back in working order. That's what I need in a shop. Sometimes it's something I can and want to fix, many times I'd rather just send it to the shop like some parents that send their kids to boarding school :)

- Jeff

Ian Anderson

Lifetime Supporter
Jeff
I hear what you say
Sure I could change the oil and filter, but do I want oil running down my arm, or a slick on my driveway? Nope a garage is the way for me

But being outside London I cannot help with your search for your buddy

Ian

Saw your post, I'm in T.O., Ca., (building a Lola) and I know of a good shop that has the real cars on hand. I'm non sure if they would work on any kit cars but I could ask... contact me...

Gary

Jeff,
used to live there...but not for awhile. These leads could help your friend.
- Ron Weingart Engineer.(has highly refined Superformance Daytona Coupe) in Ventura
Area. I am sure he could help your friend. I could have him call your friend.
- Hawaii Racing, Simi Valley speed shop if still there ( Joe Souza) owner had several stores
In that area, thousand Oaks and Ventura...Knows everyone!
- Bob Jennings Dyno Shop in Van Nuys Ca. Might know someone out in Ventura

Hope that helps...

Dick Carr , P2127

Back