P2334 Transaxle is IN!

Finally, after a couple of start/stop cycles, the Quaife ZFQ is installed.

The ZFQ/Quicktime bellhousing combo offers only four attach points, at 8 o'clock, 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock, and 4 o'clock. The ZFQ has addition threaded holes in the casting at 11:30 and 12:30, which we wanted to use. Had to get creative and make some metrics studs, then modify the bellhousing a little to allow some room for jet nets on the forward side. All in all, it was a good night and happy to have 6 attach points versus the 4.

Now to wiring and plumbing.

Attachments

• 20160803_221446.jpg
    20160803_221446.jpg
    251.7 KB · Views: 456
  • 20160803_221432.jpg
    20160803_221432.jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 513

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
My Quicktime bell housing has openings all the way around including at the top. I too made some metric studs but used nylon lock nuts to secure. When is the first start planned?

Have Quicktime addressed the two missing lower attach lugs on bottom of bell housing at approx 5/7 o'clock on the engine face that ties into the lower area of the horse collar, seem to remember one of the other SPF owners was going to approach Quicktime about this, makes life a lot easier on the engine mounts and limits engine trans movement.

Finally, after a couple of start/stop cycles, the Quaife ZFQ is installed.

The ZFQ/Quicktime bellhousing combo offers only four attach points, at 8 o'clock, 10 o'clock, 2 o'clock, and 4 o'clock. The ZFQ has addition threaded holes in the casting at 11:30 and 12:30, which we wanted to use. Had to get creative and make some metrics studs, then modify the bellhousing a little to allow some room for jet nets on the forward side. All in all, it was a good night and happy to have 6 attach points versus the 4.

Now to wiring and plumbing.

Hi Tim,

I'm discovering your post and I've seen you have the same car as me (P2193 - MKII / Roush 427IR / ZFQ).

Be careful with your ZFQ. I've seen on your pictures that you haven't the oil pump installed and it's absolutly necessary on this type of gearbox ! I needed to replace the crown wheel + pinion on mine at 7000miles because there's a lack of lubrication if no oil pump. Quaife knows that problem but still sells this gearbox with no oil pump. It's not a problem for them because they will sell you the new pinion + crown wheel for 3000$ + oil pump for 400$ (labor not included of course...).

So my recommendation is to install as soon as possible the oil pump for your gearbox. The radiator is not necessary if you don't race the car during hours and hours.

Concerning your Roush engine be careful too with the camshaft and distributor gear ==> on mine they installed a bad combination and one day the engine stops ==> the reason was that the camshaft gear was totally destroyed by the distributor gear. There was thin metal chips everywhere in the engine. I needed to remove it, clean it, replace oil pump, camshaft, lifters and I had luck nothing on pistons/cylinders/rings. ==> I know many people who had problems with Roush engines and bad combination with camshaft gear/distributor gear.

Otherwise if you ever have any questions or problems I may help you as I've 100% rebuild my car the last winter (new tub).

ROBY427

Thanks, guys.

Mike: First start planned for around Oct. 1, assuming current pace and minimal complications. Video to follow.

jac mac: No, they haven't addressed that. Still 6 bolts - none of them lower than about 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock.

OliveR: Thanks for the advice on the ZFQ and Roush. I'll get the pump for the ZFQ immediately. On the Roush - was the root cause the wrong material of gear? I know you have to have a hardened steel gear with a roller cam like ours. What did Roush say? I'm a little surprised it didn't show up in the dyno pulls. Anyway, I'll watch carefully during first starts and oil change.

Thanks again.

Thanks, guys.

Mike: First start planned for around Oct. 1, assuming current pace and minimal complications. Video to follow.

jac mac: No, they haven't addressed that. Still 6 bolts - none of them lower than about 9 o'clock and 3 o'clock.

OliveR: Thanks for the advice on the ZFQ and Roush. I'll get the pump for the ZFQ immediately. On the Roush - was the root cause the wrong material of gear? I know you have to have a hardened steel gear with a roller cam like ours. What did Roush say? I'm a little surprised it didn't show up in the dyno pulls. Anyway, I'll watch carefully during first starts and oil change.

Thanks again.

You're right Tim it was a wrong material gear. On which gear (cam or distributor) ? I will never know. As the engine was out of warranty... you can imagine the answer from Roush...
I bought the new camshaft and dist gear to B2-Motorsports (Brent Lykins) and since 9000 miles all is ok (I've checked again the 2 gears few days ago).

OliveR

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Have Quicktime addressed the two missing lower attach lugs on bottom of bell housing at approx 5/7 o'clock on the engine face that ties into the lower area of the horse collar, seem to remember one of the other SPF owners was going to approach Quicktime about this, makes life a lot easier on the engine mounts and limits engine trans movement.
Which bolts are at 5/7 o'clock?

2015100301.jpg

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Yes, I knew that but Jac seemed to indicate engine face to bellhousing mounts at 5/7.

Sorry for the confusion, I had to refresh my own memory, I think on the T44 those bolts go right thru the lower horse collar to lugs on the dry sump pan. However I was referring to those lugs in the attached pic of post #10 above by Rick, IIRC it was Kirby Schrader & Mike Trusty who had both found it necessary to add tabs to their Steel bell housings to utilise those extra mounts.
I wondered if Q/Time had been asked to add it on their bell housings.

Back