flat tow

I seriously doubt anyone has ever tried it. Why? I would never attempt it with my mark I, other than maybe a tow back to the paddock during a track event.

If you can take your hands off the steering going down the road and it will self center/drive straight in a curve if you let it go it will flat tow. Rack has no more effect than any other type of mechanism. Not sure why you would want to though- just tow it a short distance to a shop maybe because its not going. Are we talking A-Frame or rope/strap?

john bach

GT40s Supporter
the tow bar is made from a '32 Ford front wish bone. i have used it before to tow my '32 Fords. i have filled in the front lifting slots on the GT and have holes in the fill-ins for tow bar holes. i had occasion to flat tow to my favorite mechanic in Ventura and because i did not have lights hooked up my son rode in the GT to apply turn signals or brake pressure when i made turns or stopped. i asked him today and he did'nt remember turning the strg wheel. the reason i asked is because i am planning on taking the GT on the track at Willow Springs mothers day weekend next year. and because the track is about 200 + miles from home and if i break some thing i could tow it home with my son in GT and me towing in Ranchero. now i have lights for towing and a sign that says "CAUTION CAR IN TOW"

200 mile, yes we used to do that years ago, BUT given the transaxle is one of the single most expensive bits of the car and its not 'normal' for those gears to spin on those stationary shafts while in neutral for that length in time I think I would rather use a light car trailer, probably put the GT on backwards to ensure enough weight on tow bar.
Had an ugly scene at my road gate a week back where tow car got written off plus trailer and car on it damaged simply because of poor loading distribution.

the tow bar is made from a '32 Ford front wish bone. i have used it before to tow my '32 Fords. i have filled in the front lifting slots on the GT and have holes in the fill-ins for tow bar holes. i had occasion to flat tow to my favorite mechanic in Ventura and because i did not have lights hooked up my son rode in the GT to apply turn signals or brake pressure when i made turns or stopped. i asked him today and he did'nt remember turning the strg wheel. the reason i asked is because i am planning on taking the GT on the track at Willow Springs mothers day weekend next year. and because the track is about 200 + miles from home and if i break some thing i could tow it home with my son in GT and me towing in Ranchero. now i have lights for towing and a sign that says "CAUTION CAR IN TOW"

Dude. Seriously????

I race in the 24 Hours of Lemons series. $500 race cars. Not one of us would lower ourselves that much.

If you have a Ranchero and can afford a GT40, you can certainly afford to buy or rent an open trailer. Don't risk wrecking your car for such a silly reason.

Plus, have you NO pride???? :thumbsdown:

This question is so 'out there' I almost wonder if it's a hoax...

john bach

GT40s Supporter
was just askin', ya know. did'nt say i was gonna do it. tried to get in touch with RBT asking about flat tow but they have moved, sent e mail to them a week ago but no reply, anyone know neww addrees or phone for RBT?

a trailer low is perfect to go to a circuit or to the mechanic in case of breakdown

Attachments

• GT40 Brian James (2).jpg
    GT40 Brian James (2).jpg
    412.4 KB · Views: 570
Dude. Seriously????

I race in the 24 Hours of Lemons series. $500 race cars. Not one of us would lower ourselves that much.

If you have a Ranchero and can afford a GT40, you can certainly afford to buy or rent an open trailer. Don't risk wrecking your car for such a silly reason.

Plus, have you NO pride???? :thumbsdown:

This question is so 'out there' I almost wonder if it's a hoax...

Wont flat tow a $500.00 Le Mons entry, but its no problem for this $########## deal, ??

Attachments

• 061212-F-7543R-012.JPG
    061212-F-7543R-012.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 408

john bach

GT40s Supporter
been e-mailing all i could find about RBT/ZF transaxles for info. So far only heard from Dennis Olthoff. Quote "John, no problem doing that. I would use Bungee cord to tie the steering wheel in the straight position to stop any wobble Watch for stone damage. Cheers, Dennis? I will wait for more responses. have time to wait. Willow is not 'till next Mothers day weekend 2018. Thanks for that Dennis.

You or any ZF/ZFQ-transaxle owner might want to think about this before you flat tow at highway speed for any great distance without engine running.

Re-calc on RPM differential!!

Attachments

• 3730064915_6B654C72193046F9A01A09EBE7D69132.jpg
    3730064915_6B654C72193046F9A01A09EBE7D69132.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 424
Last edited:

john bach

GT40s Supporter
i asked Lloyd Butfoy" I have SPF GT40 Mk2 with RBT 5 spd. wonder if i can "flat tow"from Willow Springs race track to home,about 200 miles?"

Mr. Butfoys answer? "Yes. thank you"

so thank you guys for your good advise and yes. it's not a hoax.

Best of luck, thought did occur to me. If you have the sort of luck I have any failure would be of the type where car has to be put on a trailer for homeward trip, eg suspension damage or other stuff that prevents 'A' frame flat tow.

Mike

Lifetime Supporter
Compared to the value of these cars, trailer rental is cheap. I hope you have very effective mud flaps. Put your face right behind the rear tires and see how it feels being sand blast with road debris. Yikes!

John,

With all due respect, I think you're nuts for even considering this. Trailers are cheap, repairs to your GT40 most definitely are not.

Ron

john bach

GT40s Supporter
well, considering that Lloyd Butfoy of RBT transaxles himself and Dennis Olthoff of Olthoff Racing says i can do this safely i feel sure that all will be good. and, i think they know more than you do. but i will go to U Haul and check the distance between fenders of the 2 wheel trailer against width of
the '40s rear fenders i'm thinking that the angle of the car backwards on the trailer the chin of the '40 will be dragging on the ground. just guessin, mind you. and dragging a full size trailer up there in case the car does breakdown just does'nt seem practical. i'll let all know. thanks, all for your concerns. really.

Randy V

Moderator-Admin
Staff member
Admin
Lifetime Supporter
It's just a bloody replica - drag it with a rope, hang a tire over the tailgate of the Ranchero with a bungee cord to cushion the blow when the GT catches up!
:thumbsup:

Piece of cake!

Rick Muck- Mark IV

GT40s Sponsor
Supporter
well, considering that Lloyd Butfoy of RBT transaxles himself and Dennis Olthoff of Olthoff Racing says i can do this safely

John, "Just because you CAN doesn't mean you SHOULD!" I suspect you have added the "safely" adjective to the "can do". I know Dennis well enough to see him laughing at this idea and waiting for the entertaining You Tube videos to be posted on line.

Methinks you are really enjoying tweaking up the general populace here with this idea.

Again.....U Haul rents open trailers. Break the '40, go rent one, drop off when home. Problem solved.

Back