1965 spf gt40 sold

Unsure if this has been posted by anyone but Russo and Steele recently sold a MK II.

1965 Ford Superformance GT40
Vehicle to be offered for Auction sale WITHOUT RESERVE and SOLD to the highest bidder January 27-31, 2016 at Russo and Steele’s 16th Annual Scottsdale, Arizona Auction. Please co…
Sold: $101,750.00

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Not bad for a Mk2 at auction. No reserve now that would be scary given the way gt40s don't seem to appeal to beer swilling, gold chain wearing, auction attendees.

Mike, duly noted. As they say in the auction game.....this car was "well bought." Looks to have a nice motor with injection and a solid car overall.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
I have said before those auctions are NOT the place for a product like the SPF GT40. They will only sell to bottom trolling buyers who know they are stealing the car. Figure that even if the chassis is an early unit that sold at $69,900 by the time you add the transaxle, the engine, the other parts and NO allowance for labor you are at 100K (and likely a bunch more!)

Mark my words, this MK II will show up here or somewhere else listed for $169,000.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Don't sell your GT40 at auction and buy a MkI :)

... if resale is your main concern

Doug S.

The protoplasm may be 72, but the spirit is 32!
Lifetime Supporter
Yes...but those of us who follow the auction events believe that the prices paid set the market price for used exotics, whether it is a Ford GT of a SPF GT40 Replica.

It may not be a pretty reality, but it is an indication of what buyers are willing to pay (don't forget to add the buyer's premium and the cost of transportation, though...those, too, are legitimate costs of acquisition).

Cheers!!!

Doug

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Yes...but those of us who follow the auction events believe that the prices paid set the market price for used exotics, whether it is a Ford GT of a SPF GT40 Replica.

It may not be a pretty reality, but it is an indication of what buyers are willing to pay (don't forget to add the buyer's premium and the cost of transportation, though...those, too, are legitimate costs of acquisition).

Cheers!!!

Doug

Doug,

I respectfully disagree! the buyers at most auctions do NOT go there looking for this type of product. They are "opportunity" purchasers who see a steal and run with it. I can document numerous SPF GT40 sales at WAY more than the auction even with fees, etc.

I know if Lance from Hillbank had been there and not set up at Barrett he would have snapped that up in an instant and it would now be on his floor at $169,900......................

Larry L.

Lifetime Supporter
I know if Lance from Hillbank had been there and not set up at Barrett he would have snapped that up in an instant and it would now be on his floor at $169,900......................

He already has a titanium '66 MKII sitting there @ $165K...no f.i. on it, but... Anyway, that car has been "sitting there" at that price for quite some time now.

Scottsdale Motorsports (on "Hayden" now...'was on "Raintree" then) sold a very low mile Heritage MKI 'a couple' years back. They had asked $110K for it. What it actually sold for I have no idea. My somewhat vague point here is I'm at a loss to understand why 'used'(?) GT40s have just suddenly shot up in their supposed value over the past year or so. Yeah, I know "rollers" have gone up in price, but, still...

The fact that I'm a tightwad might be contributing to my puzzlement...

Last edited:
I disagree that the auction market is what sets the price standard. Some cars are better sold at auction, but most are not. The owner may have needed cash quickly.
The price hike I'm sure is all supply and demand. For one, I am pleased to see Superformance keeping value by not flooding the market with these cars. And with the price hike and adding the driveline, you end up at $150K or more.

Cheers!!!

Doug

An SPF GT40 Mk l was advertised and sold recently in the UK for £140k (approx.$200k).............

It was right hand drive with a right hand gear shift

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Some cars are better sold at auction, but most are not. The owner may have needed cash quickly.

Point well made Gus. Auctions are great for the "1 of 1" or a "story" car (Enzo Ferrari got a hummer in this Fiat Topolino from Gina Lollabrigida, etc.)

And the dirty little secret that many "sold" cars at the TV auctions are in fact, not sold but move on to the next event with the previous "sale" price as a basis for the new value does not reveal the true value.

Anything on any given day is worth what someone will pay for it.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
My somewhat vague point here is I'm at a loss to understand why 'used'(?) GT40s have just suddenly shot up in their supposed value over the past year or so. Yeah, I know "rollers" have gone up in price, but, still...

The fact that I'm a tightwad might be contributing to my puzzlement...

I was thinking tire kicker myself. Why did FGT prices go up? Because some blowhard in AK colluded with a couple other blowhards and soon all the blowhards starting chirping about how their cars were would soon be worth $1mill. Seeing how effective that technique was has now convinced everyone else to just start pulling #s out of their backsides and that is now what they are worth. You wouldn't get near my car for less than $200k ;)

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
.........You wouldn't get near my car for less than $200k ;)

That's my sentiment too Mike! That’s because we’re smitten and have an emotional attachment to the damn thing. Looking at in sit in ‘my’ garage is much more appealing than looking at six figures on my bank statement or some sort of appreciating asset, that’s no fun! But true fact is, these are no different than any other car. Costly, depreciating toys that sometimes make you lie to your wife (now ex-wife in may case). Wow, $200k really?! It even makes me lie to myself.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
I've got more than that in it so yeah. If I was desperate I suppose that would change but I'm never desperate so that's pretty close to the number. I should snap some pics of it right now. In a million pieces inside and out. This car has been touched everywhere and is perfect ;)

Back