Fuel Cell Removal

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Any threads here on procedure to 'remove & replace' a fuel cell bladder. All I can find (search) is it's necessary to remove front suspension and remove from sponson through front wheel well cover. Any tips or tricks would be appreciated. Tim

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Unless your car was modified, you do not have a "fuel cell", you have a stainless tank. Removal is easy once the front suspension is removed. After the sponson front cover is removed you will have access to the filler hose and the tabs that retain the tank. Remove the oval aluminum closures on the top of the sponson and you can access the sending unit lead (right hand side only) and the fuel lines. Once unhooked, they will slide out.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Thanks a million Rick.

I've never had to confirm until now but my "R" was advertised and sold as FIA FT3 fuel cells.

Inspection with the front sponson cover off, appears a cell inserted in an aluminum shell within the confines of the sponson ribs.

1) What's the procedure to get access to the fill hose at the cell?
2) Will cell clear if only the upright & hub assembly is removed or is full suspension removal (wishbones) necessary?
3) edited, answered my own question
4) edited, answered my own question.

I removed access panel, top rear of sponson, and it appears maybe the fuel cell cracked right at the juncture of the cross over tube and the cell. Cell needs to come out

Tim

Last edited:

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Thanks a million Rick.

I've never had to confirm until now but my "R" was advertised and sold as FIA FT3 fuel cells.

Inspection with the front sponson cover off, appears a cell inserted in an aluminum shell within the confines of the sponson ribs.

1) What's the procedure to get access to the fill hose at the cell?
2) Will cell clear if only the upright & hub assembly is removed or is full suspension removal (wishbones) necessary?
3) edited, answered my own question
4) edited, answered my own question.

I removed access panel, top rear of sponson, and it appears maybe the fuel cell cracked right at the juncture of the cross over tube and the cell. Cell needs to come out

Tim

Fill hoses are accessed via the holes in the door hinge pillar, remover the round plastic closure plugs and you will see the tube and clamps. You may be able to slide the tank out with the front upright and shock/spring unit removed and the control arms at the limits of jounce/rebound. Not a bad time to inspect the arm pivot bearings and clean/lube them.

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
Good suggestion Rick. I'll do a full service on the front suspension but first the removal of the cell. I was hoping the filler hose access was through the plastic closure plugs as you recommend but I didn't want to break the seal until I was sure, thanks.

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
Good suggestion Rick. I'll do a full service on the front suspension but first the removal of the cell. I was hoping the filler hose access was through the plastic closure plugs as you recommend but I didn't want to break the seal until I was sure, thanks.

They are held in with some spots of silicone type adhesive, pry 'em out!

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
After removal of the fuel cells and replaced with factory stainless tanks I'm in need of the plastic closure plugs at the door hinge pillar holes. Where to buy? McMaster Carr had some similar but not a perfect fit. Any suggestions?

Tim Kay

Lifetime Supporter
I did too Mike but I found the adrenaline being chased and ticketed by the CHP more appealing, how about you!!

Back