Buying a used Superformance

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Have you looked through the Superformance board on this forum? Here's a link:

Superformance GT40s - GT40s.com

As I understand it there are some issues with cockpit sealing...but there are more that I can't remember. One of our members, Rick Muck (I think his forum name is Mk IV). is a Superformance dealer and he offers quite a number of kits to address various issues with the SPF product. Once you have enough posts you could send him a PM (private message) and he would help you with your search for information (and probably your search for a used SPF MkI).

Cheers!

Doug

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
If you are concerned with cockpit sealing then a GT40, any GT40 might not be for you :)

Less desirable features:
Loud
Shakes
Hot
Requires some tinkering

More desirable features:
Loud
Shakes
Hot
Requires some tinkering

Perspective :)

You might be better stating what things you want and what things are a no-go from your perspective. Those would be easy to answer.

tom
I've have (had) 4 SPF cars and been around them since 1998 (OLTHOFF RACING). Two GT40s, both MKIIs. Both with 427 FE base engines, Not 351s converted to 427ci. That is why the MkII body was used. I'll speak as a SPF owner. Have an authorized dealer look over the car. They have a list of updates that should be done. Pay them to do a pre-purchase inspection as you would on ANY car. Check all systems and fluid levels. Then drive the car. I bought my 2nd car used from the first owner and knew the car inside and out because of my 8 year friendship with him. I don't think you'll go wrong with the mark. I don't know if you've had a SPF or GT40 before, but I will say its a lot different from your average daily driver and leave you with a smile on your face. Make sure your spouse likes the sound, color, the entry/exit moves, and the fact she will never drive it. Tell her the car is adjusted for the driver (pedals and seats). If they complain about the sound or entry/exit thing, tell her this is a race car not a Camry.

Grady, thanks for the feedback! I love the MK II with that big block! I just couldn't make a deal for one!

I'm working on a MKI with a 302. I'm planning on shipping it to Olthoff to check out!!

I'm buying the car on Monday! So any tips are appreciated!

Thanks,

Tom

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
TB

I have put over 45,000 miles on P/2264 and I just love it!

I really think the important thing to remember is this is essentially a 1960's British race car. If you are expecting a refined "super car" you will be disappointed, but as 1960's British race cars go, it is wonderful, strong and well built.

Not a daily driver, but certinally a great weekend car. I'm out almost every weekend, you will need to tinker with her from time to time, but she has been incredibly dependable.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Jim, do you do your own maintenance? How many times have you fiddled around with wheel bearing and dust cover maintenance? Other than keeping the car clean and flushing all the fluids each year, that's about the only thing I can think of that seems to require additional maintenance over most other sports cars. A different and less than original upright and sealed bearing design would be helpful in that area.

Jim, you remain my hero. 45K and counting. :thumbsup: Hope all is well out in CA. Any plans to come back this way? Would love to take you to dinner.

As for the original post......I've never owned a SPF but most of what has been said could be said for other brands. My CAV drives, sounds, handles just like I expect it to....a 1960's race car. You can tone them down or up depending on what you're after. I currently run my CAV with minimal interior carpeting, Mega phone exhaust and dressed it up to look like it just came off the track.

As others have noted...depending on what you're looking for this car (GT40) can and should put a smile on your face. I smile every time I open the garage door.

One other point mentioned, drive one if you can before buying. Good luck and post pics once you've got it.

Guys, thanks for the feedback!! The GT 40 is exactly what I want. A few years ago I was looking to buy a mid engine race car and convert it for the street. I'm a Hot Rod guy at heart! I own a couple of other mid engine cars, built for the street, so what I really want is a track car for the street!

Jim Craik

Lifetime Supporter
Jimmy,

I hope to make it out to the Daytona Historics, looks like a great event!

One day I hope to enter my LMP car, but that is a few years off. I hope to make it out before then to see you and Pat and Debbie.

Mike,

I do most of my maintenance, often with the help of my friend Alan Watkins who use to paticipate here, a very knowlegable GT40 guy who is greatly missed!

As of yet, absolutley no wheel bearing problems. I often jack her up and check, but so far all bearings remain tight, the wheels just spin and spin...

Last edited:
TB,

To echo what others have said...this is not your ordinary daily driver. I drive mine to work 1-2 times a week, and many weekends...but frankly, I drove my Kirkham (cobra) more.

Ingress and egress are not easy, as least for taller folks, and vision in any direction except straight ahead is severely compromised. You have to think about where you're going to park to make sure that you can always get the driver's door all the way open...you'll look funny crawling on the ground otherwise. And, beware approach angles...I've dragged the nose of my car on the ground more times than I care to think about. You probably don't need heat...I never hooked mine up. But, be darned sure the air-con works.

My wife won't ride in mine, but she wouldn't get into the cobra either. On the other hand, my son asks me to take him to school in it all the time, and all of my employee's (at least those with Y chromosomes) have asked for rides.

It's loud and it smells, but can be as reliable and any other older car.

Other than comfort / convenience issues, one thing to keep in mind is that the car's limits are so high (speed and handling wise), you really can't explore them on the street. The old adage "Its more fun to drive a slow car fast than a fast car slow" does apply frequently. Not that a GT40 isn't great fun on the street, but it really is bread for the race track. I used to take my old Porsche 912 out on curvy back roads and drift the thing from corner to corner at 8-9 tenths. I wouldn't dare drive the GT anywhere near its limits on the street. Others might, but I'd save that kind of fun for the track.

Ron, beautifully stated sir.

Jim, will look forward to seeing you later this year at the Historic's. I enjoyed last years event. Dinner's on me. Pat, you and Deb included.

Pat

Supporter
These cars are certainly not for everyone and Jim you are so fortunate to be able to put 45K on your Superformance. From a distance standpoint, that's 15 LeMans 24s!

On the domestic front, my wife says the time we are riding in the '40 is the only time she has a captive audience for her various thoughts du jour. Most weekend afternoons it's "how about a '40 ride" if the weather is nice and granddaughter is not visiting.

Jimmy, we're looking forward to another Daytona HSR and Jim, you need to talk Fran in to joining in the festivities! It will be another great time.

Back