Supporter
January 22 on the science channel......"How It's Made Dream Cars"

Attachments

• How its made GT40.jpg
    How its made GT40.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 792

Ron Earp

Admin
Looking forward to it. My daughter and I starting watching How Its Made when she was only five or six years old. We still flick it on from time to time as it generally has something interesting to watch for a few minutes. Is this a special episode that is longer than the typical 4-8 minutes they give to most topics where they fit three into a thirty minute segment?

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Looking forward to it. My daughter and I starting watching How Its Made when she was only five or six years old. We still flick it on from time to time as it generally has something interesting to watch for a few minutes. Is this a special episode that is longer than the typical 4-8 minutes they give to most topics where they fit three into a thirty minute segment?

These are 30 minute (about 21 minutes real running time) episodes that are different from the regular "How It's Made" episodes with three subjects per show. They did the SPF MK III a couple weeks ago, see here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PmTzhuROb_0

Given the loooong lead time I was quoted the last time I spoke with Lance Stander, shouldn't these Superformance segments be titled, "How Long It Takes to Make?":stunned:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Given the loooong lead time I was quoted the last time I spoke with Lance Stander, shouldn't these Superformance segments be titled, "How Long It Takes to Make?":stunned:

The lead time has shortened with increased production. I have a slot for March build that is open.

And good things take time and are worth the wait!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
It was okay although I wish they would have spent less time focusing on seat construction and more time on the monocoque and chassis construction. I don't want to be too disparaging but there are welds on these chassis that would get you a D- in a high school shop class. Not saying they are not structurally sound but beautiful they are not.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
It was okay although I wish they would have spent less time focusing on seat construction and more time on the monocoque and chassis construction. I don't want to be too disparaging but there are welds on these chassis that would get you a D- in a high school shop class. Not saying they are not structurally sound but beautiful they are not.

Mike,

I agree that they didn't show the stuff we want to see, but we must remember this series is intended to the great unwashed. Between laying out stripes and sewing seats, half the show was used up!

Still it was exposure for the GT40 and I am sure there are a lot of viewers who had no idea you could still purchase a correct type tub based GT40.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
I hope they publish this on the web as a video to download as I did not have that channel in my area..

The Koenigsegg One:1 show that followed was amazing. Only 6 being made and all are spoken for. Over 270 mph top speed. That show got much more in depth than the Superformance segment. I enjoyed how they make their wheels from carbon Fiber. Their new camshaft technology looks interesting also.

I watched both too.

Not bad, all I needed to know about the seats...I did like how he ran the stripe tape through the interior to make sure that the stripes lined up front to back. Hadn't thought of that.

The Koenigsegg segment was better, though.

Ron Earp

Admin
Overall it gave Superformance good exposure. Yes it could have been more technical, but not bad.

My thoughts as well. They covered the chassis adequately for such a show, but definitely were too light on suspension, engine, and drivetrain while overdoing it on seats and wiring. Their shop could definitely use a few upgrades, or at the least bolt that seat rivet machine down to the floor before it hurts someone!

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
or at the least bolt that seat rivet machine down to the floor before it hurts someone!
I started laughing when he laid into it a couple of times for good measure. Um... was that necessary lol? I'm glad they did the show even if I would have taken a different approach.

I had a chance to compare a SF GT40 and a CAV GT40 on display side by side 30 feet apart at the Cobra Bash in Reno in 2006. I went to both cars and was able to climb in to check fitting in the cockpit of each car. I went back and forth quite a bit to where it was finally up-setting the SF rep. The next morning I was down at the display at 6:00 A.M. to wipe down my own car that was there for the event. It was just me and a guard on the whole floor of 200 cars. I took the liberty of lifting the rear clam shell and stepped into the engineless engine bay of the SF car. I was down on my knees checking the welds at the tub. It looked like a high school kid did it! They were mostly done sub-standard. It looked like some one blew they nose on it and painted over it ( I call these Bugger Welds). I was very concern. I then heard a loud voice say "What the hell are you doing in there? I looked up to see Peter Brock peering in at me! I said I was comparing the build quality with the CAV next to it. He then walked me through several other items on the car, some of which he had discussed with Jim Price at Hi-Tech Auto when he was there doing the Daytona Coupe project that he was concern about. Don't get me wrong, I 'am not trashing SF as I actually own one of there products. After watching the guy welding the panels on the program last night, I see why. It was 4 years later that I had a chance to bring a CAV home. So I guess that earns me a ticket to bitch or praise about both products (LOL)!!!!

Last edited:
Back